Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-23-2015, 03:15 AM   #1
Siavahda
Connoisseur
Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2018
Cannot embed cover to ebook file

I built the .epub file myself from epubs downloaded from AO3 and merged together with the epubmerge plugin. Chose a cover, hit 'embed metadata', converted to .mobi, and sent to device.

But once it's on my Kindle, the cover can't be viewed.

I've tried marking it as a personal document and not; converting to .azw3 instead of .mobi; and ticking the 'enable sharing of book content via Facebook' option on the mobi output page. (I'm not sure how that was supposed to help, but I found it as a suggestion when I Googled). I've also tried resizing the image file and changing it from .png to .jpeg. It's only this file, sending other ebooks to my Kindle via Calibre results in zero problems viewing the book covers.

Can anybody help?

Last edited by Siavahda; 06-23-2015 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Added new things I've tried to make this work!
Siavahda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:58 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
What do you mean the cover can't be viewed on the Kindle? Your profile says you have a K3, so I assume you don't mean the library Cover view, and instead you are referring to the actual first page of the AZW3.

I can't think why that might fail, can you attach the AZW3? (Fanfiction should be safe to upload without violating copyright.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
Siavahda
Connoisseur
Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2018
I do actually mean the library cover view - the picture is viewed fine on the first page of the file.

I experimented some more and found that the problem was with the cover image - for whatever reason, if I set some other image as the cover, it viewed perfectly. I don't know what it was about that one picture (size of the pic file and file format made zero difference), but I eventually gave up and found another cover.
Siavahda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siavahda View Post
I do actually mean the library cover view - the picture is viewed fine on the first page of the file.

I experimented some more and found that the problem was with the cover image - for whatever reason, if I set some other image as the cover, it viewed perfectly. I don't know what it was about that one picture (size of the pic file and file format made zero difference), but I eventually gave up and found another cover.
Kindles do not OPEN on the cover. That is the way they are designed.
You need to do tricks to get around that design. (look in the Kindle Format forum here at MR for ideas and tips)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siavahda View Post

Hmm, as I recall the library cover view was first introduced as an update to the KT, and only the KT and later have that option.

Anyway, calibre sideloads the cover thumbnails itself so the Kindle can see it in cover view (you can check for the thumbnail in "[userstore]/system/thumbnails/") but once that happens it is all up to the Kindle itself. You can ask in our Kindle forums if anyone knows why the Kindle might choke on a particular thumbnail, but at that point it would no longer be a calibre problem.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
conversion, ebook covers, epubmerge plugin