Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #16
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What's in it if not words or images?
There was a series with Titles such as _The Wit and Wisdom of President {Nixon}_

All the pages were blank.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:42 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A book is as long as it needs to be.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2015, 09:00 PM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I grew up with pbooks. And I have paperbacks in the 50-125 page range.
So yes, a book is as long as it has to be.

This is one of my all-time favorites.
http://www.amazon.com/Day-The-Giants.../dp/B000PXUV7O

128 pages with large margins and print.
http://www.amazon.com/Day-Giants-Les...mm_kin_title_0

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-17-2015 at 09:05 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:07 AM   #19
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
My bookie is about 5' 10"
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:08 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Nothing.
Are you talking about some kind of blank notebook, for writing in? That's a book, certainly, but I'm not sure it's what we're discussing here.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-18-2015 at 06:17 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 08:30 AM   #21
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've read several perfectly respectable books with fewer than 200 pages this year:

John le Carre's first novel, Call for the Dead (159p)
Why Didn't They Ask Evans? by Agatha Christie (192p)
The Death of Grass by John Christopher (195p)

I read all three of those on paper. I suspect the latter two could have been longer in a smaller format.

And many collections are fairly short:

The Green Hills of Earth by Robert A Heinlein (180p)
The Custodians by Richard Cowper (144p)
Saint Rebor by Adam Roberts (175p)
Stranger Things Happen by Kelly Link (189p)
His Last Bow by Arthur Conan Doyle (156p)

If I had to put a number on it, I'd probably be thinking about 120 pages, which would also allow a couple of pairs of novellas I've read.

I guess a book is whatever a publisher thinks it can get away with charging money for.

For my own accounting purposes, I just count anything I have picked up separately as a separate item, and I also split omnibuses because I don't tend to read them in one go*. This means that some of my listed "books" are standalone short stories of under 20 pages, but my average is 287 pages, so I think it balances out.

*The tricky part, then, is books that are part omnibus and part collection, like the Baen Murray Leinster volume Planets of Adventure. This contains two novels and a random handful of shorter works. I've decided to split it into three, with one entry for each novel and one "collection" for the rest.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #22
RobertDDL
Whatever...
RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertDDL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 840, Touch HD 2
http://portal.unesco.org/en/ev.php-U...CTION=201.html

A book is a non-periodical printed publication of at least 49 pages, exclusive of the cover pages, published in the country and made available to the public.

P.S.:
"published in the country" refers to national book production statistics -- books may also be published in towns

Last edited by RobertDDL; 06-18-2015 at 08:55 AM.
RobertDDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:15 AM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
What's in it if not words or images?
Ever hear of a 'Blank Book'?, Notebook?

They are sold blank, and the purchaser uses them for Diaries, Journals, Lab Notes.
Wen I went to work as a tech at BNR, I was issued a bound, serialized, BNR Lab Notebook to write down project notes, ideas and project test results. These are legal documents that may be needed in Patent proceedings.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Ever hear of a 'Blank Book'?, Notebook?

They are sold blank, and the purchaser uses them for Diaries, Journals, Lab Notes.
Wen I went to work as a tech at BNR, I was issued a bound, serialized, BNR Lab Notebook to write down project notes, ideas and project test results. These are legal documents that may be needed in Patent proceedings.
See my post #20 above.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #25
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Are you talking about some kind of blank notebook, for writing in? That's a book, certainly, but I'm not sure it's what we're discussing here.
Nope.

Professionally published, at least 20 years ago. Nice dust cover. Not a notebooks, although I guess it could be used as one (as could any blank piece of paper).

I can't find it at the moment, it's probably behind some triple-shelved books.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:13 PM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
See my post #20 above.
What I get for replying before getting to the thread end
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:52 AM   #27
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
In the p-book world, it depends on what the publisher thinks will sell. Consider Maigret novels, usually around 40,000 words. They were originally marketed in France in a sort of magazine format. When Penguin picked up the series in UK, they normally put two of them together, because a 40,000 word paperback book was too slim to sell at a profit; productions costs were almost as high for a 40,000 word book as a 80,000 word book. Solution: Penguin would put two Maigrets in each book to make an 80-90,000 word volume, roughly what the public expected from a book.

Perry Mason books, oddly enough, are usually not much longer than Maigrets. Around 50,000 words, just enough to survive alone, if you increase margins and leading a tad to reduce the number of words per page, and maybe use a slightly thicker paper stock to bulk it up.

In the e-world, this is less visible; you can't pick up an e-book, riffle the pages, test its heft, and decide there's enough book for the buck. And if they're going for 99c, well, I'll pay 99c for a good short story by itself, say, Fred Pohl's "The Tunnel Under the World" which as a stand-alone book wouldn't cut it in the p-book world.

(Publishers usually work in wordage rather than pages, because wordage is independent of production and layout.)

Having said that, in recent years Penguin put out a whole run of very small-wordage p-books, as independent books, which seemed to sell okay. It's all about markets and marketing.

Some best-selling "non-fiction" (well, more or less) p-books have a lot fewer than 50,00 words though: "1066 And All That" (21,000 words), and "Parkinson's Law: or the Pursuit of Progress" (27,000 words), both humour, are notably short on words but big on value.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think it all depends on the audience it's meant for. If your audience is small (like those who suffer from a disease like diabetes) or are young (like early readers) then a book can be fairly short. On the other hand someone going to college or wanting a longer fiction read will expect a longer book.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #29
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
There was a series with Titles such as _The Wit and Wisdom of President {Nixon}_

All the pages were blank.
A political statement!
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:48 PM   #30
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
These are books:
The Shepherd by Frederick Forsyth at 66 pages.

Lyra's Oxford by Philip Pullman at 49 pages.

Xeelee: An Omnibus: Raft, Time-like Infinity, Flux, Ring by Stephen Baxter, a book containing 5 novels.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote