Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Amazon Prime and eBooks

I'm aware that Prime members can borrow and read Kindle books for free with no due dates. I'm just curious whether Prime customers get a special price for ebooks, or do they pay the same price as non-Prime members?

Last edited by Gazella; 12-06-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
They pay the same price. And something unrelated that should still be noted is that if you acquired the Amazon Prime status through the Amazon Student offer you are not eligible for the free one-book-per-month-lending feature that Amazon offers in my experience.
cryzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're limited to only one book per month??
Old 12-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Never mind that, I somehow had that impression but it seems to be false, sorry.
cryzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Yes, which makes the deal instantly less interesting! And I think 1 month, then, is your due date.
Also, not all books are offered for lending. I have 5 or 6 pages of ebooks on my Amazon wishlist and not one of them is in their lending program.

Last edited by xendula; 12-06-2012 at 08:11 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Actually there is no due date. You just can't check out another book until the previous one is returned.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
I'm aware that Prime members can borrow and read Kindle books for free with no due dates. I'm just curious whether Prime customers get a special price for ebooks, or do they pay the same price as non-Prime members?
Have you checked that the Kindle Lending Library is available to people in the UAE? Until recently it was only available to people in the US, although it's now available in some European countries, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
You can borrow one ebook per month and keep it out as long as you want. However, you cannot borrow a second ebook until the first is returned.

My experience is there are millions of fiction ebooks available for borrowing which my wife uses. However, I have not seen serious, footnoted, history or biography ebooks available for loan. Those are the only ebooks I read.

I believe all NY Times 100 best sellers are available for loan.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I believe all NY Times 100 best sellers are available for loan.
No...
I'd be surprised if there's more than 10 of those on the KOLL...
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you checked that the Kindle Lending Library is available to people in the UAE? Until recently it was only available to people in the US, although it's now available in some European countries, too.
No, I'm not really interested just curious.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, PC
Amazon Prime

Yes, you can download only one Prime book/month.

However, if you go to Amazon, Shop by Department, Books, Kindle Books, you can choose the type of book for which you're looking from the menu on the left. After selecting this, sort by price, low to high, and there are multitudes of books you can download for free with an Amazon account. I sometimes get up to 30 books/day doing this. Some are AZ3 file times, but some are MOBI. You can send them directly to your device, download them to your computer to transfer to your device, or get them in the archives on Kindle for PC.

I find that reading some of the not too familiar authors is refreshing, and you find some gems out there that are certainly worth the free download.
country0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
That is true. Many ebooks with a price for non-Prime members can be purchased FREE for Prime members.

Again, those ebooks are almost all fiction.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
That is true. Many ebooks with a price for non-Prime members can be purchased FREE for Prime members.
I've never seen a single book that's free to BUY (as opposed to check out from the KLL) for Prime members only can you point one out?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

Again, those ebooks are almost all fiction.
You may perhaps be misled by the way that Amazon show things on the screen. When it says "$0 for Prime Members" (or whatever it is that it says), that indicates that the book can be borrowed from the Prime Lending Library, not that you can actually keep it forever free of charge.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Keep in mind you must initiate borrowing from a Kindle, not a computer browser, or it will turn into a purchase instead. Yet you must return it with a computer browser (manage your kindle page), not the Kindle. A bit inconvenient sometimes. Also you cannot use Kindle apps to read them, only a Kindle device.

For some reason right now I'm able to borrow a second KOLL book even though I have one checked out. Interesting. Looks like it might be because the one I borrowed was removed from KOLL list after I borrowed it. So maybe I sort of own it now. Good thing, it is taking me forever to read it!

I created a 'KOLL' wish list to keep track of books I might want to borrow in the future. Browsing the KOLL list directly is not very efficient (too much 'junk' to sift through) so I just add them to my KOLL wish list as I come across things that interest me.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote