Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Red face HELP!!! Author, Series, Series #, Books

Hi How do you change the preferences in Add/Save->Sending to Device wherein the folders and subfolders will be like this:

Author Folder--->Series of the Book name subfolder--->the Book titles in order of the book series number irregardless of alphabetical order of the books title.

so the output will be, for example:

Richelle Mead
  • -Vampire Academy Series
  1. - Vampire Academy
  2. - Frostbite
  3. - Shadow Kiss
  4. - Blood Promise
  • -Georgina Kincaid Series
  1. -Succubus Blues
  2. -Succubus on Top

How do you put the format? For now I got the default {author_sort}/{title} - {authors}

Sorry don't have the know how for this kind of things. Please

TIA!

Last edited by diokdin; 04-14-2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: add to title
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
{series}/{series_index:0>2s}-{title}/{title}

Note the :0>2s allows the correct sort for series with 10 to 99 books
The last {title} exists for multiple formats of the same
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Sounds like you want something like:
{authors}/{series}/{series_index} - {title}
It only takes moments to try different setting until you get what you want.

You do not have to worry about the format part. That will be added automatically. Calibre will send the highest priority format from the list that is specified as acceptable to the device.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
diokdin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
{series}/{series_index:0>2s}-{title}/{title}

Note the :0>2s allows the correct sort for series with 10 to 99 books
The last {title} exists for multiple formats of the same
Thanks I get the series and series index. But the author for the series is gone so I tried this:

{author}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s}-{title}/{title}

And it works!

Though I would love for the book title series # to sort directly without the added subfolder. Can we do that? Ex: Series name--> The Book Itself (but already sorted 01, 02 etc without the added subfolder of 01. Book Title subfolder)

Right Now it's like this: Author->Series Name->01. Book Title Subfolder-> 01. The Book Itself.

I want it to be this: Author-> Series Name->01. The Book Itself

You know what I mean?

I tried: {author}/{series}-{title}/{title}
Don't really work. There will be a lot of the same Book series Name.

Anyway, Just wondering if it's possible if not I guess this will do. Thanks so much! Really big help.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
diokdin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Sounds like you want something like:
{authors}/{series}/{series_index} - {title}
It only takes moments to try different setting until you get what you want.

You do not have to worry about the format part. That will be added automatically. Calibre will send the highest priority format from the list that is specified as acceptable to the device.
Ohh, thanks I was composing my reply to theducks and tweaking the code so I didn't see your reply right away.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

Oh, would you know how to make it without the subfolder book title?

Like for now it's like this: Author->Series Name->01. Book Title Subfolder-> 01. The Book Itself.

I want to get rid of the added subfolder, so it will look like this: Author-> Series Name->01. The Book Itself

If that's possible....If not, thanks anyway. Really big help.
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diokdin View Post
Thanks I get the series and series index. But the author for the series is gone so I tried this:

{author}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s}-{title}/{title}

And it works!

Though I would love for the book title series # to sort directly without the added subfolder. Can we do that? Ex: Series name--> The Book Itself (but already sorted 01, 02 etc without the added subfolder of 01. Book Title subfolder)

Right Now it's like this: Author->Series Name->01. Book Title Subfolder-> 01. The Book Itself.

I want it to be this: Author-> Series Name->01. The Book Itself

You know what I mean?

I tried: {author}/{series}-{title}/{title}
Don't really work. There will be a lot of the same Book series Name.

Anyway, Just wondering if it's possible if not I guess this will do. Thanks so much! Really big help.
Just stick {authors}/ or {author_sort}/ in the front of my previous sort string.

BUT I strongly submit you do not want to do it that way

Books with Various Author combinations break your series up by those combinations. (some Baen series (anthologies excluded) have 4 or more combinations of authors)

I hang the Author onto the last Title .../{title}-{author} so I know which authors were guilty for this book
I file non-series books by Author in a subfolder "00NoSeries" which is a dummy series in the series list
Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
diokdin
Groupie

Quote:
Just stick {authors}/ or {author_sort}/ in the front of my previous sort string.

BUT I strongly submit you do not want to do it that way

Books with Various Author combinations break your series up by those combinations. (some Baen series (anthologies excluded) have 4 or more combinations of authors)

I hang the Author onto the last Title .../{title}-{author} so I know which authors were guilty for this book
I file non-series books by Author in a subfolder "00NoSeries" which is a dummy series in the series list
Okay, thanks so much theducks! Great Help!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by diokdin View Post
{authors}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s}-{title}/{title}

And it works!
If this works just remove the / or add the / wherever you want a folder removed or created. Mix and match as you see fit. here are some examples and the results of one of my books. The / means what precedes it is a folder.

{author_sort}/{series}-{series_index:0>2s}-{title}

Butcher, Jim/Dresden Files-01-Storm Front.ePub

or

{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s}-{title}

Butcher, Jim/Dresden Files/01-Storm Front.ePub

or

{authors}/{series}-{series_index:0>2s}-{title}

Jim Butcher/Dresden Files-01-Storm Front.ePub

Just experiment you'll get what you want soon enough.

Good Luck!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
diokdin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
If this works just remove the / or add the / wherever you want a folder removed or created. Mix and match as you see fit. here are some examples and the results of one of my books. The / means what precedes it is a folder.

{author_sort}/{series}-{series_index:0>2s}-{title}

Butcher, Jim/Dresden Files-01-Storm Front.ePub

or

{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s}-{title}

Butcher, Jim/Dresden Files/01-Storm Front.ePub

or

{authors}/{series}-{series_index:0>2s}-{title}

Jim Butcher/Dresden Files-01-Storm Front.ePub

Just experiment you'll get what you want soon enough.

Good Luck!
Thanks for this, I'll try experimenting.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
AutumnDreamer
Enthusiast
AutumnDreamer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 2
Did you ever figure out what you wanted to do with this? On my Kindle I'd like my books to show up with the series (but without putting that info IN the title itself) and am trying to figure out how to do that. Every time I try something it doesn't quite work. The closest I've come ends up making the author name go next to everything else instead of all the way to the right like the default.

To be precise, I want Title, Series Name, Series Number and then Author name. Appreciate any help on this!

Last edited by AutumnDreamer; 04-24-2010 at 01:30 PM.
AutumnDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnDreamer View Post
Did you ever figure out what you wanted to do with this? On my Kindle I'd like my books to show up with the series (but without putting that info IN the title itself) and am trying to figure out how to do that. Every time I try something it doesn't quite work. The closest I've come ends up making the author name go next to everything else instead of all the way to the right like the default.

To be precise, I want Title, Series Name, Series Number and then Author name. Appreciate any help on this!
{title}_{series}_{series_index}_{authors}

(that is one long file name )

you can replace any of the underscores outside of the braces with any separator you wish . The underscore within series_index is part of the name .
Your series will probably not SORT on your device since you have Title first
Old 04-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
AutumnDreamer
Enthusiast

Thanks! I will try and play around with that to see what I get! I'm to to Calibre and my Kindle.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnDreamer View Post
{title}_{series}_{series_index}_{authors}

(that is one long file name )
This will certainly produce the desired file name, but doesn't the Kindle create Titles from metadata?

Since I don't have a Kindle I'm guessing that it uses metadata for the title, maybe there is an option to display file names instead?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:10 AM   #14
AutumnDreamer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This will certainly produce the desired file name, but doesn't the Kindle create Titles from metadata?

Since I don't have a Kindle I'm guessing that it uses metadata for the title, maybe there is an option to display file names instead?
Yes, the Kindle can get info from metadata. I think I'm just going to edit the titles of the book to include the series name and number.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #15
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Any way I can get calibre to re-save its files in the format I specify?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote