Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #16
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'm with the majority on the choice between the two, but I find the kissing picture TOO bright (aside from the sun glare) and over saturated.
Might I suggest you try desaturating and softening the top pic a bit, perhaps washing it out to more closely match the stark landscape of the photo below?
I think it needs to look more like a book cover, and less like a photograph, with half a book cover below it, which is how it looks to me now.
Thanks ApK. I'm going to try that desaturating on the top. One way or another I've got to even those photos out a bit more.

And which photo did you like, the gas station or the lake. (Lost track of the majority.)
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #17
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcG View Post
I don't like two (very) different types of photos on a cover. I have combined them to one with the landscape still visible in the background. You could use the complete kiss photo including the elbows, so you get more picture on the cover. But the sun glare is still a problem.
BTW: Aren't photos with watermarks copyrighted?

George
Thanks George. Your version definitely simplifies the cover, but I'm thinking I want to tell a little bit more about the story than just the kiss. And the watermark photos are just comps. That's why they're a little fuzzy because they're blown up. (I bought the kiss photo already and I'll buy the other one when I figure out which one I'm going to use.)
Old 10-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #18
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks ApK. I'm going to try that desaturating on the top. One way or another I've got to even those photos out a bit more.

And which photo did you like, the gas station or the lake. (Lost track of the majority.)
Looking back, I may have been mistaken that there WAS a majortity opinion, but I like the gas station because it was less distracting, and more desolate looking.

Last edited by ApK; 10-13-2014 at 08:23 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Seriously, the sun glare has to go. It just gets in the way and becomes the main focus.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:31 AM   #20
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Looking back, I may have been mistaken that there WAS a majortity opinion, but I like the gas station because it was less distracting, and more desolate looking.
Thanks ApK. The colors of the gas station work better too, and it looks like Texas, which is where the story takes place, but the story takes place in a rowdy border town, and I'm wondering if the gas station is too desolate.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:33 AM   #21
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Seriously, the sun glare has to go. It just gets in the way and becomes the main focus.
JS. I agree. I'm working on it, adjusting the color levels and brightness.