Notices

View Poll Results: Pass or Fail on 2.8.1
Pass 84 75.68%
Fail 27 24.32%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Kobo Firmware 2.8.1: pass or fail? (poll)

So 2.8.1 is out. What do you think?

What Change do you think would make a big improvement over all to 2.8.1? How would you suggest they implement the Home screen? Tiles or Old School? Or choice of Home Screens?

What major advantage/disadvantage did you find in 2.8.1?

What would your ideal kobo interface be?

Have fun and be honest share your pros/cons and likes and dislikes.

regards

JAck

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-09-2013 at 03:47 AM. Reason: moved to frontpage
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I like it, I like the changes in the menus, but most off all I’m happy that I no longer have to press 2 or 3 times in the home button when I want to go to the home screen. Also like the possibility to insert the page number when navigating in a shelve, I know that some people don’t like this feature, and would like to navigate by author, but for me that is not essential, when I want to read something from a particular author I just do a search in the library by the name off the author, when I don’t know what to read I navigate the shelves searching for the next book.

I miss the details button that was available before, I now that if I make a long press it will show the details but I would like to have that button back, aside that I think I wouldn’t make changes, off course I’m a user that doesn’t require much but it would be nice to have the ability for each user to personalize the reader according to their wishes, but since that is not possible I’m quite happy with my glo, having said that I’m going to read now.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Seems pretty stable.
I can remove what I want from the front page.
formatting and text looks ok.

Would be nice one day for it to support SD cards properly tho, but I still give it a pass.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'm glad the epub top margin is gone now. I didn't like the new home screen at first, but have gotten used to it and like the last shelf tile. I still prefer the previous sleep screen with the banner across the top and the capitalized "Page x of y" at the bottom margin. Why is that "of" italicized?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For me, a Pass

So far the only issues I've found have been relatively minor. I don't use shelves so they haven't been an issue. I do make heavy use of the search bar and would like it to have an icon on the top bar which would save me a couple of taps.

Two utilities that I've found very useful are davidfor's KoboUtilities to control the home page tiles along with many other useful functions and metazoa's patch generator to allow using the advanced features on all fonts, reducing the range of the font size control but allowing finer control inside that range, changing the line spacing and slightly reducing the lower margin.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
I'm not at all happy that the top margin has gone. It makes the screen way too stuffed.

And every x pages next page jumps 3 pages. Incredible.
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #7
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
I'm not at all happy that the top margin has gone. It makes the screen way too stuffed.
*sigh* You can please 100% of the people 0% of the time.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
I am very happy the top-margin is gone. So for this reason, I give it a PASS

Easier use of side-loaded fonts.
Better reactivity.

But many bugs are still here (loooong paragraph is a shame). Some very awkward decisions (to change page with the library), some very ugly and hardly readable tiles...

Still some work to do...
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
OldDarth
OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch / Kindle Fire HD 7
Though I used 2.6.1 for only a few days, once I upgraded, had to do it manually, 2.8.1 noticeably improved the speed of boot up time. Maybe because my Kobo Touch is 905C model, I've had no issues with ghosting so far.

While I like the number of pages done by chapter, I also wish that the number of pages by book was displayed as well right after the chapter summary. It may be that said wish should not be directed towards firmware upgrades but towards Calibre/Kepubs...

So with my limited exposure to 2.6.1 I give 2.8.1 a thumbs up but will decline from voting because of lack of use of the previous firmware.
OldDarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
The Firmware is getting better and long standing bugs are ironed out and it's overall snappier then 2.5.2, and with Metazoas patch it's almost where I want it to be screen-estate wise.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I didn't notice any difference on my Mini. I didn't like it on my Glo, so I went back to 2.6.1. So for me it was a fail. It had a lot of bugs. When I can't open and read a book I've been reading, it's a fail.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
I voted "pass", but would rather have given it 7/10. Although great improvements have been made, kobo does not live up to it's blurb about being able to load up to 30,000 books on the microSD card. While I suppose that this is technically possible, it would slow down the device to the point of making it, to all purposes, useless. Also there is an issue with regards to covers.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Why on earth are people glad the "top margin" is gone? I never knew it was a problem. Now the text of Gutenburg books & the like starts *right* underneath the bezel. That makes the screen look stuffed and cheap, it makes for unpleasant reading. In less than optimal light conditions (darkish, yet not quite dark enough to turn on the backlight) if the light doesn't fall on the device directly, the top line of text will be in the shade of the bezel. That's just ridiculous.

And if it's true, as adbosch says, that it's still "every x pages next page jumps 3 pages", they haven't fixed one of the most annoying bugs. (In fact, if it's *really* 3 pages now, they've even made it worse.)
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
Why on earth are people glad the "top margin" is gone? I never knew it was a problem. Now the text of Gutenburg books & the like starts *right* underneath the bezel. That makes the screen look stuffed and cheap, it makes for unpleasant reading. In less than optimal light conditions (darkish, yet not quite dark enough to turn on the backlight) if the light doesn't fall on the device directly, the top line of text will be in the shade of the bezel. That's just ridiculous.
Do you use Calibre to transfer epubs to your Kobos? If so, there is a fairly easy way to add your preferred top margin to all your epubs. It would need you to resend all your epubs to the Kobo but you wouldn't need to manually edit each epub to add the top margin.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
because that issue can be easily fixed with calibre or sigil, whereas having too big a border couldn't.

not that i cared all that much one way or the other. but would prefer a choice to adjust top/bottom margins from zero to whatever like the side margins.

but the people who complained about not liking it the other way were at least right that your complaint can be fixed easily when theirs couldn't.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote