Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
AT&T needs to put more into their network then their defensive advertising

In NJ where I am, the reception is fine on my 900. Full signal at my office, half to low at home. I was in Pennsylvania this weekend however, and I couldn't get a signal ANYWHERE whereas my Verizon was full wherever I went.

Maybe they should drop the defensive advertising blitz, and shoot to improve their network
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
Maybe they should drop the defensive advertising blitz, and shoot to improve their network
I agree. The ads are weak anyway. I'm often tempted to jump ship.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Really? I live in PA and I rarely don't have a signal (can't think of the last time I didn't - except for in my office which is a dead zone for everyone except for our sprint/nextel phones).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Really? I live in PA and I rarely don't have a signal (can't think of the last time I didn't - except for in my office which is a dead zone for everyone except for our sprint/nextel phones).
I'm guessing phone reception is good, but that 3G reception which the 900 depends on is the problem
Old 01-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I'm guessing phone reception is good, but that 3G reception which the 900 depends on is the problem
I have 3G (iPhone user).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Does it not fall back to slower-speed technologies, if no 3G signal is available?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
DougFNJ
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does it not fall back to slower-speed technologies, if no 3G signal is available?
It dosen't appear to do so. I was also in the sticks near a suburban community. I would be concerned if I didn't get reception at home and office.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Welcome to the iPhone-with-AT&T 3G world. Around Los Angeles I get random data rates, ranging from okay to non-existent! At least I don't get the 25+% dropped calls reported in NYC.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
From the manual: the 900 supports HSPA, UMTS, EDGE and GPRS data services with two bands(850 and 1,900 MHz)
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
One look at the Network Coverage board in AT&T Customer Forums (unfortunately, registration is required) will confirm that AT&T service (and especially 3G) leaves a lot to be desired. I have switched my phone into 2G-mode only a month ago because of how poor the 3G experience has become.

That being said, my PRS-900 does indeed fall back onto 2G (EDGE/GPRS) when the 3G signal is not available. We have quite a few holes in 3G coverage here in Bay Area so it was easy to confirm that the manual is correct in that regard.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote