Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #16
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Okay, but be careful when you're in public. There are places that arrest people for that!
Well, as long as they let me read my Kindle while behind bars.......
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:40 AM   #17
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I dropped my Kindle 2 several times and I think if it hadn't been in a decent leather cover at the time I'm sure it would have broken.

So when I ordered a Kindle 3 I also factored in the price of a cover - having the integrated light is a bonus and doesn't cost that much more.

In fact the whole package - Kindle 3 and lighted cover is costing less than my Kindle 2 did minus a cover! So actually a lot cheaper.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 05:54 AM   #18
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I think its worth it. ON the review video I saw it even switches off when your Kindle goes in sleep mode, so no worries about falling asleep with it pulled out and wasting battery. Love that feature.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #19
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I don't think those LED lights are good for reading. The lighting is uneven, in this case the lower part of the scren, specially on the left, will be darker.

And we should read with a good, even light. I know it's useful to read in bed, while the partner is sleeping on the side, but it's not good to the eyes. But if you have to compromize...

Anyway, Amazon's cover + light has another feature: no batteries. It uses the Kindle's. So you don't have to buy and replace batteries frequently.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #20
namebrandon
Connoisseur
namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Kindle WiFi
You guys are thinking about this "book light" thing the wrong way..

namebrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #21
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Hold out for an Oberon. They're $75 and the quality is un-matched, I hear.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #22
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by namebrandon View Post
You guys are thinking about this "book light" thing the wrong way..
+1

Nothing beats an LED headlamp. It doesn't even have to be a name brand like Petzl. It can be an Energizer or Garrity from Walmart.

Never a glare problem, more portable, more durable, and useful for other stuff than reading. (both hands are free!)
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
Nothing beats an LED headlamp.
I'm more a fan of the classic lamp than LED.

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #24
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Has anyone tried reading under the light of the moon?
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #25
travis
Enthusiast
travis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ipod Touch 3G, 10" Acer Netbook, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
+1

Nothing beats an LED headlamp. It doesn't even have to be a name brand like Petzl. It can be an Energizer or Garrity from Walmart.

Never a glare problem, more portable, more durable, and useful for other stuff than reading. (both hands are free!)
Oh yeah, I forgot about that! I already carry one of these when I travel. I will try it with the Kindle.

I guess the one drawback would be when reading with a light in public (a poorly lit restaurant, for instance), I would look pretty dorky!

I have one like this:

http://www.rei.com/product/793267

It is very easy to pocket! Both light and small and the intensity is fully adjustable, batteries (3 AAA) are supposed to last over 90 hours.

Travis
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #26
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
...I guess the one drawback would be when reading with a light in public (a poorly lit restaurant, for instance), I would look pretty dorky!
Are we talking, you know, McDonald's, or something a little nicer?

Actually, either way, if you're reading your Kindle in a restaurant, you already look kinda dorky, so why worry about adding a headlamp? (hope you have a good sense of humor, Travis)
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #27
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'm more a fan of the classic lamp than LED.
My grandfather was a coal miner. I still have his lamp, unfortunately the cap is long gone.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #28
sweevo
Groupie
sweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nounlu View Post
I think $60 for a cover is too expensive for a device I am paying only $99 after the credit card refund deal.
How about paying $20 for a cover (after the credit card refund deal) on a device you are paying $139 for?
sweevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #29
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
I'm at the other end of the spectrum--I'm going to buy a bubble-wrap mailing envelope ($1.29 maybe) and slide my K3 in there.
What a great idea! That will work until all the other makers start making K3 covers. I like to read it without a cover, but need something to transport it to a fro. So no fancy cover for me.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #30
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Well, as someone who bought the K3 mostly because it finally was cheap ($139), I have to agree with the OP, $60, or almost half the price of the K3 for a cover is kind of a lot.

I know it has a light in it, and it's leather. But there still has to be some serious markup (probably 400-500%). Cows get killed anyway for their meat, so it's not like it's some rare animal producing the leather that is hunted down by highly paid professionals. And LED lights are insanely cheap, you can get a LED flashlight for a few dollars. Heck, batteries are more expensive than the rest of the flashlight.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote