Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-04-2008, 12:01 AM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Why drop the card reader? The only thing I can think of is that they may have been able to bring the price down substantially, but with e ink prices the way they are, I doubt they will be able to reduce the price enough to matter to most consumers.

The "alternative prototype" theory is certainly tempting.....
Dropping the SD card reader would lower the price about a buck (and that includes the controller chip).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:05 AM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Why drop the card reader?
My sneaky, cynical mind whispers to me that it takes away a bit of control over how you get content on the device ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2008, 12:29 AM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Nope nope nope nope. I cannot believe this is a 'real' photo. The earth has tilted on its axis, and the bottom has fallen out of my world.
I agree with you. This is a fake photoshop job if I've ever seen one. First of all, there is still a selector wheel but no LCD strip. How's that supposed to work? If this is really the new Kindle they've made a mistake. Either than or it is a very early mock up. Why would they replace the nice sleek keyboard with those ugly bubble keys? Why would they push the keyboard in and have so much wasted space around the edges.

I think someone just has too much time on their hands. I'll file this with the "early pics" of the Apple HDTV set and the Apple iPod virtual scroll wheel and the Macbook Pro with a touch LCD screen for a touch pad that displays the dock. Ug.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:32 AM   #19
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
my first post (after lurking for many weeks...love all the info here!)

The current kindle may look clunky but the more I use it, the more I appreciate its design and function. I find the page keys very intuitive as I do change my hold/hands depending on whether I am on the couch, sitting at a table, etc. But given all the criticism, I could see Amazon trying to address this (which to me would be a negative). The only thing I would change is moving the switches to the front.

If this is really what is in the works (and I have my doubts), the joystick is too much a geek thing and not for the average reader (same for touch screen over keyboard imo).

I think the killer app for Amazon to woo first time buyers over Sony would be to add a front-light. If Sony had announced it before I bought my Kindle, I would've likely gone the Sony route instead. It was the one feature I was holding out for and only caved after reading that backlighting was impossible with eInk.

(But now that I'm an owner, the wireless functionality, availability of titles, reasonable ebook pricing and wireless downloading far outweigh having a light.)

Last edited by Boston; 10-04-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:45 AM   #20
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon should make Kindle 2 have following:

1. A touch-screen for annotations like iRex Iliad and that works with the finger like the Sony PRS-700.

2. HSDPA option for the rest of the world, with and without carrier subsidy. WiFi as well.

3. Size it just slightly wider then the screen (to have next page and previous page buttons, joystick as well). Home menu, resume buttons.

4. The keyboard should just slide out from under the device, no need for the keyboard to be there all the time. If you are reading a whole book, you might never need the keyboard during that whole time. Why not just hide that keyboard behind the device. And the keyboard is crappy blackberry type thumb keyboard anyways, so no need for it to be very big.

5. USB-host or/and bluetooth and a kick-stand to put it on a table and use an external full sized foldable keyboard to type text at full speed. Such as being actually able to use it as a full power text editor. which would turn it as a perfect device for writers and students, that can thus also collaborate writing documents, articles or blog posts. It should be a whole mix of collaborative annotations, typing, editing and reading.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2008, 02:03 AM   #21
huari
Enthusiast
huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle me, Sony Reader missus
rumored kindle 2:
-heavier
-bigger size but same sized screen
-no AC charger, lost user replacable battery
-lost sd card expansion

this has got to be a fake or the prototype Amazon is junking.

i love my kindle, and hope it lasts a long long time...
huari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:04 AM   #22
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Good lord that thing is fugly! O_O
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:02 AM   #23
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Well, it seems unlikely that Amazon will be selling this device as-is, especially the metal back looks very prototype to me. However, time will tell and since Amazon claims there will be no new Kindle this year we still have some time to speculate and I guess we will see more pictures, both real and fake until then.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:17 AM   #24
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Let us not hold our collective breath.

It took a very, very long time from the first leaked photos and wild rumors (do you remember the rumored 50 dollar pricetag?) to the actual units being sold.

The photos might be deliberately leaked to steal some wind from the Sony sails.

I personally do not care if the unit is ugly. The only important thing, after price, of course, is the quality of the display. Contrast, readability, response time.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:28 AM   #25
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
So much plastic arond the little screen. It's larger, but the screen size remains the same. That's a regression for me.

And it's ugly.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:30 AM   #26
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If that's version 2.0, then I'll pass. It looks like a big step backwards to me, more like a rejected prototype, or a Photoshop prank.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:09 AM   #27
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
On each photo there's a strange shadow on the bottom-left corner
of the screen... photoshop artefact?
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:20 AM   #28
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It's a water,mark for the site that posted the pictures.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #29
Mycropht
Optimist
Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Maybe an insider could post a photo of the Kindle designer's wife? Just to see if there is a general problem with the guy's taste.
When I have seen the early photos of Kindle 1, I was sure it was a discarded prototype. Now I know better.
Mycropht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If this is the real Kindle 2.0, then Sony's PRS-700 has it beat hands down.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote