Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #1
Lanyon
Lanyon doesn't litterLanyon doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Can you edit the text in LRF format

I have some books with awful formatting, and I would like to be able to edit them. The books are in LRF and OPF format...any ideas on editing?

JL
Lanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Use LRFTools and convert them to something else... edit, then reconvert
Or read the books and forget em
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
Lanyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Use LRFTools and convert them to something else... edit, then reconvert
Or read the books and forget em
Thanks,

Just to clear things up, I am using an Intel Imac. I downloaded LRFtools, but cannot make any sense of it. It looks like a command line programmes in Java.

1. does it work on a Mac

2. How the devil do you run it?

Jim
Old 03-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanyon View Post
Thanks,

Just to clear things up, I am using an Intel Imac. I downloaded LRFtools, but cannot make any sense of it. It looks like a command line programmes in Java.

1. does it work on a Mac

2. How the devil do you run it?

Jim
I am on an Intel Mac also and it works great. First thing is to make sure you are using Java 1.6
In terminal app type: java -version
It should reply with like this:
java -version
java version "1.6.0_12"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_12-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.2-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

I placed renamed the file to simply LRFTools.jar to make things easy and I saved it under my documents folder. I also made a directory called eBook and put the books I wanted to convert there.

in terminal type : cd /Users/(username)/Doucuments
then: java -Xms200M -Xmx300M -jar LRFTools.jar convertLRF /Users/(username)/Doucuments/eBook/ -HTML

Change the (username) to what you are using and the -HTML to what ever format you want to use. I am going to try it right now on mine to make sure that i am not full of crap

Worked like a charm. The above will convert all ebooks in the eBook directory into what you tell it to...

Then edit away and re-convert to LRF or epub or whatever...
Old 03-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
Lanyon

Hi Rcuardro,

Thanks for the advice.

I checked my java version and it is 1.5 something, definitely not 1.6 - I guess I need to upgrade this.

I haven't found a way to upgrade yet as the java site says Apple will upgrade via the standard upgrade function, however, this says there are no upgrades availble. I will have to hunt the web to find out how to get to 1.6. Once I do, your command line text will be invaluable.

Thanks again..

JL
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 05:51 AM   #6
Lanyon

Hello,

I cannot find a site to download java 1.6 - can anyone give me a clue please?

Jim
Old 03-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard

search for java and you should see a java control panel. You are going to have to tell it to use the 1.6...
Old 03-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
Lanyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
search for java and you should see a java control panel. You are going to have to tell it to use the 1.6...
Thanks,

that did the trick....

Jim
Old 03-10-2009, 04:48 AM   #9
alex-2008
alex-2008 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I am going to use this method in order to put links into some lrf files that lack them. But it strikes me that the source used (html?) should be kept somewhere here on MobileRead and that that would be better still. For example, how might I find the source used for the Harvard Classics series?
alex-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #10
alex-2008
alex-2008 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Just an update. I have been using LRFTools to make html from the MobileRead files I want to tweak.

Amaya allows me to edit the resulting html - putting in the correct formatting. I then use Calibre to recreate the lrf. To import the files to my Sony prs-505 using Sony's own eBook Library software. This software appears to do something extra to the file compared with transferring directly from Calibre, resulting in quicker opening and re-sizing for example, as well as avoiding the occasional reset.
alex-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote