Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-01-2014, 06:55 AM   #541
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I am two books ahead of my target, which is 60 for the year. I read more slowly these days, partly because I read some more solid books - classics, non-fiction, etc - and also because I have competing interests such as photography and family history.

So I'm getting there but not breaking any records doing so.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #542
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I started 4 books in the month of May and finished none. It's been a bad month, and I've been distracted. However, I'm still one book ahead of my challenge of 30 books/year, because I've read a lot in past months.

Hopefully June will be better.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #543
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
I started 4 books in the month of May and finished none. It's been a bad month, and I've been distracted.
Sorry to hear that. I hope your next book catches your attention.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #544
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I've passed the halfway mark on my book total, but I have 62% remaining of my purchased unread book balance to get through still.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #545
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm doing quite well on my target of 120 books read (or abandoned). If my current rate continues, I'll actually hit 150 books, and that doesn't count short stories (though I am keeping track of them.) Not exactly Paul's level, but we do what we can. And I'm overall doing fairly well at not buying a lot of books I won't ever get around to reading. Not quite as well on that goal as the main quantity goal. But my "keeping my list up to date goal" is so far doing moderately well. So, I'm pleased.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2014, 02:52 AM   #546
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Sorry to hear that. I hope your next book catches your attention.
Oh I didn't abandon any of them. Frankly all 4 are really good books. It's just that one is an anthology so I don't expect to read that in one go, second book is a re-read of one of my all time favorites. Book 3 is The Time Machine by H. G. Wells and book 4 is Royal Assassin (Farseer #2) by Robin Hobb.

It's not the books, they are very entertaining, it's my concentration. I had none of it in May.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #547
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I'm doing fine reading-wise - at 58 books now (out of the target of 120 for the year), which puts me eight books ahead of schedule.

I have also kept up with all the reading-related subchallenges.

I've done less well with the buying books challenge - ended May at 15 ebooks bought for myself instead of the target average of 10.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #548
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm doing pretty well. I'm half way through my sub-challenges, now, with almost a month to spare, and right at this second my TBR challenge (add no more than twice as many as I remove) is on target.

I will, however, be taking a big hit to the TBR from the Hugo voter packet, which, I learned from the bargains forum, was released a couple of days ago. (I'm not sure what happened to the promised email notification. Maybe they are staggering them to try to spread the server load a bit.) Luckily this will largely be short fiction, so I should be able to get through a good chunk of it quite quickly.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #549
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Yesterday, I completed book #73, which puts me 11 books ahead of "schedule" to complete 150 books by the end of the year. I've accomplished this milestone by virtue of reading straight through a couple of series which have not-so-long books. (The Phryne Fisher series by Kerry Greenwood is averaging 240 pages or page equivalents per book.) Since I have a secondary goal of reading 50,000 pages during the year, I'm about 2000 pages behind schedule. In a short while, I'll update my challenge post

I am also on a self-imposed book purchasing ban. I am only allowing myself to buy gifts for other people and to spend gift cards (and the promotional credit from the publisher settlement). My kids gave me a big gift card to Amazon for my birthday last month, so I've got my eyes on two books which are to be released in June. Biggest impact to my moratorium on book buying is that I can't take advantage of the Baen monthly bundles.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:02 AM   #550
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
I'm on track to reach my target but this month has been a little slow. Usually I read about 8 books a month but my reading interest has declined. It happens sometimes - I just get sick of reading, no matter how good the book. Enjoying going through the DCI Banks series of Peter Robinson, but moving at a slow pace. Maybe it's because the weather has been improving, so long days cosy on the couch with tea and a book is on the decline.

EDIT: I just realised that I went from 160 karma to over 8000 in a matter of days. What in the what now?? Anyway, thanks to whomever did that (is there a way to check?)

Last edited by CharredScribe; 06-03-2014 at 05:04 AM.
CharredScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:34 AM   #551
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharredScribe View Post
EDIT: I just realised that I went from 160 karma to over 8000 in a matter of days. What in the what now?? Anyway, thanks to whomever did that (is there a way to check?)
To see who left you karma, click on UserCP just below the Mobileread logo in the upper left. This takes you to the User Control Panel, and on the right, below your list of subscribed topics, you'll see "Latest Reputation Received". That's your karma. You can see which post triggered it by clicking on the link.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #552
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I will, however, be taking a big hit to the TBR from the Hugo voter packet
Looks like the damage is, provisionally, 39 items, although "only" 10 or 11 of them are book-length.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #553
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
To see who left you karma, click on UserCP just below the Mobileread logo in the upper left. This takes you to the User Control Panel, and on the right, below your list of subscribed topics, you'll see "Latest Reputation Received". That's your karma. You can see which post triggered it by clicking on the link.
Ah, I see
CharredScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:06 AM   #554
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I have several books in progress and hopefully can finish The Big Sleep before I go to bed tonight. I'm having surgery tomorrow morning, so I'll have to see how Ghost by Jim Butcher in audio goes while on pain meds. I'm about 1/3 of the way through that.

I'm on par for my annual challenge - not ahead or behind. I'm behind on most of my subchallenges, but once I finish the Dresden Files series, should be able to catch up with those.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:40 AM   #555
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt like they have been going slower lately. Despite this, I'm 59 books towards my 80 book target for this year. I'm not going to raise my target as September to December will be very busy, so I'm leaving my target as is and any extra books are a bonus. I've recently discovered The Sword and Laser podcast, a Sci-Fi/Fantasy podcast, and their book suggestions have given me even more books to read. I'm currently reading their book club book for this month, Promise of Blood, by Brian MCclellan, which is looking good. Oh well, I'm just thankful for the Amazon wishlist function, so I don't feel I have to buy and read everything at once, and don't have piles of DTB's and thousands of ebooks looking at me.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote