Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #16
nnf
nnf began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600 :)
Yeah, I tried to reset the device several times... nothing happens.

As for the dead battery, I don't know... I mean, I plugged it in to recharge it (and add some books) as I had used my kobo for maybe an hour last night. After maybe half an hour the light turned red, indicating a full charge. It died perhaps two minutes later.

I think I'll just save myself the hassle and return it.
nnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #17
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucromancer View Post
Have you tried the reset hole on the back? The menu shouldn't be showing while the device is plugged in...
I'm think they have:

Quote:
I tried everything to revive it, but even the reset button won't work!
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #18
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

If you have already deleted the files you have added, you should rename the database to hide it and see if that works. Just rename the .sqlite database by adding .old or something to the end of the filename. After a reset if things work, then it is your database that is corrupt. I saw a thread on here about fixing a corrupt database but it looks kind of messy. I just deleted my .sqlite database completely and have almost none of the issues people have mentioned. I think many of the issues can be traced back to the database but that's just a guess. Of course, deleting the database remove the 100 free books so if those a important to you, you may not want to do that.

You can also use this trick to rename any files you have added to see if they are the issue. If you can't narrow it down to a file or the database then you will certainly have to return it. I would personally exchange it for a new Kobo in that case. I think the issues it has now are temporary and the device does have a lot of potential.

Good luck.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #19
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnf View Post
After maybe half an hour the light turned red, indicating a full charge.
Don't trust the red light, that thing is as good as useless.

But it sounds like your issues isn't to do with the battery anyway, since even with a dead battery as soon as you plug in the Kobo the screen should display a "your eReader is plugged in" message.

I know there are other people who have had screen freeze problems, but I'm not aware of a fix myself.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnf View Post
As for the dead battery, I don't know... I mean, I plugged it in to recharge it (and add some books) as I had used my kobo for maybe an hour last night. After maybe half an hour the light turned red, indicating a full charge. It died perhaps two minutes later.
Often the battery indicators don't work all that well until a few charges into things. I don't have the manual for a Kobo, but most manuals will tell you to charge something like 8-10 hours even if the indicator says it's charged.

Anyway, I'd hope they'd exchange it for you without any hassle, or maybe look at a Sony PRS-300 (if it's got the features you want). At least here in the states they're on sale everywhere for Kobo prices, not sure about Canada.

Always a bummer when stuff doesn't work as one hopes.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #21
nnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
If you have already deleted the files you have added, you should rename the database to hide it and see if that works. Just rename the .sqlite database by adding .old or something to the end of the filename. After a reset if things work, then it is your database that is corrupt. I saw a thread on here about fixing a corrupt database but it looks kind of messy. I just deleted my .sqlite database completely and have almost none of the issues people have mentioned. I think many of the issues can be traced back to the database but that's just a guess. Of course, deleting the database remove the 100 free books so if those a important to you, you may not want to do that.

You can also use this trick to rename any files you have added to see if they are the issue. If you can't narrow it down to a file or the database then you will certainly have to return it. I would personally exchange it for a new Kobo in that case. I think the issues it has now are temporary and the device does have a lot of potential.

Good luck.
Hmmm... that's a pretty good idea but it just doesn't seem to work? Screen is still frozen And I don't want to delete the database... I also think kobo has a lot of potential but I'm not sure I'm willing to put up with all the issues for a few more months. I'm going abroad for a while in september and I don't want to have to deal with a problematic reader Guess I'll return it. But thanks a lot for your post, that was super helpful! If only it had worked, it would have been wonderful!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #22
nnf

@artificial and AnemicOak

Thanks to the both of you for the help I got it from Walmart so I'm sure they'll exchange it. I mean, it's only been a day! Oh and there's nothing in the manual about battery charge... honestly, it's not a very helpful start guide

Bah... I'll return it. Besides, I'm going to the States in a few weeks so I might just buy a sony down there, considering the much cheaper price
Old 06-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #23
marnom
Enthusiast
marnom began at the beginning.

But you know that the PRS-300 is a 5" display... For some, it makes a huge difference...
marnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #24
nnf

Yeah... I know, the 5" screen is the reason I didn't get the Sony in the first place... In fact, I'm considering the 600 now... even though I don't like the touchscreen that much.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #25
DKazzed
Enthusiast
DKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Porcelain
PRS-600 is only $199 in the States vs. $349 here? WTF.

Why wouldn't you simply exchange the Kobo for another one?
DKazzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #26
nnf

Yeah, the price difference is absurd!

& that's what I originally wanted, but reading comments on the internet/on the forum has kind of turned me off the kobo for now. It seems that they have poor customer service and I don't want to risk having a broken reader when I'll be abroad

Kobo sounds like a great product that fits my need, but it also feels to me like they released it too early. There's a bunch of flaws and a lot of defective units. Either the product is cheap, or the quality control is lacking... I'm inclined to think it's the latter, but yeah.... If I had a few more months ahead of me, I'd wait and get another kobo. But the clock is ticking... and I'd like to have a working device to take with me on the road
Old 06-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #27
Elevatorguy
Elevatorguy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo fails to deliver

The ideal was great, but they have not been able to deliver a simple ereader to display reliably a epub without font problems or give decent documentation on there product and they have problems with the product such as battery indicator and screen freeze and then to indicate there were not be a firmware update for some time is troublesome.
But I do thank them because i believe they have shown there is a large market for a 6 inch eink simple display for $150 and after they have arrive in the USA sony or the makers of nook will come out with a reliable 6 inch eink simple display for $150 and yes I live in the show me state of Missouri USA and have been following the KOBO before it became available in Canada .
Elevatorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #28
m0_joe
m0_joe began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hey don't give up on the Kobo yet. I bought one a few days after they came out in Canada. I had my for a day. I woke up the next day, turned it on and there was a blank line running up the middle and the pages were ghosting (like 3 or 4 pages ontop of each other). I returned it to Chapters (our version of Borders) and got myself a black one, which incidentally what I wanted. I have had it for a month now with no problems whatsoever.

Get yourself another one. My wife and my father inlaw have one each(I bought all three on the same day and the only one that didn't work right was mine)
m0_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #29
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
I agree with m0_joe...I'd exchange the device and give another one a try, if you're still interested in having a Kobo.

I pre-ordered mine back at the end of March but ended up cancelling the order when I found out the black one was coming out. I got my black one on May 10 and have had issues, mostly with the battery, and am now to the point where Kobo is exchanging it for me. I'm very hopeful that I get better battery life out of the second one, and if I don't, I'll probably just exchange it for another one through them. A headache yes, but I'm a fan of the device so I'll deal with it.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:45 AM   #30
nnf

Hey! Turns out my local store was out of them..... I saw that as a sign

I had a friend buy a PRS-600 in the US for me. They had a major promotion at Wal-Mart (100$ off!!!!) so I figured that despite the little issues, I might feel better owning a Sony since I'm going abroad for quite a while and I don't want to have to deal with issues over there... I think the Sony is a bit more reliable (from what I've read on here), since they've been making readers for a while now. I guess it all worked out for the best

Besides I'm thinking I'll give kobo a little while and perhaps I'll sell my Sony later when they come up with a more reliable device After all, Kobo was my first choice in the beginning..... Let's hope they've already improved their product for the US launch, so that they can grow and deliver a better device in the next couple of months/years