Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
How do you plan to wait out the coming ebook shakedown?

I am getting a little sick of the whole geo-restriction/price fixing/customer hating going on in the publishing industry these days. I am tired of reading about it, tired of whinging about it, and just tired of the whole thing. I figure it will take about 5 years for everything to straighten itself out, for the 'industry' (whomever that might involve) to realize there is more money to be made in selling ebooks to paying customers as a fair price than in gouging them and trying to lock people out who want to actually purchase.

So, I have decided that I am going to vote with my wallet and just wait it out. Here is my plan:

If a new book comes out from Big Pub and I want to read it, it goes on my wishlist at Kobo. It will come OFF my wish list for whichever of the following scenarios occurs first:

- Public library gets the ebook and I obtain it there
- Book hits best-seller list and price drops below $10 as a result
- Book comes out in paperback and price drops below $10 as a result
- Coupon code crosses my path which makes book obtainable at $10 or less

I will not purchase a commercial book except under the above circumstances.

I figure I have more than enough books to keep me busy in the event that not enough books are available under the above system. In addition to my ongoing Smashwords reviews, there are still a bunch of old Fictionwise purchases I have not gotten to yet, about a year's worth of Ellery Queen and Alfred Hitchcock back issues I have not gotten to yet, all my Zinio mags (most of which run about $12 for an entire year of issues), Amazon freebies, Smashwords freebies, Kobo freebies, Baen freebies, freebies from the public library, freebies my sister finds and shares with me, freebies my dad finds and shares with me, a huge quantity of golden age mystery at Project Gutenberg, paper books my mother buys and shares with me, and so on. I am sure I won't be lacking in material!

So, no more searching inkmesh to save pennies on $12 ebooks which are available in paper for half that. No more 'US only' Sony store frustrations. They sell to me here in Canada, for $10 or less, or I am simply not buying it---it can stay on my wish list indefinitely, until this whole sorry mess straightens itself out!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Should be less than five years for some large book chains to be toast, though. Then there will be some entertaining desperation.

Given speed so far, in about 5 years we might actually get some books at Kobo....
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Interesting. I'm pretty much doing that too, although without making a formal policy about it.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
This is a good plan. I have been doing something similar, but it is nice to have it codified.
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Definitely making the right move. What kind of business geniuses turn their backs on customers with their wallets out and open, panting to buy?

The kind who don't last! I don't think it will be any five years, either.

--Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I don't know how much a mass market paperback costs in Canada, but my target price is the average price of a mass market paperback or less. This appears to be currently $8 in the US.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sounds like a good plan to me... especially when you've already got so much to read, and can still check out reasonably-priced books and indies as they come along.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I removed all the books that I had on my wish lists and removed myself from the mailing lists that I was on. I've stopped visiting the major book sites or browsing the best seller lists. I deleted my bookmarks to authors with the BPH's. Out of sight out of mind.

There are tons of classics that I've been wanting to read and I figured that I would work on my TBR list for a while. I got a library card and have been borrowing from there. I've been buying indie ebooks that catch my eye and of course there's Baen.

I thought that I would miss some of my favourite authors and the series that I was in the middle of but honestly I haven't. My only problem is that my TBR list is still growing.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:37 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Same as Barcey, I've removed myself from the mailing lists.

But I'm also sick and tired of those stupid, dumb, retarded, ancient ostriches with their heads in the sand, that I'm thinking about proving their point:

I read electronically, ergo I'm a pirate...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:46 AM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I started out just scanning the huge, already read book collection I have. Now, I'm scanning newly purchased books (both new and used) before I read them. I will buy e-books only if they are not DRMed and are the same price or less as paperbooks (including used ones if available). Otherwise, I'll buy p-books (new aqnd used) and scan them.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:30 AM   #11
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Wow! @Lady Fitzgerald. What's your time worth?
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I made it clear I was boycotting the Price-Fix Five entirely back in April.
So far, I've held to it. I've bought zero books, p- or e- from them.
So far, no shortage of new material.
I have gone back to some old favorites that are new(ish) to ebook form.
And I still have the TBR list to hit...

Oh, and I don't expect the publishers' war on consumers to last more than a year or so; it'll be clear soon enough they are leaving money on the table and the shareholders will have something to say.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-28-2010 at 08:16 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
Wow! @Lady Fitzgerald. What's your time worth?
Quite a bit. I don't bother with OCR and the resulting editing so it doesn't take me as long as you're imagining.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #14
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I'm with you on that. I simply won't pay over $9.99 for an ebook. Lately, I've been reading about 50% indie anyway, which further helps to lower my per-book average cost. I think the mega publishers may actually be driving business toward indies, so I'm not complaining too loudly at their dumb pricing strategies.

kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Slightly different plan, its the same plan as I had with LCD TVs. When I see a product available that I like, I imagine a price I want to pay for it and eventually someone will sell me that product at that price. My strike price for ebook readers has been $100, and although the touch screens have not hit that yet, Aluratek was willing to sell for that amount, even though its not touch screen. I am watching and waiting for a touch screen to hit that price, and I will eventually getit if I am patient enough.

As far as preying on customers goes, they all do that so its sort of like pick the friendliest vulture. I picked Borders becuase there prices tended to under cut most of their compeition and I want to encourage retailers to under cut eachother's prices. They also frequently send out discount codes, and I want to encourage that since it drops prices.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote