Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
thoreau
Enthusiast
thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOA
Rooting and Modding for COMPLETE NOOBS

I can't seem to get any help in other threads, so hopefully I can get some here and use this as a reference for total idiots who don't own an android phone, and want to just change a few fonts, edit a few .xml files, and install a few .adk apps.

The instructions are fairly straightforward to install the root on both Mac and PC so...

Questions I need answered:

1. How do I browse the file system on the device after rooting? Is it possible to do this from a computer? (mac preferably)

2. Are XML files edited on the device or on a computer after rooting? What application do you use?

3. Besides dropping font files into the font directory, what do I need to change so that my new fonts show up on the selection menu?

Please answer as if you were telling your mother how to do this. Don't start throwing acronyms or applications around unless you can link to documentation. Please do not link me to the "fonts thread" or the "new homescreen thread." I've read them. They are long, dense and largely useless to the common end user.

I mean for this to be helpful at some point to others, so any and all help will be taken graciously.

Thank you.
thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
thoreau
Enthusiast
thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

So here's what I have to offer from the last 24 hours:

As far as fonts go, the best way I have found is to install the Morkl ReaderMod found here. The installation process is well documented.

When you have that running, use the folder titled "reader" found with the download and copy this directly to your reader when plugged into your computer. When plugged into the Mac, this partition is the READER one. Now you have a folder titled "reader" inside of READER. Inside "reader" you have an xml file titled reader.xml where you need to make your edits. This is a new file that doesn't exist anywhere else, so you're not changing anything already installed on the reader.

XML editing can be done in a simple text editor such as TextEdit on the Mac or notepad on the PC. Just make sure that when you save it saves as .xml not .xml.txt

Here's what the .xml should look something like:

Spoiler:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<reader pagesPerRefresh="3">
	<fontSizeTable>
		<int>57</int>
		<int>66</int>
		<int>76</int>
		<int>82</int>
		<int>88</int>
		<int>94</int>
		<int>100</int>
		<int>110</int>
	</fontSizeTable>
	<fontSizeTableEpub>
		<int>57</int>
		<int>66</int>
		<int>76</int>
		<int>82</int>
		<int>88</int>
		<int>94</int>
		<int>100</int>
		<int>110</int>
	</fontSizeTableEpub>
	<fonts>
		<font name="Amasis" regular="AmasisMTW1G.otf" italic="AmasisMTW1G-Italic.otf" bold="AmasisMTW1G-Bold.otf" bolditalic="AmasisMTW1G-BoldItalic.otf" />
		<font name="CharisSIL" path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/" regular="CharisSIL.ttf" italic="CharisSIL-I.ttf" bold="CharisSIL-B.ttf" bolditalic="CharisSIL-BI.ttf" />
		<font name="GenBas" path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/" regular="GenBas.ttf" italic="GenBas-I.ttf" bold="GenBas-B.ttf" bolditalic="GenBas-BI.ttf" />
		<font name="LexiaDaMa" path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/" regular="LexiaDaMa.otf" italic="LexiaDaMa-I.otf" bold="LexiaDaMa-B.otf" bolditalic="LexiaDaMa-BI.otf" />
		<font name="NimbusMod" path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/" regular="NimbusMod.otf" italic="NimbusMod-I.otf" bold="NimbusMod-B.otf" bolditalic="NimbusMod-BI.otf" />
		<font name="Vollkorn" path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/" regular="Vollkorn.ttf" italic="Vollkorn-I.ttf" bold="Vollkorn-B.ttf" bolditalic="Vollkorn-BI.ttf" />
	</fonts>
</reader>

I've had issues if there aren't 6 fonts listed here, so if you only want to add one, leave 5 of the stock ones and just add your new one at the bottom. Notice the difference between the code for the stock "Amasis" font and the one's I'm adding: for the new ones the path is ../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/. Yes you need the periods. Ignore the fact that you're dumping these onto a partition called READER. This got me hung up for a LONG time.

Dump your fonts inside of /READER/reader/fonts/. Good examples for the T1 can be found here. These are made for epubs, and that's what I read 100%, so that's all I currently know. Someone may be able to comment on whether these will work for other file formats. I simply don't know.

After that, you can also change the default font sizes as seen in the code above. It's the part that says "fontsizetable." There are a few that say "fontsizetableepub" for example and those change the defaults for the particular ebook formats. As I've said I only read epubs so I'm leaving out the code for all the other ones which is OK because the reader will default to the sony code for those. I'm not vision challenged so I don't need the crazy poster sizes that come default, which is why I've left the smallest "57" and only go up to about twice the default size.

Let me know if there are questions about these instructions. God speed.

Last edited by thoreau; 02-04-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Advert
Old 02-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
thoreau
Enthusiast

Next on the agenda: getting the customized home screen written by Morkl to work...
Old 02-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
dare
dare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitydare has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Boyue Likebook Mars
You found out about editing the XML files, and I can't tell you too much about fonts as I did not touch them. But on your first question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreau View Post
1. How do I browse the file system on the device after rooting? Is it possible to do this from a computer? (mac preferably)
You have various options (and this includes the option to get into serious trouble by overwriting something you should not have, so be warned):
  1. After rooting, the file system can be accessed from within the reader using the supplied Root Explorer. You may need to press "Mount R/W" on partitions that are mounted read only by default.
    For those not that much into Linux and everything down the line from it: As opposed to Windows e.g. all physical drives and partitions thereon are part of one single file system, layed out in a tree style and appropriately starting at root (/). Partitions become part of this system by being "mounted" at some place in this tree structure, namely a directory or folder. Therefore, simply changing into a subfolder may physically take you to another partition. This as a very simplified explanation why at some parts you may need to remount for writing.
  2. As a variant to 1., you can just plug the reader into your computer, put some files on the drives presented to you, and move them where they belong with the Root Explorer.
  3. You can also access the files you want to play around with from the terminal within the reader, but taking into account the title of this thread, you probably do not want to.
  4. Then you can use a program supplied with the Android Developer Kit named adb. There are instructions on the wiki and in the forums on how to get adb working. If it works, you can use the adb push and pull commands to move files around.
  5. Finally, and just for completeness, you can boot into recovery and access the reader with another method from your computer, a serial console. You can access files with this method that you will not be able to reliably modify while the reader runs normally, but this is also one of the most reliable ways to brick (or, taking the thickness of the PRS-T1 into account, rather "slate") your device.

So as a conclusion: if you want to have it simple as a beginner, use method 1, combined with method 2 if you want to have less pain in editing by using the keyboard on your computer.

A P.S. to all this is that there are some files which you cannot edit with all these methods directly, the font directory being a prominent example. This is due to the fact that this sits on a partition (remember?) using a special kind of file system that is not to be ment to be edited on a file-by-file basis.

Hope by trying to keep it simple I didn't get too abstract.
dare is offline   Reply With Quote