Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
plantedbypiggies
oink!
plantedbypiggies doesn't litterplantedbypiggies doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150
10 Free E-books from Dragon Moon Press

Dragon Moon Press is offering 10 free novels as PDF downloads from their blog. If any of you are interested in small press, this should be interesting.
plantedbypiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The better half likes this stuff, I snagged them for her. Thanks
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
A whole pile of new authors to try out! Cool, thanks for the link
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantedbypiggies View Post
Dragon Moon Press is offering 10 free novels as PDF downloads from their blog. If any of you are interested in small press, this should be interesting.
I'm interested in small presses, but not in reading PDF.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I'm interested in small presses, but not in reading PDF.
Same here. I wrote to the publisher at Dragon Moon about availability in other formats and the response was that free versions are only in PDF but that other formats are available at Fictionwise. I am interested in a couple of their titles, but I'm not willing to gamble on the quality of the authors/press without trying one of the books first. Seems shortsighted to me but I do understand the reluctance to give away product.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
There are a few of these small pubs that sell PDFs direct, but use Fictionwise multiformat to make other formats available. I know Imajinn does it that way too, so do some others I just can't think of who right now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
plantedbypiggies
oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Same here. I wrote to the publisher at Dragon Moon about availability in other formats and the response was that free versions are only in PDF but that other formats are available at Fictionwise. I am interested in a couple of their titles, but I'm not willing to gamble on the quality of the authors/press without trying one of the books first. Seems shortsighted to me but I do understand the reluctance to give away product.
I'm not exactly a fan of pdf as an e-book format either. However, I've got a couple of their e-books, and they're not too bad. So, I thought others would be interested in it.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:59 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Since you can download the PDF for free wouldn't you be able to use that to access the quality of the writing and story. Surely neither would be tainted by the format.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:37 AM   #9
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Hmm, I can only open four of the ten books: The two by Oliver, and those by Henderson and Ward. I get errors on all the others. :-(
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #10
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
The way they structured the pdf's is quite annoying actually.

They open in full screen mode, one crashed my pc - happens occasionally with large pdf's that I open in Firefox for some reason - , it's really a lot of trouble for the end-user - not worth the time unless you really want one of those books. Which I don't.

But for sampling, I think it is exactly the wrong way to do it. Either offer a straight pdf download, or offer half the text in html or prc, and ask for payment for the rest...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #11
plantedbypiggies
oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
The way they structured the pdf's is quite annoying actually.

They open in full screen mode, one crashed my pc - happens occasionally with large pdf's that I open in Firefox for some reason - , it's really a lot of trouble for the end-user - not worth the time unless you really want one of those books. Which I don't.

But for sampling, I think it is exactly the wrong way to do it. Either offer a straight pdf download, or offer half the text in html or prc, and ask for payment for the rest...
What I did was I saved the file before ever opening it via ctrl-click:save file as. Then, when I opened in Acrobat, I told it not to open in full screen and had it remember the settings. No problems that way, and I can sample them at my own leisure.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Since you can download the PDF for free wouldn't you be able to use that to access the quality of the writing and story. Surely neither would be tainted by the format.
The problem is less the PDF format as that I absolutely refuse to read for pleasure on my computer, which is what would be required. I spend all day working as book editor reading books on my computer and by the time I'm ready for my pleasure reading, the very last thing I want to do is sit at my desk and read yet another book on my computer. It's one of the reasons why I bought a Sony Reader rather than a Kindle. The Kindle seemed to be too much like reading on my computer; the Sony seemed to be more like reading a paperback. My hands-on experience with both (a neighbor bought a Kindle) demonstrated that for me the Kindle is too much like my computer.

So it is less the PDF format than the necessity of reading on my computer that makes me shy away from this type of offer.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #13
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
these "free" books certainly aren't short on advertising, every page !
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
The problem is less the PDF format as that I absolutely refuse to read for pleasure on my computer, which is what would be required. I spend all day working as book editor reading books on my computer and by the time I'm ready for my pleasure reading, the very last thing I want to do is sit at my desk and read yet another book on my computer. It's one of the reasons why I bought a Sony Reader rather than a Kindle. The Kindle seemed to be too much like reading on my computer; the Sony seemed to be more like reading a paperback. My hands-on experience with both (a neighbor bought a Kindle) demonstrated that for me the Kindle is too much like my computer.

So it is less the PDF format than the necessity of reading on my computer that makes me shy away from this type of offer.
I was not suggesting that this is a substitute for an eBook which was also available but not free. I was asking if a free PDF could be used to decide if you wanted to buy the real eBook that you wanted to read. Your original comment was you had to have a free eBook in the correct format to evaluate the author. I was trying to understand why this would be true unless you just wanted eBooks for free with no intention of buying.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #15
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantedbypiggies View Post
So, I thought others would be interested in it.
Oh, definitely -- and I did not mean to imply otherwise. It's good that they're doing it, and good that you posted it.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote