Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #31
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Yeah, what Harry said.

Except that I don't list a device either, out of pure choice. One of them is a Kindle, but I hated the extreme anti-Kindle and pro-Kindle views that were eating many of the forums and eclipsing anything I had to say. So I removed my devices and stopped visiting MR for a while. And I don't ever intend to list devices again.
Yeah, I'm just about to change my device list to "none", too, because it's becoming a club in discussions. You have an opinion on B&N but you don't own the new STR? YOU ARE A TROLL. Nevermind that you have the N1 and NC, begone troll.

I think it's a little, ah, silly to assume that just because a contributor doesn't have a device listed then therefore they don't have an eReader and are just here for the sexy Mobile Read money. Some people just don't feel the need to bling out their profile with every little detail about their personal life.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #32
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
So I guess that nobody with abusive partner problems should be allowed on MR or commenting about organisations they work for or giving advice advice about the device their company makes or... there are lots of reasons why people prefer not to use their real identity at all on the internet, that was always one of its strengths for anyone who might be a bit insecure personally, worried about identity theft and or other reasons.

If anyone uses anonymity to hide behind for illegal/offensive behaviour then they can be kicked off and, if necessary, tracked by law enforcement to their real identity if the activity is criminal... it certainly doesn't require that everybody use their real ID, fine if you're happy doing it, many aren't and the presence of a few anonymous jerks is the price we pay for others freedom to express themselves...
Also, +1 to this. The insistence on a Real Name is extremely problematic. (And I'd imagine that a quick poll of MR moderators would find that few of them have Real Names listed in their siggies. If we can trust "anonymous" moderators, then why not commenters?)

I've known people in Real Life whose Real Name participation online backfired in a bad way through no fault of their own. I would not presume to insist that everyone use their Real Life name online for these very reasons.
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #33
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I've known people in Real Life whose Real Name participation online backfired in a bad way through no fault of their own. I would not presume to insist that everyone use their Real Life name online for these very reasons.
Even in real life, I don't give out my name to everyone who happens to visit, say, the same McDonald's that I do. Nor do I want them to hear everything I've ever said while in that McDonald's, forever and ever. The history of everything I've typed here in the past 2.5 years is available with an easy search.

I actually restrain myself a bit more on these forums than I do in real life... at home I can jump around and scream "Oooo, you idiot!" at someone. Here I don't do that because I know it'll bring the banhammer down. (And, you know, it's not polite...)

Quote:
You have an opinion on B&N but you don't own the new STR? YOU ARE A TROLL.
Yep.

Quote:
I think it's a little, ah, silly to assume that just because a contributor doesn't have a device listed then therefore they don't have an eReader and are just here for the sexy Mobile Read money.
Karma to you for the "sexy Mobile Read money" part
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #34
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Quote:
Also, +1 to this. The insistence on a Real Name is extremely problematic. (And I'd imagine that a quick poll of MR moderators would find that few of them have Real Names listed in their siggies. If we can trust "anonymous" moderators, then why not commenters?)

I agree with that!

I have had my students search online for me via my real name before, and whilst there is nothing *bad* to hide, I don't really want them knowing the ins and outs of my life. Therefore I do not use my real name for anything not professionally related or absolutely required online (i.e. facebook, online stores).
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #35
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I guess I view this differently. I do not find it problematic at all that people come to MR and post about their book yet do not list or own an ereader. I'm interested to discover what ebooks are available for me to read -- after all, isn't that what I have the ereader for? For me to get ebooks and to read them?

And I don't see any problem with their not participating beyond blurbing about their book. It is easy enough to skip the self-promo thread. I've noted that some very long-time MR members have only posted a few times yet there seems to be no complaints about them.

I find it more troublesome that people do not use their real names in message signatures. I've always believed that if you think you need to say it then you should say it with pride and put your name to it. Anonymous postings are more bothersome to me than an author who self-promotes his/her book but does nothing else here at MR or who doesn't own an ereader device.
Ditto! You've expressed my own sentiments exactly.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #36
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Yeah, I'm just about to change my device list to "none", too, because it's becoming a club in discussions. You have an opinion on B&N but you don't own the new STR? YOU ARE A TROLL. Nevermind that you have the N1 and NC, begone troll.

I think it's a little, ah, silly to assume that just because a contributor doesn't have a device listed then therefore they don't have an eReader and are just here for the sexy Mobile Read money. Some people just don't feel the need to bling out their profile with every little detail about their personal life.
Having an opinion on brand X does not make you a troll.

I have opinions (boy do I have em'), that is why I bought Y instead of X.
I still read about the new models (and wade through the sales hype),
I keep looking for a candidate to replace my existing reader when it dies

Does that make me a Troll, to discuss the pros and cons of a model that I don't own?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #37
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Does that make me a Troll, to discuss the pros and cons of a model that I don't own?
It doesn't at all. But it's perceived that way by a growing minority. *shrug* It's just easier for me to not list devices.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #38
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Of course!

Everyone knows that in order to have an opinion on an eReader, you have to own every model of that brand (K1, K2, K3 or N1, NC, N2, etc.) and you have to have used it every day with every possible format it supports.

And if your opinion of that device isn't 100% positive, then WHY AREN'T YOU IN THE OTHER FORUMS COMPLAINING ABOUT THEIR DEVICES, TOO?

[edit by moderation].

(That was all total sarcasm, I swear. )

Last edited by dreams; 08-06-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #39
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Of course!

Everyone knows that in order to have an opinion on an eReader, you have to own every model of that brand (K1, K2, K3 or N1, NC, N2, etc.) and you have to have used it every day with every possible format it supports.

And if your opinion of that device isn't 100% positive, then WHY AREN'T YOU IN THE OTHER FORUMS COMPLAINING ABOUT THEIR DEVICES, TOO?

[edit by moderation]

(That was all total sarcasm, I swear. )
I thought to have an opinion you had to trace your ereading device geneology back to late 90s PDAs.

Last edited by dreams; 08-06-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #40
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Why? What does listing a device demonstrate?

Are we not making a mountain out of a molehill? Should we insist that people list the books they are reading to prove that they read and that they are reading ebooks rather than pbooks? Maybe quiz them about the book to verify it?

But first, can we not insist that everyone sign their messages with their full legal name? Why permit posters to hide behind a cloak of anonymity. Let's roust out those whom we would like to censor.
???

It was just a mild suggestion, nothing that should have provoked such an extreme reaction.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #41
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
I guess I view this differently. I do not find it problematic at all that people come to MR and post about their book yet do not list or own an ereader. I'm interested to discover what ebooks are available for me to read -- after all, isn't that what I have the ereader for? For me to get ebooks and to read them?

And I don't see any problem with their not participating beyond blurbing about their book. It is easy enough to skip the self-promo thread. I've noted that some very long-time MR members have only posted a few times yet there seems to be no complaints about them.
Agree, 100%. I don't care if they're just spamming as long as it's in the right forum; I'm interested in new ebooks regardless of whether the authors want to talk about other ebook issues.

Quote:
I find it more troublesome that people do not use their real names in message signatures. I've always believed that if you think you need to say it then you should say it with pride and put your name to it. Anonymous postings are more bothersome to me than an author who self-promotes his/her book but does nothing else here at MR or who doesn't own an ereader device.
As "elfwreck," I have over a dozen years of activity online. Under my legal name, I have almost none. Pseudonyms are not the same as cowardice. (Was "Mark Twain" hiding his identity?)

The claim "everyone should be willing to hand their legal names out to everyone they talk to online" implies that we're all safe if we do so--that we have no stalker ex-boyfriends, no employers who'd be willing to fire us for lifestyles or just politics that don't agree with the boss, no local communities that would physically attack us for what we say online.

I'm active in Pagan and LGBT communities. I'm fortunate to live in an area where those don't get me attacked--but part of why I live in this area is so that I can be safe; I can't seriously consider moving to a place where my rent'd be cut in half. I use a pseudonym as a buffer between my online activities and my personal life; I don't need online busybodies grabbing my copyfight activism posts and making angry calls to my boss demanding that I be fired.

Using a name other than one's legal-for-taxes identity is not a matter of cowardice; it can be basic safety. (Would you encourage children to use their legal names online? Or fake names? Or obvious pseudonyms while everyone else is using legal-sounding names, so they're easy to spot?)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #42
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I thought to have an opinion you had to trace your ereading device geneology back to late 90s PDAs.
I used to take them to work and print them out on their laser printer.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #43
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I don't list all my devices - just the ones I currently read on.

I can see the argument that some people are too focused on writing to have a dedicated device, but at the same time, I'd like to think that anyone who really wants to get into eBooks wants to read them as well as write them.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #44
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I get the group distaste for drive-by "check out my book" authors. I feel similarly.

But I imagine a larger issue is how e-readers are still a premium luxury item. It still costs >$100 for a dedicated E-ink device that THEN costs about the same as paper books to read typical current e-books. Maybe I'm wrong. Any netbook costs more than that but PC's/laptops have multiple uses and have greater utility to more people.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #45
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
Maybe it's just a publishing industry thing, to read ebooks on phones instead of readers.
Maybe that's why there are so many poorly formatted ebooks out there?
I do some reading on my phone and I can't really see much formatting when I do.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote