Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Exclamation Now What?! 2x Defective Paperwhites, Now Defective Fire HD 7"

I don't even.

Hoping for a good solution to reading in the dark, I bought and subsequently exchanged a defective Paperwhite, and then got a defective replacement. Both went back for refunds, and I decided to get a Fire HD 7" instead.

My Fire HD arrived today. After buying a few apps and putting a few books on it I noticed distracting light bleeds from two corners and a little bit on an edge. The worst one is about 1.25 inches by .5 inches, and was bad enough to casually notice on the home screen, not by examining it with a perfectionist's eye. I'd hoped to read on a black screen with white text.

1) Is this just normal-ish, and I'm just being picky, or does this sound significant to anyone else?

2) What actions would lead me to the best result? Am I even on the right track, substituting the Fire HD for a reader? I'm afraid that if I exchange this for another one, I'll end up with one returned by someone else.

3) Would a hard reset be advised?

I'm an Amazon disciple and don't want to switch brands and give up my library of ebooks, or the variety of books offered there. Can someone please guide me to the best way to handle this?

Last edited by Michele; 11-03-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
I'm an Amazon disciple and don't want to switch brands and give up my library of ebooks, or the variety of books offered there.
You don't have to do either if you're willing to learn to strip DRM, which is trivially easy once set up. But if you're not willing... I suppose you could get a different tablet that runs the Kindle app? Can't advise you there, sorry, as I can't stand reading text on tablets for more than a couple or three pages.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I'm sorry you're having such bad luck.

I don't think you're being picky. It shouldn't have light bleeds like you're describing. I wouldn't worry about receiving a returned unit if you're within 30 days of receiving it.

I also wouldn't compare it to receiving 2 defective PW's either. I think the issues with the PW are something of an anomaly. I haven't really heard anything about this sort of defect on the Fire HD, most people seem very happy with them. You may have just had bad luck, unfortunately.

As far as using a Fire for a reader. I think it's just personal preference and how you like reading on it. If it bothers your eyes etc. Some people will only use e-ink for reading and then others are totally fine reading on the Fire and even prefer it. It's really just personal preference.

Good luck with your decision. I hope you're able to get a unit that you're happy with.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
You should buy your Kindle Fire HD from Best Buy if you can. It's easier to exchange and you know you are getting a new one.

What you are describing on the KF is not normal. The original KF has some bleeding issues with grey screens. (You can see through the screen to what's underneath) Not light bleeds though. My first KF died on a bad firmware update or corrupted app. I will never know. The second KF they sent me was dirty! It was full of fingerprints and I originally thought some of the chrome had been pulled away but it was caked on dirt. I took a damp cloth to it and cleaned it up and it looked like new. It turns out to be more responsive than my first and I decided I could live with it.

Now I know why it had been sent back. There is a dead pixel on it but I would of never noticed it had I not looked for it with a book light in the dark one night a month ago. Still I love my KFv1 but I've learned replacements from Amazon can be a real gamble.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the input, and apologies for the dramatic cry for help. I'm just frustrated.

I do most of my ebook reading on a Kindle Keyboard, and was an early-adopter of e-ink technology, so I'm convinced about the goodness of e-ink. However, I am looking for an option better than my reader+booklight for reading in bed at night, and so began this disappointing journey, first researching the iPad Mini, then through Amazon's various devices.

I've seen many posts about the light leakage issue on Fires upon searching, but am aware that I could get a replacement with much worse problems.

I'm waiting to receive a lighted bookcover for my Kindle Keyboard, and if that works out well for reading in the dark, then at least I have an excuse for returning the Fire HD. I should also give the Kindle app on my iPad2 a chance, as it may be a contender. I'll just hold off loading more books and apps until I can compare the three options.
Advert
Old 11-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Thanks for the input, and apologies for the dramatic cry for help. I'm just frustrated.

I do most of my ebook reading on a Kindle Keyboard, and was an early-adopter of e-ink technology, so I'm convinced about the goodness of e-ink. However, I am looking for an option better than my reader+booklight for reading in bed at night, and so began this disappointing journey, first researching the iPad Mini, then through Amazon's various devices.

I've seen many posts about the light leakage issue on Fires upon searching, but am aware that I could get a replacement with much worse problems.

I'm waiting to receive a lighted bookcover for my Kindle Keyboard, and if that works out well for reading in the dark, then at least I have an excuse for returning the Fire HD. I should also give the Kindle app on my iPad2 a chance, as it may be a contender. I'll just hold off loading more books and apps until I can compare the three options.
I love my KF for reading at night but make sure to get the Screen Dim app it will make it so much easier to read at night.

I own the lighted cover for the K3. It's really nice but not sleeping partner friendly. So far the Kindle Fire has been the only solution for me but I must use it with Screen Dim or he complains it's too bright.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

Oh I see, I wasn't aware there has been a lot of posts about the light issue. Hopefully when the lighted cover comes it will make the decision a little easier for you one way or the other.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hmmm, with luck like that, you should buy a lotto ticket!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
What is a "light bleed?"

Quote:
My Fire HD arrived today. After buying a few apps and putting a few books on it I noticed distracting light bleeds from two corners and a little bit on an edge. The worst one is about 1.25 inches by .5 inches, and was bad enough to casually notice on the home screen, not by examining it with a perfectionist's eye. I'd hoped to read on a black screen with white text.
What is a light bleed, anyway? Is it a solid white line on a black screen?

If that is what it is, then definitely return it for a refund and order a new PW or KFHD7.

Don't ever request a replacement. It is too likely to be a reconditioned unit.

I'd be interested to see a photo of it posted here.

Before you return it you may want to do: swipe down from top \ more \ device \ reset to factory defaults. Its possible that may correct the problem.

If its still there, you may want to go through the same routine and end with \ more \ sounds and display \ and turn on autobrightness.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-03-2012 at 09:55 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
Michele
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
What is a light bleed, anyway? Is it a solid white line on a black screen?
It's as if the backlighting is leaking from behind the black background and spilling onto the black page -- bright at its source in the corner and extending outward until the light fades to black.

I'm using the auto-brightness setting, and have not tried a hard reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hmmm, with luck like that, you should buy a lotto ticket!
Luck, or misplaced loyalty. :/

Last edited by Michele; 11-03-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Physical defect

Quote:
It's as if the backlighting is leaking from behind the black background and spilling onto the black page -- bright at its source in the corner and extending outward until the light fades to black.

I'm using the auto-brightness setting, and have not tried a hard reset.
That sounds like a physical defect. Probably it was damaged in shipping.

Try the hard reset and then go to your Order page at Amazon indicating its defective and request a full refund including shipping to and from Amazon.

Then buy a new PW or KFHD7. Most of the new ones are in good condition. Its only the CS handled replacements that don't seem to be so good.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
Michele
Addict

I just did the hard reset, no luck. I've read that this issue gets worse over time. If the Fire HD turns out to be my best option, it may be tolerable at this point, but something I'd keep an eye on while under warranty.