Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-04-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
marmomr
marmomr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Kindle Touch does not boot

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, found this great community when googling how to unbrick Touch

Yesterday after read for a while my KT stopped responding, the screen only display top menu bar, other areas were white blank. I turned it off by pressing power button for 30 seconds, but after that not able to turn it on anymore, nothing happened after press the power button.

So I decided to unbrick it, what I have done:
1. flash diag with fastboot, use kindleSelectBoot to get into diag mode
2. dd if=mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K
3. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K

Now the Touch can boot into main mode with kindleSelectBoot, everything seems smooth after boot - great. Now the problem is it can not boot without kindleSelectBoot - when I choose restart from menu it freeze at a tree and "please wait a moment while your Kindle starts up", press power button (and press for 30 sec as well) seems has no effect, nor green LED light. To turn it on again I have to connect USB cable and choose main mode in mfgtool.

I tried to restore factory default from menu, as well as "fastboot setvar bootmode main" and "fastboot flash kernel kernel-kt-5.0.0.img" but no lucky.

Is there anything I missed in the unbrick precedure?
marmomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I don't have one myself, but that sounds complete to me from following the discussions here.

One possible point:
Is the battery fully charged?

That is the only thing I see missing in your description.

Last edited by knc1; 05-04-2012 at 08:25 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
marmomr

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I don't have one myself, but that sounds complete to me from following the discussions here.

One possible point:
Is the battery fully charged?

That is the only thing I see missing in your description.
Thanks for the point. Battery is around 50%, I'll leave it charge to full and try again.

The weird thing is as long as it boot from within mfgtool, I can disconnect USB cable and Touch seems work great - except for not able to reboot itself w/o mfgtool.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmomr View Post
3. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K
As I mentioned in mutilple posts, although that command worked for me, multiple people reported problems. Try

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=1K

It is only important to erase the beginning of the partition so that it cannot mount, which will make the system reformat it.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-04-2012 at 10:40 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Last edited by knc1; 05-04-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@GM: Will clear this post once typo is edited.
Thanks. I have so much going on in my life right now I get in too much of a hurry sometimes...
Old 05-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Last edited by knc1; 05-04-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
You need more coffee in your life:
if= of=
Ahh. That's it! My morning coffee is cold in the microwave oven and it is late afternoon here!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
marmomr

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
As I mentioned in mutilple posts, although that command worked for me, multiple people reported problems. Try

dd if=/dev/zero if=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=1K

It is only important to erase the beginning of the partition so that it cannot mount, which will make the system reformat it.
I tried with count=1K option, still the same.

There are some new observations. In fastboot mode, "fastboot reboot" or "fastboot continue" will not boot the Touch, but "fastboot boot main.bin" can bring it on, where main.bin is grabbed from Profile folder of KindleSelectBoot tool.

I dont have much knowledge about boot sequence but looks like something corrupts within the chain, after fastboot and before system in mmcblk0p1 is loaded. If there is some part in Touch do similar job as main.bin, I guess the part is suspicious. Is there a way to re-flash the part?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
geekmaster

You may need to reflash the u-boot image on the mmc, if that got corrupted. You can do it with fastboot. My mind is full of other stuff right now so I do not remember the details. There are details in various posts and other documents. I would need to search for that info, but you can too.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
In the diags ssh, try:
Code:
idme -d --bootmode main; sync; reboot
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
marmomr

I tried to flash u-boot with
"fastboot flash bootloader main.bin", where main.bin is grabbed from kindleselectboot tool, no luck

"idme -d --bootmode main; sync" also didn't help, after issuing the command I further confirmed it has been set to main by "idme ?", but the kindle still can not come up after reboot

Any further suggestion?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmomr View Post
I tried to flash u-boot with
"fastboot flash bootloader main.bin", where main.bin is grabbed from kindleselectboot tool, no luck...
Huh? What "kindleselectboot tool"?

The uboot images in there are custom, and meant for loading to memory over USB with MfgTool.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Fastboot flash bootloader !?! Did you just override your bootloader ??? You may need the original bootloader images and you need to flash them on using fastboot. I would give you mine, but I don't know exactly how.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
geekmaster

Too much messing around with the wrong options in fastboot can disable it so you need to use the serial port recovery method.