Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Best stand alone novels - any genre, any author

Hi All,

Lately I've been wanting to expand my field of reading....new authors and new genres. So I'm looking for ideas.

I don't want to say too much about what I like to read as the idea is to branch out to things different to what I normally read. However........

I love all sorts of science fiction.
Been getting into urban fantasy a bit but have gone off epic fantasy.
I like the book to have a good pace but am not averse to a well written slower paced book that is interesting.

So why "stand alone" novels?

I want to try new stuff but when I read I like to know how the story ends so I don't want to get hooked into a series unless I know I like the genre or author.

It's fine if the suggested book is part of a series so long as the book can be read, understood and enjoyed(and "finishes") without the need to read to read the other books in the series.

So hit me with your best shots please!

Cheers,
PKFFW

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-06-2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: changed "along" to "alone"
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:03 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you into legal thrillers? John Grisham writes some real "page turners".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 03:19 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Hmm, most Urban Fantasy I can think of is series based. Maybe 'War for the Oaks' by Emma Bull.

For SciFi maybe 'In Fury Born' ( an extended version of Path of the Fury) by David Weber. It's $6 DRM free from Baen or you should be able to get it off a 5th Imperium CD.

EDIT: Well it seems that 'War for the Oaks' isn't for sale as an ebook (if that matters to you), which is kinda strange since Tor gave it away as a free ebook a few years ago.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-04-2010 at 03:22 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Hmm, most Urban Fantasy I can think of is series based. Maybe 'War for the Oaks' by Emma Bull.

For SciFi maybe 'In Fury Born' ( an extended version of Path of the Fury) by David Weber. It's $6 DRM free from Baen or you should be able to get it off a 5th Imperium CD.

EDIT: Well it seems that 'War for the Oaks' isn't for sale as an ebook (if that matters to you), which is kinda strange since Tor gave it away as a free ebook a few years ago.
Isn't that a MacMillian Book? Wouldn't it be caught up in the agency debacle?
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
PKFFW,

You might enjoy Michael Connelly's crime and legal thrillers. They're certainly fast-paced.

Many of his books feature his LA detective, Harry Bosch. They're not a series, but most of the titles make references to incidents and characters in the other books.

But his best book (in my opinion) is The Lincoln Lawyer, which is completely stand-alone. Based on what I can glean about your tastes, I think you'll like it.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashira View Post
Isn't that a MacMillian Book? Wouldn't it be caught up in the agency debacle?
Yes, it would be a MacMillan (Tor) book, but as far as I know Agency titles are available most places now. That book however is MIA.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
For Urban Fantasy, i really like Orson Scott Card's stand alone books like Lost Boys and Homebody. Also Neil Gaiman writes lots of Urban Fantasy and all of it is essentially standalone - Neverwhere, American Gods, Anansi Brothers, Stardust...

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
+1 for Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card. The ending caught me completely off guard....and took my emotions through quite the loop. I had my wife read it and she was hit so hard she was actually mad at me. But in a good way.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes, it would be a MacMillan (Tor) book, but as far as I know Agency titles are available most places now. That book however is MIA.
Huh. Must have missed that. Still. It looks like an interesting book, too.

I second American Gods. (The link is just to Inkmesh You can get it several places)
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #10
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Hi All,

Lately I've been wanting to expand my field of reading....new authors and new genres. So I'm looking for ideas.

<snip>
I love all sorts of science fiction.
Been getting into urban fantasy a bit but have gone off epic fantasy.
I like the book to have a good pace but am not averse to a well written slower paced book that is interesting.

<snip>

Cheers,
PKFFW
Hi PKFFW,

for science-fiction: Rendezvous with Rama by A. C. Clark; Dune (of course!); Forge of God by Greg Bear, and if you like it, Anvil of Stars is a follow-up.

For something that approaches the supernatural without delving too deeply, John Connolly is excellent.

Someone I just discovered recently: Mick Herron. somewhat literary, but his books are thrillers, through-and-through, with lashings of humor.

Cheers,

Michael P
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies people, much appreciated.

I do enjoy a good legal thriller when it comes to movies so might give that genre a go.

I had actually forgotten about Neil Gaiman, having read American Gods but nothing else. So thanks for reminding me of such a great author.

War for the Oaks also looks quite interesting.

Any more ideas are always welcome.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 07-05-2010, 07:12 AM   #12
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
In SF and Fantasy, my recommendations are:

Morningstar by David Gemmell. Many of his works can be read as standalone novels as well.

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (free here on MR).

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. Again, many of his other works are standalones as well. A special mention goes to this book, which is one of my favorites of his, yet it seems like not many people know of (I love Mardak's prayers).

The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn
. Alistair MacLean style Mystery and SF all rolled into one.

The Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones. More of a children book, yet very very good. Most of her other works are standalone as well and very good also.

In any other genre I think standalones are the norm not the exception, but I'm not that well read in other genres.

EDIT: Another standalone book that I love, a fantasy/comedy (though different than Terry Pratchett) is Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart.

Last edited by Dave Berk; 07-05-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #13
Pete
Pete is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Hi PKFFW,

for science-fiction... Dune (of course!); Forge of God by Greg Bear, and if you like it, Anvil of Stars is a follow-up...

Cheers,

Michael P
Thats what I was going to recommend, except I was gonna say just skip Forge of God and read Anvil of Stars as stand alone. I didnt think Forge of God was very good, and its plot is simple enough that you can skip it.

----------------------------------------
Eon by Greg bear is pretty good too.

If you want to move to something completely different-

Child of God by Cormac McCarthy is a good into to his work.

I, Claudius by Robert Graves is one of the best historical fiction novels out there. Aztec and Gates of Fire are pretty good, also. They're geared more toward entertainment then Graves book, though I do find Graves books to be entertaining.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #14
PKFFW
Wizard

Hi Dave and Pete,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Old 07-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Mystic River or Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane.

Of course, if you've seen the movies, a lot of the "punch" of these books will be lost.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote