Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-15-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Two Microsoft Press e-books for free until April 22 (PDF)

I just stumbled across this news over at golem.de. I don't have any use for the books, but I thought some of you might have.
Quote:
2009 is the 25th anniversary of Microsoft Press! The press's first book was published on March 22, 1984: The Apple Macintosh Book, by Cary Lu. For 25 years, Microsoft Press has described Microsoft products and technologies like nobody else.

To celebrate, we’ve been offering free e-books to our readers, and I’m happy to announce that April’s e-books are now available:

* Windows Small Business Server 2008 Administrator's Companion by Charlie Russel and Sharon Crawford (27 chapters, 3 appendices, 712 pages)
* Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition: Build a Program Now! by Patrice Pelland (9 chapters, Glossary, 254 pages)

Grab them now because this offer ends on April 22. And, as always, enjoy!
Link: http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_pres...-in-april.aspx
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Am I the only one who finds it funny that the first book produced by Microsoft Press is a book about the Apple Mac?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Am I the only one who finds it funny that the first book produced by Microsoft Press is a book about the Apple Mac?
No !
It's exactly what I told my colleagues after reading this news item.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Not really when the Macintosh came out Microsoft fell in love with it. They thought it was a great platform an developed several applications for the Mac.

They then used that knowledge to build windows.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:39 AM   #5
rjh
Connoisseur
rjh doesn't litterrjh doesn't litter

Device: TungstenT3 Nokia770 BeBook
Quote:
Well, Microsoft Press also published books about OS/2 for a little while. At least Microsoft has a relatively long history of writing software for the Apple Mac. It's OS/2 history was very transient.
rjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post
Well, Microsoft Press also published books about OS/2 for a little while. At least Microsoft has a relatively long history of writing software for the Apple Mac. It's OS/2 history was very transient.
Hmm. Not sure I agree with that. For quite a while, Microsoft was the driving force behind OS/2. And OS/2 in turn was the force behind several leading Microsoft products. I remember Microsoft's original involvement with SQL Server, for instance, which was intended mainly to propel OS/2 into the database server market.

As for the Mac, Microsoft has a long history of Mac support. Long into the Windows era, they were writing versions of all the Office apps for the Mac, not to mention many of their developer tools.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote