Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Apple applies for patent for layered eink/lcd hybrid

The display would be able to switch between all eink, all lcd or even just regional updates for either so that static content could use the eink display and only a portion- video presumably- would be using the lcd

the picture above baffles me. the lcd layer and eink layer should be swapped in my mind. with a transparent lcd on top of the eink. I dont see how they envision it working with the eink above the lcd.

from http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...t_regions.html via http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/04/07...de-ink-iphone/
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

in fact if you used eink on the bottom, an led "side lit" layer then above that the transparent lcd you could led "back light" the lcd while providing light for the eink. ala the old sony. but with newer higher contrast displays and very clear lcd layers it should be better than the sony.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
so, basically, the possibility of extending the battery life of an lcd device by incorporating some eink?

I wonder what parameters decide when to use lcd or eink? I think it is a cool idea, just not sure of the feasibility of it...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Anyone know how this differs from what the screen on a Notion Ink Adam does?
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post

the picture above baffles me. the lcd layer and eink layer should be swapped in my mind. with a transparent lcd on top of the eink. I dont see how they envision it working with the eink above the lcd.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Weird.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yep, looks like apple is playing the patent game.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
but whyyy, mommy? their Ibookstore here stinks
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Methinks it smells of rotten apples...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
So iPad 3 will probably come with this? O. M. G. Cant. Just. Wait.!
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
I agree with you, it seems backward.
I would find it funny if somebody submitted another patent based in this one but with the *correct* (based on what we know) solution.

Quote:
in fact if you used eink on the bottom, an led "side lit" layer then above that the transparent lcd you could led "back light" the lcd while providing light for the eink. ala the old sony. but with newer higher contrast displays and very clear lcd layers it should be better than the sony.
I think the problem with the PRS 700 was due to the thickness of the layers on top of the eink. I'm not sure this would work well.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Methinks it smells of the illogical "I hate a company" game again... can't we have a serious discussion without these irrelevant "some company or other stinks comments" unless it is actually to the point... come on, Apple takes out another patent, big deal... take a look at how many Microsoft takes out (or attempts to) or how often they all get clobbered for infringing someone else's patent/copyright/trademark...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
but whyyy, mommy? their Ibookstore here stinks
Quote:
Methinks it smells of rotten apples...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard

sure but with a better contrast and brighter eink layer with a thinner led layer it might be doable
Old 04-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
As the owner of a Sony Reader with a touch screen, all those layers just say "blurry" to me, although the idea is a good one - like the old cartoon animations - everything would stay the same except the main characters, or the background would repeat.

Not sure how specific the term "e-ink" is, but maybe Apple plans to use some sort of transparent e-ink layer that we haven't seen yet? Not sure how that would work.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #14
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Do you guys really think the info shown in the design of the layers is good enough to get a patent approved? Meaning the middle layer specifies only e-paper which is pretty darned ambiguous since every type of e-paper layer will require a different technology work around to get it to function. That would mean a significantly different solution for each type and perhaps each brand of e-paper layer each of which could be patented.

Or do I misunderstand how patents really work these days? Not that I have more than a cursory understanding of how specific a patent needs to be.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #15
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
I thought that the OP material came from Apple Insider (rumour mill) not the Patent Office which may explain the generalities shown, likely to be a lot more detailed in actual patent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
Do you guys really think the info shown in the design of the layers is good enough to get a patent approved? Meaning the middle layer specifies only e-paper which is pretty darned ambiguous since every type of e-paper layer will require a different technology work around to get it to function. That would mean a significantly different solution for each type and perhaps each brand of e-paper layer each of which could be patented.

Or do I misunderstand how patents really work these days? Not that I have more than a cursory understanding of how specific a patent needs to be.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote