Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #121
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I think the whole idea is ridiculous! Are we children who need protecting and have to go crying to the moderators just because we don't like something that is posted? Grow up, people. If you don't like something in a thread, ignore it. If really bothers so much you can't ignore it, don't click on the thread. Mechanisms were already in place to deal with this so I feel the idea of segregating certain threads to a place that is invisible unless you opt in just because a thread strays into a certain topic is overreacting. Yeesh!
we went through a period where even the slightest little ruffle got a thread locked. I much prefer this avenue than having to keep our lips buttoned
Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #122
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
we went through a period where even the slightest little ruffle got a thread locked. I much prefer this avenue than having to keep our lips buttoned
Hmmm...Curious coming from someone with the sig line you have. I consider this action just another chisel.
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #123
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Thank you Thank you.

Even though I posted in one, I got sucked in, I really came here for ebook and book news/talk.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #124
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Old 10-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #125
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Hmmm...Curious coming from someone with the sig line you have. I consider this action just another chisel.
I don't see it that way at all. I see it as being able to speak about these things that are hushed up. I've asked if I can post about my sig line in that forum and still haven't gotten an answer. I'm going to assume that there it is ok
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #126
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
I think the whole idea is ridiculous! Are we children who need protecting and have to go crying to the moderators just because we don't like something that is posted? Grow up, people. If you don't like something in a thread, ignore it. If really bothers so much you can't ignore it, don't click on the thread.
That would be fine if it were just the occasional post from a troll or someone who can't refrain from spouting off at the mouth. The problem is that, even if 98% or the readers can successfully ignore that person there is always one or two others that, for one reason or another, cannot refrain from responding. Eventually entire threads get sucked dry of anything but those one or two people smacking each other around.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #127
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
That would be fine if it were just the occasional post from a troll or someone who can't refrain from spouting off at the mouth. The problem is that, even if 98% or the readers can successfully ignore that person there is always one or two others that, for one reason or another, cannot refrain from responding. Eventually entire threads get sucked dry of anything but those one or two people smacking each other around.

Too True
Old 10-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #128
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
I think the whole idea is ridiculous! Are we children who need protecting and have to go crying to the moderators just because we don't like something that is posted? Grow up, people. If you don't like something in a thread, ignore it. If really bothers so much you can't ignore it, don't click on the thread. Mechanisms were already in place to deal with this so I feel the idea of segregating certain threads to a place that is invisible unless you opt in just because a thread strays into a certain topic is overreacting. Yeesh!
Dunno about you Yankees, but we in Great Britain are in a Nanny state for the last decade.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #129
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
I seldom...very, very seldom...visit the Lounge so it really doesn't affect me one way or the other. Although I do say one reason is these political/religious debates bore me. The other being time limitations.

I do agree with the new policy though and may start dropping into the Lounge from time to time.
d
Old 10-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #130
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
I think this is a great idea! I may even start reading and posting again.

Quote:
You know, I think from the comments on this thread that there are enough people sick and tired of having to comb through all the chaff in these forums to get to the kernel of useful postings. I'm sure some folks will miss the thrill of drama and being the center of attention now that their annoying rampages are no longer broadcast to masses through the Popular Posts listing, but I'm sure they'll adapt.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #131
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
You know, I think from the comments on this thread that there are enough people sick and tired of having to comb through all the chaff in these forums to get to the kernel of useful postings. I'm sure some folks will miss the thrill of drama and being the center of attention now that their annoying rampages are no longer broadcast to masses through the Popular Posts listing, but I'm sure they'll adapt.
Sounds like you'd fit right in.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #132
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Sounds like you'd fit right in.

(You'll have to take that in lieu of karma in case I forget by the time I can give you some more)
Old 10-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #133
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
I think this is a great idea! I may even start reading and posting again.

Well said!..I just might *pop in* from time to time (without any comments) to see if it's the same round of protagonists who are sounding forth on their so-called superior knowledge.

Cheers.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #134
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Discussions related to politics or religion are available on an opt-in and opt-out basis only (opt-out by default).
Sounds like a good compromise to me.

As forums evolve and people come to know one another, restricting them to specific topics only becomes like herding cats. We are social animals and we like to chit-chat and to argue. Politics and religion are two hot-button items. I've been on forums where they've tried to forbid those topics, and it always winds up causing more dissension than it prevents. The smart forums create sandboxes where those discussions can take place, so that those who are also interested in them have a place to vent with people they know (whether they agree with them or not ).

One of the forums I'm on broke up the political discussions into two rooms, Red (conservative) and Blue (progressive/liberal). Anyone can read the posts in either room, but if you post in one room, you're forbidden from posting in the other room for 45 days. You also can't quote or refer to specific posts in the other room. This cuts down on trolling and flame wars, and since news topics change so quickly, the 45-day time limit gives topics a chance to cool down (not to mention, if you're used to posting in a political forum, it's almost like going through withdrawal to not post for 45 days just to be able to change rooms. )
Old 10-29-2010, 01:43 AM   #135
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

oh my gosh!!! I can't imagine!!!!
Closed Thread