Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Amazon Kindle Fire Sale in IPad Challenge Narrows Margins

Amazon Kindle Fire Sale in IPad Challenge Narrows Margins

Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN)’s profit margins, already at a five-year low last quarter, are set to narrow next year as the world’s largest online retailer sells its new tablet computer for half the price of the iPad.

The Kindle Fire will go on sale next month for as little as $199, compared with $499 for the cheapest tablet from Apple Inc. (AAPL) The lower price will help Amazon sell 4.5 million Kindle Fires in the fourth quarter, according to Barclays Plc, topping the 3.3 million units Apple reported for iPad’s debut quarter. It also means Seattle-based Amazon loses about $10 on each tablet, according to IHS Inc.

“It is possible that in 2012 you’ll have a quarter with negative operating margins,” said Ben Schachter, an analyst at Macquarie Capital in New York. “That typically is a disaster scenario. It’s phenomenal to have this revenue growth, but at some point you want to see them make money on it.”

Chief Executive Officer Jeff Bezos is counting on sales of music, books, movies and merchandise on the tablet to make up for money lost on the device. The Kindle Fire, available Nov. 15, has a 7-inch display, smaller than the iPad’s 9.7-inch screen, Amazon said at a Sept. 28 event in New York. The device will run on Google Inc.’s Android software, have a dual-core processor and offer Wi-Fi connectivity, the company said.

more here:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...gins-tech.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm sure that Amazon will make up the difference from content sales.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i'm just glad that it will run flash
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Another journalist stating the unsubstantiated 'subsidized' guessitmate as fact.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
These guys just dont get it ... amazon isnt planing to make money on the device.. they will make it up on apps,books,movies,,music, tv shows.

Do these journalists really think amazon cares that they lost $10 on selling me the kindle 3 on the cheap last year? when between my wife and i we have purchased and read 70 books in the last year from them?. im not a mathmetician but i think amazon's profit from the 70 books ive bought last year GREATLY exceeds the slight loss on the kindle 3.

Another example, ive purchased over 700 songs, 30 apps 14 movies, 5 complete seasons of tv shows on itunes in the last 3 years with thier idevices.... if i like the kindle fire and it replaces my idevices Amazon will make a MUCH larger amount of money of me in the next 2-3 years than they would lose on the slight loss on the kindle fire.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
^^ this.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
And obviously Apple could never do the same thing with the jailbreaks, installous, and the only main use for their devices being for app/music usage.

We aren't going to see a fully working rooted KF until a month. By that time most people would have stacked up about $50 worth into their devices. That's like $5mil right there.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
We aren't going to see a fully working rooted KF until a month. By that time most people would have stacked up about $50 worth into their devices. That's like $5mil right there.
What are you kidding? 48 hours, max. Watch and see.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
48 hours maybe, yeah, but not to the point where it's going to be usable to anyone.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
What are you kidding? 48 hours, max. Watch and see.
Or less.

Oh you said Max. :-)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
gweminence
Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
48 hours maybe, yeah, but not to the point where it's going to be usable to anyone.
Devices that are actively protected against rooting (Some android phones. the iphone, others) are generally cracked within 24 hours. And amazon has publicly announced that they're NOT doing anything to prevent it with the fire.

I think my 48 hour prediction is probably 36 hours too long.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
The safe bet is go with Amazon against all the journalists, and other idiots betting against it.

I wouldn't bet against Apple either. They will do fine.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
gweminence
Fat Guy

Of course Apple will do fine. The Fire was never targeted at the iPad -- though with millions of likely sales, I'm sure they'll grab a customer or two that might have been considering an ipad.

Now, when (NOT if) Amazon releases a 10.1 version of the fire...then, I think, Apple will at least have to take notice, though iSheep are notorious for being oblivious to such revolutionary ideas as value for your dollar, performance for your dollar, and freedom to do what you like with your devices...so even the 10.1 Fire (or whatever it's called) won't endanger Apple any, thought it might take significant sales.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #14
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Of course Apple will do fine. The Fire was never targeted at the iPad -- though with millions of likely sales, I'm sure they'll grab a customer or two that might have been considering an ipad.

Now, when (NOT if) Amazon releases a 10.1 version of the fire...then, I think, Apple will at least have to take notice, though iSheep are notorious for being oblivious to such revolutionary ideas as value for your dollar, performance for your dollar, and freedom to do what you like with your devices...so even the 10.1 Fire (or whatever it's called) won't endanger Apple any, thought it might take significant sales.
I have an iPad 2 & I ordered a kindle fire. My iPad was well worth the money & I have the freedom to do whatever I want on it. I can pretty much do anything my laptop does. I'm looking forward to the kindle fire though as it will be a content consumption device for me as well, mostly reading, comics, mags, surfing, as I currently do on my iPad. Plus, I'm a gadget hor.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote