Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

View Poll Results: Should Kobo Discounts thread title include 'pertinent discussion'?
Yes 45 68.18%
No 13 19.70%
The blue one, next to the fish 8 12.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #31
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileJanie View Post
If the title is changed to encompass the chat, people who (quite rightly) think the current title doesn't leave room for anything except the codes won't have grounds for complaint.
Exactly why I voted 'Yes' as well
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:32 AM   #32
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I totally voted yes. There's good info in the thread and it's my favorite thread. I learned a lot about how things work and don't mind answering questions when someone new can't figure out where to put the coupon code (for example). Kobo is currently running a contest to win an H2O and normally I'd have put it in the thread, but with the complaints, I just didn't bother. But as a reader and someone who wants to win one...well, I certainly want to know related deals and contests!!!
O_O
I had to do some googling, thanks for pointing it out
I agree, I try not to talk in there right now because the complaints are quite loud.

I voted yes because I like the discussion and now that the first post is updated on a regular basis () - I don't see why discussion in between contests should be an issue anymore.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 04:47 AM   #33
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I'm fine either way because the discussions are interesting, but also when I haven't logged in in a long time it takes time to browse through all the posts to find what I'm looking for. That's why I chose the third vote
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #34
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I went with a yes on Codes plus discussion.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #35
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post
O_O

I agree, I try not to talk in there right now because the complaints are quite loud.
I have been wanting to ask what everyone means by 'agency' books, I have never understood that. But, even though it does seem to be tied into what codes do or dont work, I just havent asked as I dont want to upset the minority
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #36
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter One View Post
I have been wanting to ask what everyone means by 'agency' books, I have never understood that. But, even though it does seem to be tied into what codes do or dont work, I just havent asked as I dont want to upset the minority
Generally speaking it means the big 6 publishers because they entered into an "agency" agreement and had their hands slapped for collusion (at least in the US) along with Apple. So BEFORE they colluded to set prices of books all the same across all retailers with the price THEY wanted (no discounting allowed) is referred to as "pre-agency" pricing. Then there was agency pricing and now there is "The government says you can't collude" so we are "post agency." But even post agency you don't see the discounting you used to see.

The agency agreement was actually with retailers and said, 'You can't sell our books unless you price them the way we say to price them.' The problem is that they all met and decided to do this, along with Apple, thus the collusion issues.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #37
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
This is important information which is very germane to Kobo contest codes and should be referred to occasionally for the benefit of newcomers to the thread. Please ask whatever you want on the Kobo discount code thread - it's almost "officially" been renamed to include discussions in any event

Last edited by JoHunt; 09-09-2014 at 03:08 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:29 PM   #38
BuyMore
Lurker extraordinaire
BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
This is important information which is very germane to Kobo contest codes and should be referred to occasionally for the benefit of newcomers to the thread. Please ask whatever you want on the Kobo discount code thread - it's almost "officially" been renamed to include discussions in any event

And, just so you know, Jo, I love all the pics you post there, especially those in between contests. They aptly depict our anxieties and such.

Please keep 'em coming!
BuyMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:44 AM   #39
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I voted "No" not because I don't think we should have the discussion about the nuances of using the kobo store, but because I think we should have it in a different thread not related to coupon codes.
But how can you have it as a separate thread when the topic is related to if a given book is able to be used in conjunction with a coupon?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:06 AM   #40
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
for the explanations about Agency books
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:18 AM   #41
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
I think that for you in NZ and me in Aus we just think of books we can get discounts on and books we can't. I know I've never bothered knowing anything about 'publishers' until I joined MR.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:50 AM   #42
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Just so you're aware that the discussion of Agency books is off-topic for this thread...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:57 AM   #43
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Chapter One made a valid point about not feeling that he/she could ask about 'Agency' in the Discounts thread. But he/she didn't ask for the explanation here, although it was provided by another member.

I can understand his/her frustration because Agency books have again become topical in the Discounts thread due to the last Contest codes usage restricted to the US UK CA.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 09-10-2014 at 06:18 AM. Reason: changed second sentence to 'didn't as' as opposed to 'did ask'.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #44
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
But how can you have it as a separate thread when the topic is related to if a given book is able to be used in conjunction with a coupon?
It could be called the "Kobo Store Discussion Thread" that provides help for any topic to do with the store, including using coupons. The discount code thread would provide those codes. The codes are timely, some valid one week and invalid the next. The discussion about how to apply the codes is relevant always.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #45
MobileJanie
Zealot
MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Just so you're aware that the discussion of Agency books is off-topic for this thread...
I thought that, very tongue in cheek, but didn't say it.

We certainly all seem to have become very aware of what we post where.

Darn, this is the wrong thread for that comment. Just ignore me. Delete me. Whatever....
MobileJanie is offline   Reply With Quote