Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 02:18 AM   #31
pbennett
Enthusiast
pbennett began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
My quoting the 'use' the WiFi was referring to the fact that it wasn't really useful. Only being able to buy books from B&N via the WiFi offers no advantage over the cellular connection. If it had a web browser like the Kindle and it was usable over WiFi then that would be a slight advantage...

Quote:
But regardless of that there is great potential for this device. Even if the WiFi is locked down, and I can't see that being the case, then hackers and nerds will develop custom roms that offer more features including WiFi and some sort of browser. Even without a browser I believe there will shortly be a way to install your own android apps (custom made for the nook of course) to do all sorts of neat things.
I would never assume any of these things. So far B&N has definitely overpromised and under-delivered. We'll see what happens once people actually start getting the devices. My biggest concern right now is that the devices looked really slow. In the video the e-ink refresh looked really bad compared to the K2 and newer Sonys.

Quote:
The WiFi radio consumes less power than the 3G as it's range is shorter. This makes for longer device life. What's bad about that.
Nothing really, but at least with my Kindle, battery life is a complete non-issue. Again, while WiFi could be a nice feature, with B&N limiting its use to only buying from the B&N store, it's almost meaningless IMO.
pbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #32
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
WiFi can be useful in situations where there IS no cell service, but you can get WiFi. If I was at my house with nook, and nook didn't have WiFi, I couldn't wirelessly browse and buy books from BN because I would have no cell service. Why, you ask? Because ONLY Verizon has service here. No one else.

I could just connect to my laptop and download from there, but what if I don't want to do that, or my laptop is broken? I still have WiFi in my house I could use.

Of course, this is all hypothetical, because I'm not getting nook. I don't think.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #33
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbennett View Post
Just curious - why is the wifi a big selling point? You can't really 'use' it.
I think what you mean to say is that 'you' can't really use it. I on the other hand will hack and mod the nook to my hearts content in the process finding a way to 'use' the WiFi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbennett View Post
I would never assume any of these things. So far B&N has definitely overpromised and under-delivered.
That is why you are you and I am me, and you are not happy and I am.

I also don't think they have under-delivered. The have a device with nice specs ready to ship. Sure there have been slips in projected ship dates, but that's to be expected with a non-tech company branching out into releasing technological devices. In fact I feel that the shipping date hasn't slipped that much at all. If this was a device from Apple or Sony, someone experienced in the fickleness of the consumer electronic market, then I would worry.

I will see the nook as a failure if it never ships, or is completely unusable once I do receive it. Other than that I don't see how I can be unhappy.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #34
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
WiFi can be useful in situations where there IS no cell service, but you can get WiFi. If I was at my house with nook, and nook didn't have WiFi, I couldn't wirelessly browse and buy books from BN because I would have no cell service. Why, you ask? Because ONLY Verizon has service here. No one else.

I could just connect to my laptop and download from there, but what if I don't want to do that, or my laptop is broken? I still have WiFi in my house I could use.

Of course, this is all hypothetical, because I'm not getting nook. I don't think.
my cell phone is Verizon, Kindle is on Sprint. my connection is bad enough that I have to walk around outside, lift one foot up and point to Mars to get a good connection on a good day. my Kindle is always able to connect though
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #35
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Because we are in a little valley between some mountains there is one small cell tower that they put in about 18 months ago, and it doesn't play with other providers. Verizon only. If you look on any map, for any carrier, there is a big white spot where I live. Even with our tower there are areas around here that don't get coverage.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #36
JJoyce
JJoyce began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Publicity.

Lots of people read Pogue and Mossberg.
FYI,

Walt Mossberg does have a nook in his possession. I suspect David Pogue likely does as well, along with others from major outlets.

The silence most likely IS due to an embargo on reviews. I'd imagine they'd lift the embargo sometime this week since people will have a chance to see a nook for themselves tomorrow.
JJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:30 AM   #37
Mac Jones
Connoisseur
Mac Jones began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
deleted

Last edited by Mac Jones; 12-07-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Mac Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #38
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, isn't the nook under a review embargo?
Based on the time stamps of the reviews that are coming out-I think its pretty safe to say "yes" on that one (Engadget 12:01 am, Technologizer 9:01pm Pacific, Gizmodo 1:00am)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote