Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Kobo Seriously Malfunctioning after Upgrade: My Options?

Greetings,

Me being the impetuous early adopter that I am, I decided to upgrade my recently arrived Kobo reader, despite the early AM hours and the fact that I was on vacation. The process itself went smoothly (although I had some difficulty with the three-finger salute) but after it completed, I discovered that all my books were deleted, the device showed approximately 110 out of 160 MB free, and it no longer was recognized as a USB mass-storage device. It also locks up on shutdown which means, with the recent change in power management, I have to reset the device whenever I want to read my books if I don't fiddle with the thing every half-hour or keep it plugged into its charger. The device can read books that I've placed on my SD card and it can receive books on its diminished internal storage via Bluetooth (I just have to plug it in and then unplug it to get it to refresh its database). This means that, in addition to the storage space I am missing, I cannot synch the device with Kobo Desktop (which I was looking forward to) nor with Adobe Digital Editions, which eliminates library books and DRMed content. What are my options to remedy this? The device will still go into update mode if I do the three-finger salute; is there any way I can get an update binary to put on my SD card so that I can restore the device?

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I have just updated mine... I followed the instructions... I'm female and always feel the need to follow them.

The '3-finger salute' I put my index finger on menu, thumb on the blue pad, and pressed the power button by pushing it against my desk.

The device needs to be re-authorised for Digital Editions.. and your books will be back.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I followed the instructions, both in the software and on this forum. The device does not show up when plugged into a computer, making it difficult to for it to be authorized by ADE . i checked on my linux computer and it is not even showing up when I run a cat command. Not only is it not mounting, as far as the computer is concerned, it doesn't exist. I could deal with this until a solution is available, but I am extremely frustrated that I have to reset the thing to turn it on. It can't be good to constantly be poking a paper clip into the back of the device.

Luqman
Old 07-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Kobo did not yet release a Linux firmware did they?

Why not send a private note direct to sameerh on this forum. He's a Kobo rep and specifically was looking for Linux users at one point. You may need to sit tight until you can get access to the proper firmware. Kobo (under Windows anyway) relies on a driver at the host computer to make sure all works as intended. In the /program files/kobo directory on my c: drive I see options for windows2000, windows 32 and 64 bit editions, amd chipsets, etc.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

I did the upgrade on my daughter's Windows XP netbook, so I don't think that's the issue. I opened a ticket with Kobo, so I'll see what develops.
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hey Luqmaninbmore, check your PM.

We've posted an update to the desktop application which lets you force the upgrade wizard to reflash the device if you are able to get it into upgrade mode. I sent you some instructions. Let me know how it goes.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
MrBig
MrBig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MrBig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MrBig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Hi Sameer, I am still having the same problem though I cannot get back into upgrade mode. Is there a way of sending the file from the SD repair card? I can put it on my own SD card.
Thanks
MrBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
majormajor
majormajor began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
My ereader is also completely messed up after I installed the new firmware. I have no ebooks (preloaded or bought) and my computer can't recognize the device when I connect it. Customer service says they are looking into it. Some times I can't even turn it on or off. Is there anything I can do short of returning it and getting a new model?
majormajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
Nabber
Nabber began at the beginning.

I am having the exact same issues! I hope there is a fix SOON! I am beginning to feel very frustrated with this device!
Nabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
ygxiao
ygxiao began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo,Ipad(3G) & Kindle 3
Mine still bricked after upgrading

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hey Luqmaninbmore, check your PM.

We've posted an update to the desktop application which lets you force the upgrade wizard to reflash the device if you are able to get it into upgrade mode. I sent you some instructions. Let me know how it goes.
Followed the instructions and still can not de-brick my Kobo and it does not respond to the on/off button at all and there 7 bars in the right side down corner with something on the screen in the middle.

Any solutions ? Please advise, thanks.
ygxiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #11
Nabber
Nabber began at the beginning.

I was in contact with Kobo customer support and followed directions they gave but that didn't work so they figure mine is defective and are going to replace it.
Nabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #12
kitsullivan
kitsullivan began at the beginning.

Please help! When I turned in last night, everything was good.....when I opened my kobo on the train this morning, all my library books and purchased books were "content locked". So I logged on to adobe and re-saved the books there. i actually re-downloaded all the library books since I'd first downloaded them from another computer. No good. Content locked. Oh please help!!! I've actually READ all 100 classics! (I'm a big reader.) I can see re-reader the Iliad but not today, please, I only have two days left on SOUTH OF BROAD and the content is locked! HELP! HELP! HELP!
kitsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #13
kitsullivan
kitsullivan began at the beginning.

Adobe came through for me - my content is now available. Thanks to anyone who read this post and considered it! I appreciate it very much.
kitsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #14
azzy
azzy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ygxiao View Post
Followed the instructions and still can not de-brick my Kobo and it does not respond to the on/off button at all and there 7 bars in the right side down corner with something on the screen in the middle.

Any solutions ? Please advise, thanks.
I just completed the update, my screen got stuck on the final screen after the reset, I waited an hour then reseted again. Now I have your problem, any solution yet?
azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #15
ygxiao
ygxiao began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo,Ipad(3G) & Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzy View Post
I just completed the update, my screen got stuck on the final screen after the reset, I waited an hour then reseted again. Now I have your problem, any solution yet?
I gave up and went to a local Chapters store and had it replaced with a brand new one(black). I can feel the difference between the new and the original. The original was more stable and a little bit faster, I have no idea why.
ygxiao is offline   Reply With Quote