Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-16-2006, 01:47 AM   #1
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
The Strangest thing happened...

i was so excited this afternoon.....the ups guy handed me the box .

All good until this evening when i decided to update the firmware (it had 2.4 on it)

I set up a wireless profile and started the installation. All good until the second download. It started ...went to 4% then stopped. My heart almost stopped

Waited for a few mins....nothing
I was already looking for their hotline on mobileread when i decided to give it a go and try to reset it.
I pressed the menu button...nothing. Then i pressed the Connect button when all of a sudden it went into the menu. But it wasnt over yet. I read somewhere that it first downloads the update and it installs it the next time you restart the device. I turned off the device, then back on....the booting screen appeared and after a few secs the menu.... Phew...

But i still wanted to update to 2.6. So i decided to go wired.
Everything went by the book.

The lesson here: ALWAYS update the firmaware using a WIRED connection
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
You forgot to update your "handheld" you lucky guy... eh!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2006, 09:19 AM   #3
DrBibber
Iliad geek
DrBibber began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
This is interesting. I updated my iLiad (2.4) via wireless lan in by favourite café (they have wlan for free :-)) Everything went fine: 1st download the system update, then installing, no problems; pressed the connect button again and it downloaded the v. 2.6 reference material. That was it. 2.6 is a real improvement.
DrBibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:51 AM   #4
stinky ox
Connoisseur
stinky ox began at the beginning.

Device: samsung q1, iLiad
I have found the updating to be a bit flaky, even over wired. I did eventually get my 2.6, but only after a large number of iterations of connect/get to n%/freeze/error out/etc...
stinky ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky ox
I have found the updating to be a bit flaky, even over wired. I did eventually get my 2.6, but only after a large number of iterations of connect/get to n%/freeze/error out/etc...

The reason why I was so worried that is froze during the download was because i read in their manual that it can brick my dedvice.

I guess the only way to brick it is to intrerrupt the actual installation (after you restart the iLiad)
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2006, 03:07 PM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I believe the software won't upgrade the unit if the downloaded file is damaged, i.e. if gunzip failes unpacking the ext2 image.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote