Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
How to view the free ebooks that come with the reader

There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to force those books to be seen by the reader. I can see the files in .kobo\kepub\ directory, they have long numbers and no extensions for the filenames. I added 2 free books from Kobo and those were placed in the same directory by Kobo and those are in my library, I can see those 2. But still not the originals that came with the reader, I was hoping adding the books would trigger the others to be picked up.

I even did a factory reset thinking when I transferred books over with Calibre that it wasn't able to "see" those books in the other directory so they were ignored, or something else I might have messed up in the hurry to start reading on it when I first got it. But it's the same thing, there doesn't seem to be a way to view those free books.

So what's the trick to actually load those free books?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Which free books are you looking for? The Original and I think the Wifi versions had free classics loaded, but I don't think they have done that from the Touch on.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One I know is Don Quixote, maybe Great Expectations (I can't remember if I tried transferring that one, but think it came with), there's a few books in other languages also, maybe German and French. I copied them off the reader to my hard drive so I could add .epub and open them to see what they were.

They're definitely on the reader, I can see them in the .kobo\kepub directory, and they're there again after I did a factory reset.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to force those books to be seen by the reader. I can see the files in .kobo\kepub\ directory, they have long numbers and no extensions for the filenames. I added 2 free books from Kobo and those were placed in the same directory by Kobo and those are in my library, I can see those 2. But still not the originals that came with the reader, I was hoping adding the books would trigger the others to be picked up.

I even did a factory reset thinking when I transferred books over with Calibre that it wasn't able to "see" those books in the other directory so they were ignored, or something else I might have messed up in the hurry to start reading on it when I first got it. But it's the same thing, there doesn't seem to be a way to view those free books.

So what's the trick to actually load those free books?
Are you looking at the 5 books, one each in English, German, French, Dutch and Spanish?

See this post for more information.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ch#post2430806

You can copy them to your computer, rename to add .kepub.epub extension and then open with your preferred epub app to get the title/author, rename and sideload to your ereader.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Silly me... I assumed if Kobo put them on the reader, they'd be there to read when you first initialized it . That's pretty much what I did the first time, I just figured I must have screwed something up in the setup.

Thanks for the info.
Advert
Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

One odd thing that I noticed... after I did the factory reset, the reader still had my book shelves that I previously had while books were loaded. They seemed to be stored in the KoboReader.sqlite file.

Shouldn't the factory reset have cleared even the shelves from before and created a new KoboReader.sqlite file?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The shelves are synced to the Kobo server. And then restored by the sync after the factory reset.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

That explains it, thanks. I didn't think the server would store that info since all the books were sideloaded.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
That explains it, thanks. I didn't think the server would store that info since all the books were sideloaded.
For sideloaded books, the shelves are recreated without contents.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote