Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Amazon and that annoying 'Not Yet Available'

OK, call me an impatient twit, but there are a couple of books I've been waiting for from favorite authors. I am literally ready to start reading them as soon as I get my mitts on them.

So I go to Amazon and there is that lovely 'click here to start reading on your Kindle in under a minute', I click it, and the book is NOT YET AVAILABLE.

What the heck. Sony has it, Fictionwise has it (though not in Kindle format, sigh). Why does it take Amazon so long to get these files up? I've noticed that many of the new offerings do not become available until the next day!

The first few weeks this happened, I chalked it up to startup problems....but now it is getting really annoying! Today is my day off and I have time to read, but tomorrow I have to work! ARGH

Come on, Amazon, this is the computer age. You should have these books queued up on your website ready to become available at 12:01 on release day (I don't care what time zone you choose). This feels like you have a single person who wakes up on release day morning and thinks 'Wow, today I have to convert all those EBooks for Kindle'.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If the book is available in multiformat at Fictionwise all you have to do is download either the .azw or .prc file. If it is DRMed see this thread
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
Just4Fun
Enthusiast
Just4Fun began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/iphone/ipad/Pocket Entourage/MacBook/Windows
Something to try (You probably already know):

Post your comment with a specific book title(s) in the Kindle discussion forum on Amazon. I did that when Sue Grisham's new book showed up as costing as much as the hard back edition. Within hours the price came down, but not to 9.99. Others jumped on the discussion and suddenly the book was priced at 9.99. I think that someone from Amazon is monitoring the discussions and "reviews". Maybe it will help bring the problem to light. Also, write the customer support--just in case.
Just4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
jrdew
jrdew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Fun View Post
in the Kindle discussion forum on Amazon
There are discussion forums on Amazon? I had no idea. Any pointers on how to find them? I just tried but came up with nothing, even though it was probably staring me in face.
jrdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Just4Fun
Enthusiast
Just4Fun began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/iphone/ipad/Pocket Entourage/MacBook/Windows
jrdew:

I guess that I shouldn't really call the Amazon discussions "forums" in the strict sense of the word. My guess is that you have already seen them and I confused the issue by using the word "forum" (though Amazon does also use the word "forum"). The whole Amazon setup is a bit different from forums like this one. Amazon titles them "Customer Discussions".

Anyway, the quickest way to get to them is to go to the Kindle store and scroll down to the very bottom of the long page. Just under the last Kindle Product Review, you will see two sections. The first section shows the most recent "Customer Discussions". The second box shows "Active discussions in related forums".

HTHs
Just4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
jrdew
jrdew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Got it, thanks. But boy was that buried down there!
jrdew is offline   Reply With Quote