Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
NigelS
Enthusiast
NigelS doesn't litterNigelS doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
K3 New User - Read Kindle book on Sony?

Hi there

Just bought a new K3 (Intl) from Amazon UK (Serial Number starts B008) with firmware 3.0.2.

I bought a book on the Kindle store (AKW file) and would like to be able to unDRM it so I can convert it to Epub format and read it on my Sony PRS300.

Can some kind person point me in the right direction, as I'm confused by all the discussion I am reading online, relating to older scripts and K1/K2.

Thanks

PS I have Python installed; and running eBook Utility. Modded kindleid.py to detect B008 serial numbers; it calculated a PID but doesn't remove the DRM, just giving an error message: "Error: no key found. maybe the PID is incorrect".

Last edited by NigelS; 11-12-2010 at 03:53 PM. Reason: added info
NigelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Unfortunately, the script you are using will not work at all, because of changes to the Kindle firmware which basically blocks the method used.

There is, however, a different method that will, provided you can obtain copies of your books via a compatible computing platform's reading software.

We can't link to or discuss in detail the usage of any DRM-circumvention tools, for the protection of the MR site, just in case someone decides to send lawyers over. Google remains your friend, especially if you modify the search terms.

Last edited by ATDrake; 11-12-2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Typos, what else?
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Use the term "Apprentice Alf" as your Google search term. Are you trying to read the book on both your K3 and Sony?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelS View Post
Hi there

Just bought a new K3 (Intl) from Amazon UK (Serial Number starts B008) with firmware 3.0.2.

I bought a book on the Kindle store (AKW file) and would like to be able to unDRM it so I can convert it to Epub format and read it on my Sony PRS300.

Can some kind person point me in the right direction, as I'm confused by all the discussion I am reading online, relating to older scripts and K1/K2.

Thanks

PS I have Python installed; and running eBook Utility. Modded kindleid.py to detect B008 serial numbers; it calculated a PID but doesn't remove the DRM, just giving an error message: "Error: no key found. maybe the PID is incorrect".

Just be aware that stripping out DRM does have LEGALITY issues
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
NigelS
Enthusiast
NigelS doesn't litterNigelS doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Thanks all,

Just for the record, I am not interested in getting illegally pirated books, I only wish to free up my own purchased titles from DRM in order to make it easier for me to use the book however I may want/need to do in the future; ie use the book on a different platform if the Amazon/Kindle route goes belly up.

As far as the Sony goes, I wanted to put a copy of the book on my mum's Sony PRS300 so she can read it. (Afterall, if I had bought a paperback copy of the book this would have been easy to achieve).

NigelS
NigelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert