Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #136
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathknight View Post
Geekmaster, if you're stilll there, I'd like just a little more help. I mentioned I had two bricked Kindle's. I can't get the second one unbricked because it isn't running the RUNME.sh file. If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
If you can access it as a USB drive, add ENABLE_DIAGS, and the data.tar.gz file from the "SelectBoot" thread, and your RUNME.sh, and delete any RUNME.done, then reboot.

If you boot to diags, you can export the USB drive from a menu item and access it as a USB drive from a host PC.

If it runs, there will be a new RUNME.done file. There is a sample RUNME.done in the "SelectBoot" thread that displays stuff on the eInk display so you know immediately if it ran.

You can also run it with no ENABLE_DIAGS file, in which case it boots to main before running, instead of diags.

Or instead of using a RUNME.sh script, you can use fastboot to flash a diags partition that enables SSH, then mount the main partition and repair it from an SSH shell from the diags menu.

When restoring partitions to a /dev/mmc* device, you should always boot from the OTHER partition. Do no write to the raw device that you booted from.

At this time, this is probably the easier and simplest method:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-08-2012 at 01:46 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #137
Deathknight
Deathknight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
One more thing Geekmaster. When I'm in diags mode, I tried the Exit, Reboot or Disable Diags option. When I was in that, I used the Check Pass/Fail Status. It says "DIAGS FAILED" at the top, and "SEND THIS UNIT TO REWORK" in the body. Any ideas?
Deathknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #138
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One more thing Geekmaster. When I'm in diags mode, I tried the Exit, Reboot or Disable Diags option. When I was in that, I used the Check Pass/Fail Status. It says "DIAGS FAILED" at the top, and "SEND THIS UNIT TO REWORK" in the body. Any ideas?
DIAGS FAILED can mean many things. It can even mean that the battery is charged more than 70% and needs to be partially discharged before shipping. You can safely ignore it.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #139
Deathknight

Oh, this time, I can't get the other bricked Kindle in main mode to load. It just keeps rebooting itself, without me even touching it.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #140
geekmaster

Quote:
Oh, this time, I can't get the other bricked Kindle in main mode to load. It just keeps rebooting itself, without me even touching it.
That could be a damaged startup script. You should be able to get it into diags mode with MfgTool and fix it from there, especially if you write a diags partition with SSH installed on it (see the debricking threads).
Old 03-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #141
Deathknight

Now I can't get RUNME.sh to run after a magic reboot. I check the Kindle for files, and the only things that show up are RUNME.sh and data.tar.gz. No RUNME.done or anything. Besides that, it's still just rebooting itself.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #142
geekmaster

From MfgTool, set it to fastboot mode. In fastboot, do:

sudo ./fastboot setvar bootmode diags

Then it will always boot to diags even without using MfgTool.

In diags, try copying your mmcblk0p1.img file to /dev/mmcblk0p1 again. Do not mount mmcblk0p1 first.

If that fails, perhaps your mmcblk0p1.img file is bad. Download it again and try again.

I know that file was good -- I used it myself.

If you can get into diags and see the contents of your USB drive, the kindle hardware appears to be working.

One possibility is that the main kernel is damaged, and that can be flashed with fastboot. You need to get a clean image of that file.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #143
Deathknight

Any idea how to do that on Windows? I have cygwin installed, but when I try sudo, it says no such command, or something similar. When I try su, it says user root does not exist. So, any idea how to do it on Windows since sudo is a linux command?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #144
geekmaster

I think in cygwin you are root.

But did you get fastboot working in cygwin? Try:

./fastboot getvar bootmode

and it should report the current value saved in mmc.

./fastboot setvar bootmode diags

will change the value to diags.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #145
geekmaster

Arrow fastboot for native win32 (cygwin not needed)

You can download it here, and run it at a DOS prompt:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2000997

Each kindle needs its own set of libusb-win32 device drivers installed, to work with fastboot for windows. There are multiple ways to do this, and multiple versions of libusb drivers for windows.

You can read some details about how *I* installed them for my K4 and Touch here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2001621

You still need to know which libusb-win32 version, and what installers to use, and more (that you can learn from the libusb websites). More information will be provided later (perhaps in a wiki page). Hopefully there is enough information at the above links for you to figure out how to use it now if you need it.

This eliminates the problem of needed Windows for MfgTool and linux for fastboot, and the problem of the kindle dropping out of fastboot mode when the USB connections is disconnected or reset (by rebooting the host PC or VM). But it has the added complication of needed Windows device drivers.

At least there are alternative methods of using MfgTool and fastboot now, so you can use whichever method works best for you.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #146
supprman
supprman began at the beginning.

Device: kt
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
When your kindle is in USB Recovery mode the first time, Windows will detect new hardware, and it should automatically install USB/HID device drivers. [COLOR="DarkRed"]The Windows device drivers and other unused files were removed from the previously posted downloads, to reduce the download size from about 70 MB to 0.5 MB. If your version of Windows does not install USB/HID device drivers automatically, you can request them here.
would you plz tell me where to download the USB/HID device drivers?
supprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #147
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by supprman View Post
would you plz tell me where to download the USB/HID device drivers?
The USB/HID device drivers *should* be installed automatically by Windows. Here is the official Microsoft page that says how to install USB/HID device drivers for Windows: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...dware/gg462965

When downloading the MfgTool package from Freescale, it also includes USB/HID drivers for windows in its folders, but when I tried installing those drivers (for testing purposes), windows reported that they did not match my hardware...

Linux should not need any extra device drivers installed for USB/HID, and I do not think that a Mac needs extra drivers installed either.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-19-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #148
TCCPhreak
TCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4GNT
Hello,

sorry for necroposting this thread but I believe that this thread is more suitable for the problem than the generic unbricking one.

I think my Kindle (4NT) is broken very thoroughly. When it was still a little better, I could access diags mode before it froze and even then I could boot fastboot with the mfgtool and try some stuff there, too.

This method seems to have gone, too. MfgTool still can "see" the kindle after magic-booting, yet none of the three options work in any way. Fastboot cannot find the device and it also disappears from windows device manager after starting the profile.

So it seems like I'm in the "even if everything else fails, we can still flash with mfgtool"-mode. I tried to learn how to work in it but unfortunately, I don't know how to work in it.

I downloaded this "Document.zip" with instructions on how to use the mfgtool, even help for writing simple UCL.XMLs but I just fail at writing them so they do anything. I don't know which CMDs the Kindle will accept and testing some of the stuff from the docs resulted in error messages or even mfgtool crashing.
I was hoping I'd be done with a simple
cmd type=load file=mmc0.bin address=0x0
but things seem far more complicated. "Push"ing write-commands to the Kindle also gave no success and I'm doubting that trying every other example from the docs will yield any additional results.

Has anyone ever flashed a larger file with mfgtool instead of booting to fastboot and flashing from there? Could he share the right cmd?
From what I gather, the "boot"-command downloads to RAM and starts from there - and the supplied images don't do more than pointing to a point in flash. Would something like this be possible with a complete fastboot-image (extracted from mmcblk)?
I've read that I could compile custom uboots from the amazon-source? Are those bootloaders that should be called via "boot" or do they have to be flashed to MMC, too?

Regards,

TCC
TCCPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #149
geekmaster

It would be easier to flash with fastboot than writing a custom MfgTool profile.

Now there is a windows version of fastboot, but you need to install the libusb-win32 device drivers to use it. You can start fastboot mode in windows with MfgTool, then use the windows fastboot, with no risk of dropping out of fastboot mode when the USB port resets or drops when switching operating systems from windows to linux.

The "simple debricking" thread now has a downloadable linux kernel for the main partition, in the event that yours got damaged in the mmc. You can flash the main and diags linux kernels and the diags partition from fastboot, but you need to boot diags and use dd to flash the main partition.

If you *really* want to learn to use MfgTool to do new stuff, you should connect to the kindle serial port so you can see the status messages that result from commands sent to it by MfgTool.

I suggest that you first go back to the fastboot flashing method and try that, using the windows fastboot. There are posts that show how to install and configure windows libusb-win32 drivers. If you need any kernel or partition images not posted in the "simple debricking" first post, you can request them here or in that thread.

And do not worry about thread necromancy -- please use this thread for relevant content such as yours, and keep us posted about your progress (and MfgTool investigation).

Good luck, and good learning!
Old 03-31-2012, 06:32 AM   #150
TCCPhreak
TCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4GNT
Quote:
It would be easier to flash with fastboot than writing a custom MfgTool profile.
If I was able to choose, I'd choose fastboot for sure. I've worked with it before - I have the win version; I installed the driver and I made the Kindle boot into fastboot-mode via MfgBoot before.

Problem is: I can't choose; fastboot doesn't work anymore. After choose the fastboot via MfgTool, the kindle doesn't switch into fastboot mode, but sets itself to mass storage (If I'm lucky)(for some time).

I'd love to re-flash a working fastboot, then flash the diags kernel and diags image, boot into diags and then dd the main partition from there, but getting fastboot to work is the first step so I'm kind of stuck with MfgBoot for that.. (or serial, though I haven't got a converter for RS232@1.7V yet)

Quote:
If you *really* want to learn to use MfgTool to do new stuff,
It's not a case of "really wanting to" but "seeing no other option"

Quote:
you should connect to the kindle serial port so you can see the status messages that result from commands sent to it by MfgTool.
As soon as I'm brave enough to open the Kindle and solder to the serial port (very very carefully), I'll watch anything it sends.

Quote:
If you need any kernel or partition images not posted in the "simple debricking" first post, you can request them here or in that thread.
I have access to a working Kindle, so I can also copy from there. I could also supply the first 32M of mmcblk0 (containing kernels and - probably - a working fastboot) or other files - although I'm not sure where personal information is stored - I'd like to backen that out, first.

To be honest: I've read through the "simple debricking", the "fastboot manifesto", the "fastboot for win32" and "select boot" (this one)-threads several times. I know you're the expert in Kindles, here (and as soon as I get the Karma system figured out, there'll be as much of it going your way as I can send). I kind of hoped that you'd have used a custom mfgboot-profile before (apart form the "switch bootmode"-ones) and could point me in the right direction for trying out writing my own.

As soon as I know a correct "flash"-command, I guess, I can get back on track with fastboot, diags, ssh etc. I kinda like how one can get Kindles working again by working upwards from fastboot. But without fastboot, I'm way down at the "can never be destroyed" USB-HID mode and need to work upward to fastboot. I'm just lost in the mass of cmd-commands for fastboot and none of them seem to work with the kindle.

I'll be more than happy to keep you posted. Building profiles to rescue-flash fastboot or the kernels (not sure whether mfgboot has a similar problem regarding "large" partitions) could keep people from messing with the more dangerous fastboot-commands ("hmm.. eraseall sounds nice"). But without any idea on the magic words for "flash file to kindle" in the xml-file, I'm stuck.

Regards,

TCC
TCCPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking, kindle mx50 select boot