Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #91
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, that works. You don't see any books if you go straight to an author rather than via "My Books".
Reset your filters. Most of the books listed as not available are ones that are going back into the Free Library when the second edition is released.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #92
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Reset your filters. Most of the books listed as not available are ones that are going back into the Free Library when the second edition is released.

bernie
Looks like the books have reappeared now. When I tried it a couple of days ago, selecting, say, James P. Hogan, from the left menu simply showed an empty list. Perhaps the site was in a state of transition to the new system at the time.

I'm annoyed that I've missed the Jan 2013 bundle. I'll have to keep a closer eye on release dates from now on. Just bought the Feb/Mar bundles to make sure I don't miss them, plus the two books I wanted from the Jan bundle (the Andre Norton and Steve White).

Last edited by HarryT; 12-20-2012 at 12:32 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #93
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Looks like the books have reappeared now. When I tried it a couple of days ago, selecting, say, James P. Hogan, from the left menu simply showed an empty list. Perhaps the site was in a state of transition to the new system at the time.

I'm annoyed that I've missed the Jan 2013 bundle. I'll have to keep a closer eye on release dates from now on. Just bought the Feb/Mar bundles to make sure I don't miss them, plus the two books I wanted from the Jan bundle (the Andre Norton and Steve White).
I just started reading the Steve White one today.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #94
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Is it just me, or is December 2012 turning out to be a really bad month for eBook readers? First Fictionwise and now all the changes at Baen. (And yes, I've downloaded everything I ever bought there again today.)
In the US many contracts are ended/implemented in Dec for tax purposes-so it makes sense that Dec is always an 'active' month. This year it turns out to be downwardly active. It's a shame about the prices rising but I'm more concerned about them adding DRM. I've bought a lot of Baen books in either pback or as ebooks-and most of the ebooks I've bought from their site simply because they don't seem to like DRM any more than I do. OTOH I've also found their site confusing. Particularly since I could find different books depending on how I accessed them. I suspect their approach (sort of a "give the customer a break") attracted few marketing professionals-and their site organization showed it.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #95
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
It's a shame about the prices rising but I'm more concerned about them adding DRM. I've bought a lot of Baen books in either pback or as ebooks-and most of the ebooks I've bought from their site simply because they don't seem to like DRM any more than I do.
They aren't adding DRM to anything.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #96
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In the US many contracts are ended/implemented in Dec for tax purposes-so it makes sense that Dec is always an 'active' month. This year it turns out to be downwardly active. It's a shame about the prices rising but I'm more concerned about them adding DRM. I've bought a lot of Baen books in either pback or as ebooks-and most of the ebooks I've bought from their site simply because they don't seem to like DRM any more than I do. OTOH I've also found their site confusing. Particularly since I could find different books depending on how I accessed them. I suspect their approach (sort of a "give the customer a break") attracted few marketing professionals-and their site organization showed it.
What are you talking about? Baen aren't adding DRM - what made you think they were?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #97
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Misunderstanding. I'm concerned that Amazon will add it.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #98
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Misunderstanding. I'm concerned that Amazon will add it.
Amazon only adds DRM if the publisher requests it.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:13 AM   #99
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Amazon only adds DRM if the publisher requests it.
Is that really the case? I thought they always added it unless the publisher requested them not to add it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #100
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Is that really the case? I thought they always added it unless the publisher requested them not to add it.
The publisher has to specify whether or not the book has DRM. There is no "default" (at least not for the Kindle Digital Publishing programme - I don't know if there are different arrangements in place for larger publishers.)
Old 12-21-2012, 05:27 AM   #101
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It looks like Baen's books are up at Amazon.co.uk.

£4.45 for those at $6.99 at baenebooks.com
£6.43 for those at $9.99 at baenebooks.com

Counting the 3% VAT, that's an exchange rate of about $1.6:£1
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #102
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Counting the 3% VAT, that's an exchange rate of about $1.6:£1
Which is fair. The official bank rate's currently about £1 = $1.63.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #103
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
The publisher has to specify whether or not the book has DRM. There is no "default" (at least not for the Kindle Digital Publishing programme - I don't know if there are different arrangements in place for larger publishers.)
IIRC when Tor went no-DRM, Amazon had a problem changing over, and the 1st book supposed to be released without DRM (Scalzi's _Redshirts_) actually had it on. Tor immediately sent everyone with a receipt a DRM-free book by email, if we complained, and Amazon did eventually replace the file with a DRM-free one.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #104
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
IIRC when Tor went no-DRM, Amazon had a problem changing over, and the 1st book supposed to be released without DRM (Scalzi's _Redshirts_) actually had it on. Tor immediately sent everyone with a receipt a DRM-free book by email, if we complained, and Amazon did eventually replace the file with a DRM-free one.
That's a different case. The publisher decides whether or not to put DRM on the book when the book is uploaded If a publisher decides to put DRM on a book initially, I believe the only way to change that (remove the DRM) is to re-publish the book.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #105
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
That's a different case. The publisher decides whether or not to put DRM on the book when the book is uploaded If a publisher decides to put DRM on a book initially, I believe the only way to change that (remove the DRM) is to re-publish the book.
That's true for small publishers using KDP. It's not the same system for big publishers who don't use KDP.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote