Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Lightbulb Wrong-cover bug workaround?

I have a Kobo Glo running firmware 2.3.1, and I've been bit by the bug that displays the wrong book cover when I sleep my device.

In odd moments at work today, I've been experimenting with ways to force the right covers. Here's what I've been doing.

First, displaying full-screen covers during sleep almost always seemed to be wrong.

I turned off the full-screen option and got six or seven right covers in a row. These were all books I had been reading recently.

I tried displaying some covers of books I hadn't read yet on this device and right away hit a book that displayed the previous book's cover. However, it had opened to the table of contents, not the cover. I paged back to the cover and displayed it while reading the book, and then slept the Kobo. This time it displayed the right cover.

The very next unread book's cover wouldn't display during sleep even when I paged back to it. It kept displaying the cover of the previous book. However, I managed to force it to display correctly (I think) by turning off the cover display feature in Settings, sleeping the device, then turning cover display back on. Now it displays normally.

This version of the bug does seem more complicated than the previous version, which always displayed the previous book's cover. With that version of the bug, you could just sleep the Kobo twice to get the right cover.

So my recommendations for a current cover-display workaround are...

1. Turn off full-screen covers.
2. If a cover doesn't display, try paging to it while reading the book.
3. If that doesn't work, toggle cover display as described.

Most of all, experiment yourself. I look forward to what you find out.

Caveats: I am not a professional software tester, and as we know. Kobos can vary widely, even among the same model and firmware versions.

Last edited by rwhe; 01-02-2013 at 08:53 PM.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well not quite sure which bit of your magic worked but something sure as heck did!

A book I was reading that stubbornly refused to show the cover now is :-)

I had tried everything under the sun; adding/ dropping covers; reloading the book; even I think a reset, it now just works!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yay! I consider that high praise, sir!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Thanks! The sequence that worked for me was:
1. Settings -> turn off full-size covers
2. Put to sleep, wrong cover still shown
3. Wake. Go to Table of Contents -> select Cover
4. Go to Table of Contents -> select current chapter
5. Put to sleep, correct cover now shown
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #5
rwhe
Hierodule

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
treadlightly, your method worked for me too a few times, although it didn't seem to matter whether I visited the cover through the table of contents or by manually paging there. Not all my books list the cover in the ToC.

I've also seen both methods work with full-size covers now. They seem to work better with full-size covers turned off, but I could be fooling myself.

(edit)

I guess the main thing I've learned is that with this bug, covers have to be enabled "per file" -- whether an ebook can display a cover differs from book to book, until you force the display by "kicking" the book if necessary.

Last edited by rwhe; 01-03-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
6. Put your hands on your hips.
7. You bring your knees in tight.
8. But it's the pelvic thrust
9. That really drives you insane.
10. Let's do the time-warp again.
11. Let's do the time-warp again.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
That sounds like a good work around. No sense in development looking further into the problem.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
rwhe
Hierodule

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
That sounds like a good work around. No sense in development looking further into the problem.
It's not as nice as a truly working cover display, but figuring out how to "kick" stuck covers makes doing the Time Warp (or even the Hokey Pokey) worth the effort for me -- as long as I don't have to do it every time.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
It's not as nice as a truly working cover display, but figuring out how to "kick" stuck covers makes doing the Time Warp (or even the Hokey Pokey) worth the effort for me -- as long as I don't have to do it every time.
I have not had the bug with this firmware, however, I did with a previous firmware and the problem was with changing books. Going to the home screen and re-selecting the same book worked then.

And, I believe that the Hokey Cokey IS what it is all about...
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
I was thinking about using the Hokey Pokey, but my experience with the wrong cover bug fits the Time Warp better. The Cover now displayed is a book I opened about five books ago.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Even this didn't work for me! Gah.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
What did work for me was:

1. Switch off cover display during sleep
2. Close the book (go to home screen)
3. Open book
4. Turn on cover display

Voila.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #13
banther
banther has a spectacular aura aboutbanther has a spectacular aura aboutbanther has a spectacular aura aboutbanther has a spectacular aura aboutbanther has a spectacular aura aboutbanther has a spectacular aura aboutbanther has a spectacular aura aboutbanther has a spectacular aura aboutbanther has a spectacular aura aboutbanther has a spectacular aura aboutbanther has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo glo
What worked for me was simply resetting the device (basic reset, not factory). Tried all the variations above with no joy (though I did enjoy the time warp)
banther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I had a recurrence today and what seemed to help was to turn off display of the cover on sleep mode, and then turn it back on.

Your mileage might (and will) vary,
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
But the covers used to work didn't they? Have we given up all hope of the programmer being able to fix this or learn how to do basic sorting etc.?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.3.1, cover, workaround