Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Paperwhite not keeping correct time

Since I received my PW, it has never kept correct time but I have no idea why. It is not registered and I don't have wifi, but surely this shouldn't make any difference - none of my previous Sony readers were registered and they all kept perfect, (or near perfect), time. Can anybody shed any light on this problem, or do I need to speak to Amazon CS and request a replacement?
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I find sometimes after a restart my time will change. If I connect to wireless it then corrects it right away, but since you don't have wi-fi I guess that won't help. :\ I'd give kindle support a call.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle will only set its clock correctly by synching with Amazon's servers. Register your Kindle and leave WiFi connected for a few minutes and that'll sort it out.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
My PW keeps the time correct, unless I fully restart with menu->settings, menu->restart. And then sometimes it does forget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle will only set its clock correctly by synching with Amazon's servers. Register your Kindle and leave WiFi connected for a few minutes and that'll sort it out.
I have also found that connecting to wifi, and manually start "Sync and Check for Items" in the menu on home screen works. Once that is finished you can turn wifi back off, no need to wait until the Kindle decides to start syncing on its own or wait a few minutes.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
My PW keeps the time correct, unless I fully restart with menu->settings, menu->restart. And then sometimes it does forget.
Yes, that's true, but if the OP's Kindle has never connected to Amazon's servers, then it definitely won't be right.

If she doesn't have WiFi herself, just go somewhere that does. MacDonald's is generally good for free WiFi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Why don't you want to register it?
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you to all that have replied, I shall give up setting the time on my PW now. However, I'm finding it hard to understand why an electronic device should need a connection to the internet to keep the correct time? It is totally ridiculous, even more so as they actually give you the chance to set the time on the device.

I think this is probably the final straw that will make this my first and last Kindle - other manufacturers will hopefully have produced a comparable device by the time this needs replacing. Other than the best screen around at the moment, for me the greatest enjoyment of having a Kindle has been the enormous amount of 3rd party cheap covers available. It is always hard trying to find suitable (here read slim non-generic) covers for a Kobo or Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Why don't you want to register it?
As I posted in another thread:

No advantage for me to register as I don't use wifi at all, but there are some disadvantages. I always sideload my books, (even if bought from Amazon), I don't want to manage collections on the PW, I wish to do so on my computer as usual. However, I don't have a problem with people seeing what I am reading - I really like to use the cover of my current book as my screensaver - but I don't want information from my device being shared without my knowledge or agreement, (in fact I don't use Cloud storage in any form at all, not just Amazon but Apple, Google etc.), neither do I want my device to be updated without my permission - there are often bugs in first releases of software as well as so called "improvements" that are often anything but.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
It doesn't need to connect to the internet to KEEP the time, only to get it in the first place, or to re-set it after a re-boot.
You have to remember that, in Amazon's eyes, a Kindle is only there so that you will buy books from them, that's where their main profit comes from, so there is no advantage to them in making it fully functional without registering it with them.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
You can always register it, then de-register it once the time is set.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lyn2012, it is rather sad that you want to abandon a perfectly fine ereader. Even without the added benefit of Amazon's excellent eco-system and customer support, the Kindles itself lack very little, feature wise and stability wise.

Yes, we suggested syncing as the method of choice, because it is hands down the fastest and easiest way to do that. There is however a way to set time and date, and that only needs to be done once after each restart. See wiki: Search Bar Shortcuts on how to use ;setTime or short ;st to set time AND date all at once.

There is a simple reason for Amazon not offering a menu option for setting the date: it prevents angry calls to CS, because recent sorting is messed up. By automating that during syncs it becomes peace of mind for both Amazon and the customer.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
Lyn2012
Addict

Quote:
Lyn2012, it is rather sad that you want to abandon a perfectly fine ereader. Even without the added benefit of Amazon's excellent eco-system and customer support, the Kindles itself lack very little, feature wise and stability wise.

Yes, we suggested syncing as the method of choice, because it is hands down the fastest and easiest way to do that. There is however a way to set time and date, and that only needs to be done once after each restart. See wiki: Search Bar Shortcuts on how to use ;setTime or short ;st to set time AND date all at once.
Thank you DuckieTigger but actually setting the time isn't my problem, I've reset it many many times. The problem is that it doesn't keep good time, I set it and the next time I remember to look at it, maybe the following day, the clock is hours wrong. I don't need to see the date, but the time would be very useful for when I get carried away in my book.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
I don't need to see the date, but the time would be very useful for when I get carried away in my book.
You might not need the date correct, but the Kindle does need it. It will get confused otherwise. Losing time overnight when you are not watching sounds a lot like a crash while it was busy doing something and got confused. I just restarted my own PW (no crash) and it kept the time correct (airplane mode was on). So it does not have to lose time on a restart, only maybe on some kind of crash.

If the date really doesn't make any difference to you, then I would like you to just see what happens when you set it. Can't hurt right? The next thing to check would be to see if there is still books that need indexing. On home screen search for "." (just a period) - if nothing needs indexing, then you should see no result. If you still have things to index, it might be stuck indexing. There is some mobi books out there that like to crash the indexer, or make it stall. Would have no idea why your PW would crash any other way, especially when you are not doing anything at the time.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
Lyn2012
Addict

Quote:
You might not need the date correct, but the Kindle does need it. It will get confused otherwise. Losing time overnight when you are not watching sounds a lot like a crash while it was busy doing something and got confused. I just restarted my own PW (no crash) and it kept the time correct (airplane mode was on). So it does not have to lose time on a restart, only maybe on some kind of crash.

If the date really doesn't make any difference to you, then I would like you to just see what happens when you set it. Can't hurt right? The next thing to check would be to see if there is still books that need indexing. On home screen search for "." (just a period) - if nothing needs indexing, then you should see no result. If you still have things to index, it might be stuck indexing. There is some mobi books out there that like to crash the indexer, or make it stall. Would have no idea why your PW would crash any other way, especially when you are not doing anything at the time.
I can't set the date, that option isn't available to me. I've checked and it's not indexing, what else could it possibly be doing when it should be asleep? I have never seen it crash, is there a log file stored somewhere I could check?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
What a weird thread....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
but my desktop always seems to have the wrong time - several minutes slow -- it should be syncing with MS time servers I believe. I guess it's really true that MS is behind the times.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote