Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
Spur52
Enthusiast
Spur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Printing a List

I am in the process of updating Calibre with all my e-books. So my wife wanted to know if I could print her out a list of the books so she would not obtain any duplicates in her travels as I was tying up Calibre. I see no printer Icon so assume this is not possible?
Spur52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur52 View Post
I am in the process of updating Calibre with all my e-books. So my wife wanted to know if I could print her out a list of the books so she would not obtain any duplicates in her travels as I was tying up Calibre. I see no printer Icon so assume this is not possible?
You can create a catalog of your books (dropdown arrow next to the convert icon) read this sticky post to get started.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
Spur52
Enthusiast
Spur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheeseSpur52 can extract oil from cheese

Thanks for getting back again dwanthny. When you asked if I looked at the sticky post I was going to reply I did but saw nothing that would help me. However I went back again and towards the bottom it mentions how to print the list so I'm glad you replied again.

Do you know why there is not a print tab in Calibre??

Last edited by Spur52; 10-04-2011 at 03:43 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was wanting to print out a list of the books. But I guess it can't be done.
Did you look at the sticky post I linked to above?

Quote:
Catalog format specifies the output format for the generated catalog. If you are generating a catalog to be read on a device, select the appropriate output format. For example, Kindle users would select 'MOBI', iPad and Sony users would select 'EPUB'. If you want to print out a list of books with selected metadata fields, choose 'CSV', export the generated file to your desktop, then open it with a spreadsheet program.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:36 AM   #5
Spur52
Enthusiast

Yes but it has nothing to do with printing. I read nothing there about printing to a printer. I can make a RTF but that would only do each book separately.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:53 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Yes but it has nothing to do with printing. I read nothing there about printing to a printer. I can make a RTF but that would only do each book separately.
YES IT DOES!

Spreadsheets are used to format data and print LISTS all the time.

I can't imagine printing out the list of my Library. 60 pages (60 titles per page)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
If you want to print out a list of your books then let's try this one more time. The post I sent you to tells you how to create a catalog (list) of all of your books in your library. Part of the post explicitly says (press show to reveal):

Quote:
Creating a printed catalog
Spoiler:
To get a printed catalog of your books, you'll simply need to create a catalog in CSV format. This is a format recognized by spreadsheet applications, so you can easily open the catalog in one, format it, and print.
For example, if you open the catalog in OpenOffice.org Calc, you'll need to do the following:
  • You'll first get a dialog asking you for the import settings. Select UTF-8 as character set and make sure that 'comma' is selected as a separator. There's a preview in the lower part of the window. If it looks good, click OK to confirm.
  • You'll get an unformatted list of the books in your catalog. Format it to your liking using the programs' tools.
  • Print.
Moderator Notice
Move thread to Catalog sub-forum.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-04-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
Spur52
Enthusiast

Thanks for getting back again. In my previous post about the RTF - I edited that post to say that I went back to the post you mentioned and found the printing part towards the bottom of the note - but I must not have edited it correctly.

So yes - I did find what I needed in that post. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:04 AM   #9
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
I just noticed this thread accidentally and I am interested how you manage to get a clean list with csv file with Microsoft office or is it possible with open office programs only

I mean if you make a list of authors and titles you end up with:
Author, Another author,"title" - if book has more than one author. Or only I end up with first field not in quotes?
This makes it impossible to separate columns since instead of two columns there will be 3 if there are 2 authors and so on as columns are broken at every comma if it isn't in quotes . At least using excel.

I've been breaking my head over this for a long time and the only solution I figured out is to make a column from other columns (for example title and author, in format I want) and make csv file with only that one column.

So I'd really like to know if I'm missing something simple.

More detail in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...29&postcount=4
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:32 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Not sure why you are having a problem!

When I create a CSV catalog using standard Calibre settings, all fields are enclosed in quotes so that any commas embedded in the field are ignored for separator purposes. Using your example I end up with:
"author 1, author2", "title", ....
which is what I would expect for a CSV file.

If I load the result into Excel (again with default settings) it loads into each column exactly what I expect with the authors all loading into the same column regardless of how many there are..

Last edited by itimpi; 10-14-2011 at 05:35 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:44 AM   #11
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
I seem to always get the first values not in quotes that's why all the trouble.

I copied the exact format how row looks in my csv file:

Quote:
Author, Another author,"title"
All other fields/categories (?) are put in quotes except for the first one. I tried with authors, custom titles etc. First is always without quotes. So apparently I get incorrect csv file...

I tried to have formats in first and I would get:

pdf, epub, txt, "Author, Author", "title" etc... result 5 columns instead of 3
Again commas in first field without any quotes

I made at least 30 lists yesterday and the result was always the same no matter what fields I choose.

I thought it's strange that program produces unusable csv file, but I'm not the best with calibre so thought maybe I'm missing some key information.

Wonder what could cause this. Can't be because of some incorrectly made column as I tried with default columns only

Last edited by Noughty; 10-14-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote