Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Looks like OI's gonna have to attack the keyboard issue.

As BeBook just announced a whole NEW BeBook 2 - complete with NO '0'-'9' keys! Kinda looks like a cross between a Kindle and a Cybook.

Derek
Old 03-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
As BeBook just announced a whole NEW BeBook 2 - complete with NO '0'-'9' keys! Kinda looks like a cross between a Kindle and a Cybook.

Derek

This does concern me. I like OpenInkpot....
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post

Derek
Don't compare the BeBook 2 with a Kindle! The BeBook 2 looked good, the Kindle doesn't...

I don't think the lack of keys will be much of a problem, won't the touchscreen interface, 3G capability and WIFI capability be much more of a problem? And don't forget that webbrowser for the RSS feeds...
Old 03-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
quickhand
Connoisseur
quickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hanlin V3, Sony prs-505, Hanwang n516
Don't you worry, friends and well-wishers. A few tweaks will make madshelf, fbreader, etc. touchscreen ready, and I'm already hard at work on OpenInkpot's new web browser - Manic Browser - a webkit and efl based browser optimized for touch-enabled ebook readers. And what's more, the basic functionality is already in place. That's right, it's already a working web browser. Cheers!
Old 03-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickhand View Post
Don't you worry, friends and well-wishers. A few tweaks will make madshelf, fbreader, etc. touchscreen ready, and I'm already hard at work on OpenInkpot's new web browser - Manic Browser - a webkit and efl based browser optimized for touch-enabled ebook readers. And what's more, the basic functionality is already in place. That's right, it's already a working web browser. Cheers!
Yeahbut! This would be a 'perfect' time for someone to address the whole 5-way navigator method used by the Cybook - as well as the two-sided page-forward/backward method used by the BeBook 2.

Derek
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Don't compare the BeBook 2 with a Kindle! The BeBook 2 looked good, the Kindle doesn't...

I don't think the lack of keys will be much of a problem, won't the touchscreen interface, 3G capability and WIFI capability be much more of a problem? And don't forget that webbrowser for the RSS feeds...
But I like to be able to just cursor around the menus without having to use a second hand. (When lying in bed holding the device.) And we've never really dealt with the Cybook's 5-way controller.

As for looking 'kinda like' the Kindle, the new BeBook DOES have paging controls on both sides, yes?

Derek
Old 03-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
quickhand
Connoisseur
quickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hanlin V3, Sony prs-505, Hanwang n516
The button configuration is not the problem, the problem is that the cybook is woefully short on memory and no one's had the time to optimize OI enough for it to run decently on that device. Addressing the "5-way nagivator" would take about 20 seconds. But what's the point if we can't run it?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
cobalt8
Enthusiast
cobalt8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickhand View Post
You don't know how happy this makes me. lol I've been holding off on buying a reader until the new BeBook/Hanlin/Astak devices are released, but it was bothering me that I might be sacrificing the opportunity to run OI. OI is on one of the main reasons I was drawn to the Hanlin line. It makes me feel much better that porting OI to the new versions may not be as difficult as what I was making it out to be in my head.