Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
lala85
lala85 began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook mini/Eco reader
Question Help - Eco Reader vs Eco Eclipse vs Kogan

Hi

2 weeks ago my bebook mini, which i loved, screen broke. According to Bebook Australia it costs $220 plus postage to fix, so i am thinking it is better value to just buy a new ereader. The bebook range is too expensive still at $379 so i have been looking at the similar models - eco reader and eco eclipse, i have also had a look at Kogan.

The reason i have narrowed it down to these is as follows:
- Multiple files (mainly have PDF, RTF and LIT)
- wireless not necessary
- less than $200
- has SD card slot

I think i would prefer the eco eclipse (which is supposed to be the same as the mini) but it seems to have less file types, does anyone know why?

Does anyone have any advise or suggestions for which reader i should get.

Thanks

Last edited by lala85; 10-08-2010 at 12:35 AM.
lala85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:34 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by lala85 View Post
I think i would prefer the eco eclipse (which is supposed to be the same as the mini) but it seems to have less file types, does anyone know why?
They are identical in hardware, the file types could be the firmware used on the Eco Reader or just a simplified product page. The good thing about those ereaders is you can inter-change the firmware, so if you happen to buy the Eco Eclipse you could flash it with the bebook mini firmware, LBook, Jinke, Astak etc. Don't be scared by the flashing, if you have done a firmware update on your bebook mini it is the identical process, just need to select the appropriate .bin file.

My personal opinion, I would select the Eco Reader/Eclipse. Kogan does look ok but going through their product page recently to view specs of a netbook I wanted to buy some time ago, and it appears all support is effectively been dropped. DA Direct appear a very supportive company, and I doubt they will just drop support on their product.

Now, Eco Reader or Eco Eclipse....well is the extra paid worth the extra screen size? I can't answer that for you. If you were happy with the 5" stick with the eclipse, if you ever felt like you'd have liked a slightly larger screen, go the Eco Reader.

My 2 cents.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
eco eclipse, eco reader, kogan