Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
Dorney
Dorney began at the beginning.

Device: treo
Help deciding which reader needed, thanks!

I love to read, and love electronic toys. What I don't love to do is buy books (at the rate of one plus a day, they get expensive). I have a wonderful public library that I use fully. They have access to the overdrive and Adobe PDF eBook systems. I have used the Adobe PDF eBooks to download books to my laptop, but would love a tool that will let me take the files with me (the idea of not packing 6 or more books for a plane flight is making me almost giddy!).

Will any of the readers available let me access these library books?

THANKS SO MUCH!
Dorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Welcome!

First of all, what can you not live without in a reading device? Backlight? E-Ink? PDF? Wifi? Budget? Answering any one of these will make your decision process smoother. Click the wiki up top to learn about devices.

As far as content: There are thousands of free books here under the option in the blue bar up top. Plenty more to be bought online, depending upon your device.

Happy Reading!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Latest update for Sony Reader PRS-505 allows it to read secure PDFs often offered by libraries. If you can read it in Adobe Digital Editions 1.5, you should be able to read it on the Reader.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
And the CyBook Gen3 can read Overdrive books in Mobi format. Has been able to for the last 7 months, unlike this Johnny-come-lately Sony thing .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
Dorney
Dorney began at the beginning.

Device: treo
What can I not live without? I read paper books now, so a backlight isn't a deal breaker (but not a bad idea). E-ink, I'm not sure, what would it get me - faster page refresh? PDF - only if I need it to read the library ebooks. Wi-Fi, might be interesting, but not necessary, I have other toys for that. Budget, pretty flexible.

I have accessed many of the free books, but I like the availability of current releases from the library also.

Thanks for your help.
Dorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorney View Post
E-ink, I'm not sure, what would it get me - faster page refresh?
Actually page refresh is slightly slower with e-ink.

It gets you the ability to read in sunlight, and very good-looking text that many of us find is less tiring on the eyes for long reading sessions than LCD screens.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Latest update for Sony Reader PRS-505 allows it to read secure PDFs often offered by libraries. If you can read it in Adobe Digital Editions 1.5, you should be able to read it on the Reader.
Some libraries apparently block the use of the PRS-505 for Adobe library ebooks (others do not), also each original page of the ebook is reflowed into several screens and the last screen per page may be a partial screens worth. Some people find this annoying. See Trying out ADE file ebook from my local library ....
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And the CyBook Gen3 can read Overdrive books in Mobi format. Has been able to for the last 7 months, unlike this Johnny-come-lately Sony thing .
I've heard people say that Kindle will as well if you use igorsk's scripts. I haven't tried it myself yet. Sadly the Mobi selection in my local library's Overdrive service is rather small. The majority of the books are PDF and they seem to be adding more PDF than Mobi.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:58 AM   #9
Professor
Enthusiast
Professor began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Hanlin V3 is very powerful in format/language supporting, and it has the highest
performance-price ratio. I have compared the devices of each model, V3 is my final choice! I'm going to order one.
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:24 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
While eink does not have a backlight, Sony does sell a really nice front light.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26776
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote