Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #346
smimmy
smimmy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (WiFi) N647
I have a second-hand Kobo Wifi, N647 (N14939) that I started using recently. Could I get a copy of that internal SD card image, too? I haven't found any other links to it yet on the web or this forum. I have the front cover off, I have downloaded Win32DiskImager 0.9.5, and I'm ready to write a fresh image on to the card.

Here's the details, if anybody's interested: after charging one day it came up saying it was updating software and all books were gone. It won't recognize books that it used to recognize from the external SD card, the storage that appears on the computer was empty (I don't have a backup of that because I didn't realize it might matter). I had not used special software to connect to it before, but neither the newest Kobo Desktop nor Calibre will completely work (Kobo Desktop never recognizes that it's plugged in, and Calibre seems to think transfers occured, but can't get a file list or do anything else). I've done several resets from the settings and with the pinhole in the back with no change.

Is it correct that the N647 model can not side-load firmware from the external SD card? It was very difficult trying to tell what versions of firmware are compatible with it and what special key combinations it supports, since I did not see any of this in the user's manual (which also has disappeared from the device, but I downloaded a copy). It says it is running 1.9.12 (10/16/14), which may be the culprit, since it was running firmware from 2010 when I saw it working last. I did allow it to connect via wifi before, so it may have updated itself when I was charging.

Thank you for continuing to take interest in this old hardware! It really makes me more confident in using a device when it has an enthusiastic user community.
smimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:43 AM   #347
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD
smimmy: The symptoms you describe are a problem with installing the latest firmware. The only known fix is to rewrite the SD card from an image.

None of the Kobo devices do anything with the SD card until they are started. The firmware update is from a directory in the main memory. That gets there either by downloading over WiFi, or copying from the PC. The Kobo desktop app does a download and a copy to the device. Strictly Kobo does not support firmware updates except when done over WiFi or using the desktop app. Hence, there is no real reason to know what the supported firmware is, as the Kobo server supplies the current version for the device. But, if you want to know, there is a firmware download thread in the developers section with links to all the known firmware versions for the different Kobo devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:09 AM   #348
smimmy
smimmy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (WiFi) N647
davidfor: Ok, I suspected as much. When I saw that the internal storage partition was wiped (.kobo and everything was gone), I wondered if it had crashed during an update, or maybe I disconnected too early.

Thank you for the help!
smimmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
image, kobo, kobo wifi, sd card, wifi