Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Table of Contents

Has anyone figured out how to auto create a TOC? I do know how to make one manually, but would much prefer to automate the process.

I'm trying to make omnibus collections of all the short stories I have by each author. Since I bought the ebooks from Fictionwise, I can extract high quality HTML files from MSReader LIT.

I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I took an HTML file from Project Gutenberg -- as is -- and imported it into MobiPocket Creator. This file had the normal HTML Header-1 {h1} tag used for each chapter title.

I clicked on the "Table of Contents" menu entry in MPC and then the "Add a Table of Contents" button. Entered "h1" into the first field in the wizard and clicked the "Update" button.

It looked like this:

And then I clicked the "Build" icon. This is what showed up in MobiPocket Reader:

And the TOC entries all work.

So, the secret is to use a specific HTML tag -- or tag attribute -- at each location in the book that you would like a TOC entry for.

Last edited by Elsi; 07-06-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Thank you. Before I had been using the tag "title" (which is in the file header, not body). It was making the list, but not any links. Now I know why.

Thank you.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
SeaWolf
Connoisseur
SeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi
I haven't tried this, but might Creator also take style info from a Word document with proper headings as well and build a TOC that way, in much the same fashion?
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:05 AM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolf View Post
I haven't tried this, but might Creator also take style info from a Word document with proper headings as well and build a TOC that way, in much the same fashion?
I don't do Word. I know that you can save a Word document as HTML, but it's really poor HTML.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2008, 05:55 AM   #6
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I don't do Word. I know that you can save a Word document as HTML, but it's really poor HTML.
It may be poor HTML but I've found that it works fine with Creator.

I use Word to put a bit formatting into poorly formatted html public domain books - simple stuff like chapters beginning on a new page. So if your aim is the final mobi format book probably no need to worry too much about the finer points of the HTML file.

And yes, styling a para as, say, Heading 1 in Word attaches a tag (in this case h1) so you should be able to generate a TOC.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote