Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Samsung smartphones outsell Apple

The latest news in this battle. http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/Sam....html?x=0&.v=1
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Is it a press release or news? Samsung is mentioned 15 times, Apple 5 times.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
No, they don't...

...or if they do, they're not telling. Reading beyond the headlines and you get a different story - or actually, not much of a story at all (my emphasis):-

Quote:
SEOUL (Reuters) - Samsung Electronics Co surpassed Apple Inc as the world's top smartphone maker with more than 40 percent shipment growth, and forecast strong sales in the fourth quarter, as it aims to consolidate its lead against rivals...
So that's shipments i.e. out of the factory into the 'channel', not sales to customers.

Quote:
Shipments of [Samsung] smartphones jumped more than 40 percent from the preceding quarter and 300 percent from a year ago. The growth leapfrogs Apple, which sold fewer iPhones in the third quarter from the previous quarter. Apple's iPhone sales slid to 17.1 million units from the second quarter's 20 million units...
So Samsung are making more units and getting them out of the door; good for them. Meanwhile, Apples sold fewer units to customers in the third quarter - possibly because everyone and their brother knew that there was a new iPhone coming out in October - but despite this still sold over 17 million iPhones.

Quote:
Samsung didn't provide third-quarter sales figures, but the percentage growth numbers suggested shipments may have risen to around 27 million units from second-quarter's 19 million units...
It's anybody's guess what that actually means, but hey, let's not let niggly little details like actual sales figures get in the way, right??
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Ok not to knit-pick too much but the article doesnt point out that apple is only selling 1 iphone model (with 3 various sizes) but on the otherhand samsun currently has 130 active smartphone models and another 30feature phone models. so while samsung sold 10 million more units than apple you have to remember thats spread over roughly 170 active cellphones... imho it would have been better to see what samsung was selling of thier top smartphone say the galaxy s 2 vs the iphone.... dont get me wrong i love the galaxy phones in fact im looking to buy one tomorrow but this wasnt a phone model to phone model comparison... this was a electronic device company vs a single phone model comparison and thats not exactly fair.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
BBC: Samsung overtakes Apple in smartphone sales

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15489523

Note that not long ago Samsung and Apple's market share was roughly the same, about 18%.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
... it would have been better to see what samsung was selling of thier top smartphone say the galaxy s 2 vs the iphone....
I don't agree on "it would have been better", but it is interesting indeed. Starting on July and up to now Samsung sold about 10 million Galaxy S II's.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394782,00.asp

I own Galaxy S I and pathetic battery life aside, it's a wonderful piece of hardware. I don't think any other phone maker has comparable screens for starters.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Ok not to knit-pick too much but the article doesnt point out that apple is only selling 1 iphone model (with 3 various sizes) but on the otherhand samsun currently has 130 active smartphone models and another 30feature phone models. so while samsung sold 10 million more units than apple you have to remember thats spread over roughly 170 active cellphones... imho it would have been better to see what samsung was selling of thier top smartphone say the galaxy s 2 vs the iphone.... dont get me wrong i love the galaxy phones in fact im looking to buy one tomorrow but this wasnt a phone model to phone model comparison... this was a electronic device company vs a single phone model comparison and thats not exactly fair.
It is entirely fair. Samusung shouldn't be penalised because they aren't anal enough to determine that consumers deserve just one model.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Ok not to knit-pick too much but the article doesnt point out that apple is only selling 1 iphone model (with 3 various sizes) ...
I believe here in the US they sell multiple models: 4, 4s, and 3G. Is it different where you are?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Samsung owns the lion's share of patents for OLED and nearly all the factories producing OLED screens.
In the vicious Apple/Samsung corporate war, Samsung locked Apple out of being able to offer super AMOLED screens early on. For some consumers, the blacker black on a Samsung screen is a factor.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I saw this news on BBC website and came streight here fully expecting it to be present in 'News' section. I wasn't wrong.

From my personal experience. I have been trying to get hold of a 4Gs iPhone with any capacity and in any colur but can't find it anywhere in London and my service providers (O2 UK) can't supply an upgrade because they don't have any handsets in stock. On the other hand Samsung and Nokia phones are offered for free on cheap tariffs everywhere. This is non-news to us because these cheap handsets are sold bucket-loads in the Far East and South Asia. Cheap would always sell more, specially in countries with huge populations.
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
In the vicious Apple/Samsung corporate war, Samsung locked Apple out of being able to offer super AMOLED screens early on. For some consumers, the blacker black on a Samsung screen is a factor.
You think Samsung withholding AMOLED screens from Apple is why Apple didn't go with AMOLED early on? Interesting theory.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
How many different phones do they have compared to apple. & as others said. This is shipped, not sold.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'm kinda surprised to see them posting a loss on the TV and monitor section. I always thought that Samsung was one of the most (if not THE most) popular TV makers out there. I figured they were selling like mad.

On second read (reading comprehension not doing so well this early in the morning), I see they're talking about displays themselves and not their own manufactured TVs and monitors.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Speaking of Samsung smartphones, they are so darn big.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #15
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I'm more surprised by their lack of success in other areas than I am by their success in the cell phone market. I think that Apple's lead in smartphone sales for a quarter was basically an anomaly and that this is a more normal result.

Samsung makes over 100 phones, covering almost all income levels. It has phones that compete directly against Apple phones (SGII) and phones that, while still smartphones, are not designed to compete with first tier phones (i.e., the continuum). Samsung is in almost every country and on every carrier.

But as long as Apple is making 2/3 of the profits for the entire industry, I don't think that they will change what they are doing.

There is no reason to discount these numbers because they represent numbers shipped rather than sold. Shipping is *almost always* a good proxy for sales. It turned out not to be in the tablet market because so many non-Apple tablets had such bad sales...but in most mature markets, it is a decent indicator. And there is certainly no evidence that retailers are sitting on large quantities of unsold samsung phones.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote