Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #256
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Solution/workaround: only toggle usbnetwork when the cable is unplugged.
I just wrote up the entire work flow - including the 'noob mistake' of just plugging in the cable, enabling USBnetwork, and expecting it to work.

I started out the post with the (wrong) steps on purpose - so new readers could see the difference between what they did and what was required.

Thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204450
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #257
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
@knc1 and @Ixtab

Much appreciate the thoughts on delaying the launch, suicide() and the usbnetworking guide.

I'll shove a delay in as Ixtab suggested asap and see if that "helps"

Thanks guys.

(Oh, and I updated the docs to indicate that you install installer bins "one-at-a-time")
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #258
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

0.2.2 "shut down" and "open something else" delay added.
logo evolution
bugfix release

updated azw2's

just swap out the old one for the new one like always.

Enjoy. Let me know if anything explodes.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #259
twobob

Deleted dead twobob/looper branch from GIT.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #260
twobob

Are YOU a conehead yet?

Give it a try : D
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fans.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	100454  
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #261
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
parsing script update

Parsing script update uploaded to #193
Monolithic, improved performance, important bug fixes.
stepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #262
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
ixtab, would you consider making the paginated menu roll over to first page when right arrow is pressed on the last page?
stepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #263
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepk View Post
Parsing script update uploaded to #193
Monolithic, improved performance, important bug fixes.
My test:

KINDLE TOUCH

OLD KUAL.V.0.2.2 performance metrics (working on 24 entries)

Quote:
aloop-20130127a.twobobHack.sh: exit(0)
real 0m 3.42s
user 0m 0.40s
sys 0m 1.35s
Forthcoming KUAL.V.0.2.3 performance metrics (same testing batch)

Quote:
aloop-20130130a.sh: exit(0)
real 0m 1.70s
user 0m 0.23s
sys 0m 0.72s

KINDLE 3

Working on 7 things to parse.

Quote:
aloop-20130127a.twobobHack.sh
real 0m 1.47s
user 0m 0.08s
sys 0m 0.38s
Same things to parse

Quote:
aloop-20130130a.sh
real 0m 0.74s
user 0m 0.14s
sys 0m 0.18s
Excellent performance increase. Even more marked on the slower devices as expected.
Even on a tiny workset the performance is WELL WORTH the upgrade.

Superb work.

Last edited by twobob; 02-01-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #264
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@stepk: great stuff, thanks!

@stepk, twobob: I'm looking into the wrap-around paging, and into the execution/suicide timing stuff, right now. I'll send twobob a PM once I committed something. So the upcoming new version could hopefully include all 3 enhancements at once.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #265
twobob

Quote:
@stepk: great stuff, thanks!

@stepk, twobob: I'm looking into the wrap-around paging, and into the execution/suicide timing stuff, right now. I'll send twobob a PM once I committed something. So the upcoming new version could hopefully include all 3 enhancements at once.
Erk... I commited for 0.2.3..

Tiny changes though.

I will wait on the 0.2.3 release then... (looks at ready-to-roll thingies...)

Meh, Nah. Let's just bump again when we are "ready to go" for 0.2.4 : )

*goes off to update thread*

Excited about your works!!! : D

EDIT:
So the upcoming new version could hopefully include all 3 enhancements at once

How did I not read that before??? sorry would have waited.

Last edited by twobob; 02-01-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #266
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just committed version 0.3.0 to the repository. Since this is a rapidly evolving project with quite a few people involved and contributing (BTW: thank you all!), I'll just post my comments in this thread - it's not like there's anything secret anyway.

So:

- I moved the execution of the script to the time when the Kindlet is terminating. (Hopefully) no more timing issues that we need to work around with sleep calls. This should be as close as we can get to "chaining" executions (thanks knc1 for the heads up!). I tested it on all my 4 devices with pretty much only the helper scripts installed, and it seemed to work correctly - I tested usbnetwork toggle, and 711 screen.

- Still using "background launcher scripts", though - for the simple reason that the commands could contain command chaining with pipes etc. (dummy example: "ls|wc"), and Java won't handle that correctly, so putting it into a .sh file and then running that seems like a good and robust solution.

- It's not horribly important, but I think that the launcher scripts could even delete themselves after running the target commands. Unless I'm totally wrong, something like
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/path/to/real_exec &
rm $0
should work, shouldn't it? (That's pretty much what the current background launchers produce, except for the last line, of course).
But as said, not too important: these files are small, and they're deleted everytime the launcher kindlet is launched anyway.

- @stepk: With all the great input you've provided, I'll be happy to give you commit access to the repository. Let me know if you want it.

- @twobob: Along the same lines, I guess that the logo could/should simply be the egg. No need for our nicknames at the bottom, and the egg will look even nicer without the black background there
Old 02-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #267
wakawakawaka
wakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beauty

Hey folks - quick question - links to prerequisite zips are broken in main text of OP...is the latest found in the attachments list at the bottom?
wakawakawaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #268
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakawakawaka View Post
Hey folks - quick question - links to prerequisite zips are broken in main text of OP...is the latest found in the attachments list at the bottom?
yup. @twobob: one more thing to fix - or to rephrase
Old 02-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #269
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakawakawaka View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...5&d=1359588492

fixed in top post.

will filter out if I find any more busted linked things.

Yes - the prerequisites should be solid now.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #270
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
- Still using "background launcher scripts", though - for the simple reason that the commands could contain command chaining with pipes etc. (dummy example: "ls|wc"), and Java won't handle that correctly, so putting it into a .sh file and then running that seems like a good and robust solution.
I have a suspicion that invocation of sh -c "ls|wc &" will work as well as execution of temporary script with ls|wc &
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified