Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-10-2008, 06:56 AM   #1
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
SD card size

I'm teetering on the edge of nearly deciding to incline towards thinking about the possibility of maybe opting for a Cybook. One issue that has given me pause in reading various threads has been the suggestion that larger SD cards create problems.

I do like the idea of carrying LOTS of my library on whatever portable device I settle for. What is people's experience?
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Any card up to 2GB works fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:11 AM   #3
tzutolin
Connoisseur
tzutolin began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How about above 2GB?

Thanks & Regards,
David
tzutolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:18 AM   #4
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Above 2GB you have enough trouble of Cybook not allowing you to navigate through your big library quickly so you don't want a bigger card. You probably don't even want a 2GB one, a bunch of 256/512 MB ones works just fine and leaves less hundred pages on the Cybook to page through to find the book you want to read.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't get a card above 2GB. The Gen3 doesn't support SDHC, and although 4GB non-SDHC cards are available, the way they are "addressed" is non-standard, and you'll probably find that you can't see any files beyond the 2GB mark on the card.

I would have though that 2.5GB of books would be enough to keep you going for a while, though. I currently have 260 books on my Gen3 - half of them large "omnibus" editions containing multiple books - and I'm using well under half the internal memory to store them.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:35 AM   #6
tzutolin
Connoisseur
tzutolin began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Thanks for suggestions, Krystian and Harry.

Yes, you are absolutely right. There is no point to get a SD card more than 2GB for just reading books.

By the way, which brands of cards you are using, and how long you have used it?

Thanks & Regards,
David
tzutolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Some cheap non-name brand. Doesn't seem to matter - speed isn't important for eBooks. I don't use it with my current Gen3, because there's loads of internal memory. I used it for about 8 months on my old 64MB "1st Gen" Gen3.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I'm using the one that came with Gen3, works perfectly.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
I'm teetering on the edge of nearly deciding to incline towards thinking about the possibility of maybe opting for a Cybook. One issue that has given me pause in reading various threads has been the suggestion that larger SD cards create problems.

I do like the idea of carrying LOTS of my library on whatever portable device I settle for. What is people's experience?
Buy a Hanlin V3 since it seems to support directory navigation.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

... or an iLiad, which also does.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Buy a Hanlin V3 since it seems to support directory navigation.

If one lives where one *can* get a Hanlin, that's a good idea. But there are no US resellers and if one lives in the US, it can be a real hassle doing a wire transfer to Hanlin.

And unless one has implemented OI and FBReader (and MadShelf) one has to deal with no decent ebook format support on the V3. (Of course, OI and FBReader have done wonders to solve *that* problem! )

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #12
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
I understand that is supposed to be the case but I am disturbed by the number of messages from people saying that they have problems running their systems with large cards and have had to retreat to smaller capacities. Are they all misguided?
Old 07-12-2008, 03:51 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't think anyone's said that a 2GB card doesn't work; just that, given the current "flat" library page, there's no really not much point in trying to put 5,000 books onto an SD card. You can if you want, but it'll take you rather a long time to find anything in the library!

With the new version of the Gen3, however, with 512MB RAM, you'll probably find that you don't need an SD card at all. I have 260 books on my Gen3 at the moment (many of them illustrated, or multi-book "anthologies") and am using less than half the available memory.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:43 AM   #14
Argel
Opinionated [but right]

Quote:
I don't think anyone's said that a 2GB card doesn't work
Thanks for the reassurance. I realize now I was just reacting to one person's messages in the New Firmware thread.

In any case I am now the proud owner of an email telling me that one day, at their leisure, Bookeen may deign to send me a Cybook. 12 DAYS to process an order?!? I wonder how many orders that costs them.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:10 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The thing is, with the NEW Gen3, you'll have plenty of internal memory that you really won't need an SD card to put content on. The new edition comes with 512meg and that's plenty of memory to put hundreds of eBooks on for reading on the go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote