Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-19-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Fujitsu first to give us e-paper in color?

Well, that some bright scientists from Fujitsu are working on their own electronic paper isn't exactly a secret being kept under lock and key (see related links below). But it's always enough reason to put on a happy face when a new e-paper prototype makes some kind of public appearance. CNet reports that Fujitsu showcased colored electronic paper last week at the Fujitsu North American Technology Forum 2007:

Quote:
For the first time, researchers released a hand-built prototype outside the Japanese labs where it's been incubating since 2004.

Similar in form factor to an e-book reader, the Fujitsu version displays color--not mind-blowing color, but still more visually appealing than standard black and white--and is aiming for more commercial applications. Fujitsu's version is "green" and also appeals to the wallet: there is no power required to show an image. That means the technology can eventually be used for signage without having to replace batteries.
Just what we'd expect from e-paper, Fujitsu's prototype is flexible and maintains an image without power supply. The last prototype we heard of was an e-book reader with a 7.8" VGA passiv-matrix, reflective type cholesteric liquid crystal display, capable of displaying 4096 colors.

Related: Fujitsu e-paper Wiki entry, Fujitsu - prototype Color e-book reader, Fujitsu's color e-paper is still too slow, Fujitsu pushes color e-paper technology
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Now for most books that I read this isn't much of an improvement, it may even be a step back in total b+w resolution. However, for magna and other graphic stuff this could be major. I fear what the initial price tag will be.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
It looks like the contrast is worse than that of the Iliad...so maybe booklovers won't be adopting this technology anytime soon...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm glad to see ChLCD and e-ink side-by-side. I do hope they can manage to (drastically) improve the contrast for the ChLCD -- from that pic it doesn't presently look like anything that would have made me move off my Pilot, let alone move away from e-ink.

Not to imply that I want to move away from e-ink, you understand.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I don't, personally, miss color, though if I were going to use a reader for all my magazine subscriptions (e.g. Make, Art Jewelry, etc.) I might change my mind. So far, when I care about color, I care enough about image quality that none of the electronic solutions is adequate.

But imagine this with a wacom tablet (that actually has calibration and pressure sensitivity enabled) and decent paint software....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I like e-ink myself, and don't really miss color very much.

While I love to see all kinds of new technologies for e-books, I expect most of the color competition to come from UMPC-like devices with great resolution and battery life, once they can achieve a form factor more like the Sony Reader. And as prices fall, people might actually even buy such devices solely for the purpose of reading!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's just crazy talk.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:37 AM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
As an art oriented individual, I agree totally with Neko.
The dream for an A4 colo(u)r touch sensitive eink device is what keeps me searching since the first Mac in 84. It would fulfil all my ewishes. Where's that efairy!

Oh! No one said anything about digitizing those beautiful coffee table books. It's because nothing exists to display them. Colo(u)r is truly necessary for that. And if it's eink, it could be displayed at a specific page indefinitely!

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 03-20-2007 at 08:42 AM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A device like that could not only kickstart the reader market just because it's color... Color (and good size and resolution) also makes it a good alternative to big, heavy, expensive textbooks. Given the overall cost and the weight burden of years and years of textbooks, not to mention the ability to retain old texts in memory instead of throwing them away, I could see school systems nationwide trying to get these into their kids' hands.

(The kids will figure out how to 'port comics into it not long afterward.)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #10
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well I'd be surprised if Fujitsu will be the first... their financials released today are anything but pretty:

Quote:
(Billion yen)
Previous Forecast* (A) 2,950.0 (net sales) 55.0 (net income)
Revised Forecast (B) 2,950.0 (net sales) -275.0 (net income)

With respect to net income, although the company will record a gain on the sale of marketable securities, as a result of losses including a loss on devaluation of overseas subsidiaries' and affiliates' stock, the company has revised its full-year forecast downward significantly.
http://www.fujitsu.com/global/news/p...070320-01.html
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:00 AM   #11
stxopher
Nameless Being

Who knows? That might be WHY they are the first. Seems that the bigger the company the less innovative they become unless they have to be. And nothing prods new ideas in a developing market like a bad financial standing.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:55 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Found this accompanying video on YouTube:

http://youtube.com/?v=5xwwKK4cAHk
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none

I'm curious: Does Fujitsu make all of its employes learn that company song, or just the ones who can't play a trumpet?

(Now, if I ever create a full-video ad for the SJB, I know the standards to which I must meet or exceed...)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:24 AM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Lots of useless work if you care of what I think!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:14 PM   #15
stxopher
Nameless Being

Some cultures are so wacky when it comes to corporations. What a waste of energy and time.

Now if you will excuse me, I have a weekly section meeting to go to so that we can find out what our current mission focus needs to be right now and make sure that all of our departmental synergies are aligned before breaking into afternoon meetings to discuss lack of productivity. And I have to hurry since we need to provide daily progress reports on project status conditions for all related divisions. Gooooooo, TEAM!