Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
DigitalDuke
Edge User

User agent

Hi everyone, i dont know if any of you have had any experience with the new ipad, i managed about 5 mins on it, what i found most interesting was that google has customised a different UI for gmail to make use of its tablet size. Ive been trying to get this on my edge for the last 3 hours by at first looking for an option to change the user agent then finding another browser that would let me with no such luck. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDuke View Post
Hi everyone, i dont know if any of you have had any experience with the new ipad, i managed about 5 mins on it, what i found most interesting was that google has customised a different UI for gmail to make use of its tablet size. Ive been trying to get this on my edge for the last 3 hours by at first looking for an option to change the user agent then finding another browser that would let me with no such luck. Anyone have any ideas?
Is your edge Browser set as Desktop or Mobile?
In the Browser, hit the Menu button, then go to More, then Settings, then scroll down to the Advanced settings and look at the setting for Browser Mode. That makes a difference on many web sites.

Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
ChrisF
Edge User

It is possible that gmail has a style/theme to load when it detects the ipad's browser. If that is the case gmail may not be able to distinguish the eDGe's large screen from an android smartphone's smaller screen and loads the small screen theme.

You might try what ken is suggesting and load desktop mode and see if there is a view option link at the bottom of the gmail webpage.

I suggest however that you setup the email client on the eDGe to pop/imap your gmail account. I have rarely ever logged into gmail since I setup that mail client.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
walt526
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
I suggest however that you setup the email client on the eDGe to pop/imap your gmail account. I have rarely ever logged into gmail since I setup that mail client.
I second this suggestion: setting up the EE's email client is well worth the ~5 minutes to configure things (for me, it was mostly hunting down the POP server names). However, there have been a few lengthy emails that I've wanted to read on the eInk side, which unfortunately can only be done at this time by opening up the email in the default web browser. I've asked them to add a "View on eInk Reader" option to the mail client, but if it's something that you'd like to use, please weigh in on this thread: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...-Email-On-eInk I suspect that Entourage is more likely to notice a feature request that has more than just one or two people asking for it.