Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 07-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
Kaitlyn2004
Kaitlyn2004 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Convert PDF to readable format?

I've got a new Kobo Glo and am playing around with one of the few eBooks I already have, which is a PDF ("Agile Product Management with Scrum")

Reading this as-is on the Kobo seems horribly inefficient - need to zoom, pan, etc.

I tried using Calbre to convert to epub which seemed to work fine but the formatting is quite screwed up and I wouldn't exactly call it readable.

Are there any good solutions to make the PDFs readable on the Kobo - whether PDF or another format?
Kaitlyn2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Tips on converting PDFs:

Sticky: Read this before Posting PDF Questions

You might look into installing KOReader, an alternative PDF viewer.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004 View Post
I've got a new Kobo Glo and am playing around with one of the few eBooks I already have, which is a PDF ("Agile Product Management with Scrum")
PDF is designed as a final/output format... it is absolutely atrocious as an input/middleman format.

Sounds to me like this is quite a technical book, with lots of figures/diagrams/other fancy typography (probably a bunch of sidebars, information boxes, formulas, etc. etc.), which is probably up there for some of THE WORST material to convert into EPUB without the original source documents.

You might be able to use k2pdfopt in order to chop the margins from the PDF, which might make the PDF fit slightly better on a smaller screen:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144711

If the company doesn't sell an EPUB version, and only gives out a PDF, you sadly might just be forced into reading this book on a larger screen (large tablet, monitor, etc. etc.).

It is just physically impossible to fit a book designed for 7"x10" or 8.5"x11" on a tinier screen. (Hence, the annoying panning/scanning you are doing).

Side Note: Are you aware of this fantastic introduction/presentation, "Agile Product Ownership in a Nutshell"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=502ILHjX9EE

I went to a lecture/presentation on Agile Development a few months ago, and the speaker showed off a portion of that video... it is absolutely fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004 View Post
I tried using Calbre to convert to epub which seemed to work fine but the formatting is quite screwed up and I wouldn't exactly call it readable.
Heh....

If you still want to tackle it (I wouldn't recommend tackling such a complex book, especially for someone who never did it before). I wrote quite in depth about it in these topics:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223817
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228413
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234146

Long story short, you have to run it through OCR (Optical Character Recognition), and LOTS AND LOTS of manual fixing.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 07-20-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
1. Use whatever software you want to use to convert the PDF > ePub.
2. Use Sigil to load the ePub for editing.
3. A/B compare the entire PDF to the entire ePub.
4. Fix any errors/formatting errors while A/B comparing.
5. Done!

That is the only way to do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:35 PM   #5
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
My PDF conversion tips page: http://willus.com/k2pdfopt/pdf_conversion.shtml
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:19 AM   #6
Janet16
Enthusiast
Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Zamzar is free:http://www.zamzar.com/
But file size up to 100MB, if exceeded, you need to pay.
Janet16 is offline   Reply With Quote