Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
tilleydog
tilleydog is on a distinguished road

Device: Android phone
Displaying ISBN column in the main GUI

I know that the ISBN field is standard in the sqllite database but for some reason I can't get it to display in the Main GUI with the other standard columns. I tried to add it as a custom field but it adds it as a totally new blank column even thought the icon for the ISBN column shows up. Is there any way to add the ISBN field to the main GUI.
tilleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, there isn't.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
A workaround might be to make a custom column for the ISBN then copy and paste it from the ISBN field of the first page of the edit menu into the custom column field. Granted, it would be tedious.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
A workaround might be to make a custom column for the ISBN then copy and paste it from the ISBN field of the first page of the edit menu into the custom column field. Granted, it would be tedious.
I suspect you could use SQLiteSpy to do this with SQL commands in the metadata.db file.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the question is why do you want the isbn ina a column. Its pointless sorting it and looking at isbn numbers doesn't give you any useful information either.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:12 AM   #6
tilleydog

re: Displaying ISBN column in the main GUI

The main reason is that you can edit at the Main Gui page instead of opening each book entry up to add the ISBN. Currently I have a couple of thousand PDF files imported for which I have the ISBN numbers in an excel spreadsheet. I can sort the files in Calibre by their series type and would be able to add the isbn much quicker than opening each record. Its still time consuming but it goes faster than opening each record. I tried to update the metadata.db using sql queries but calibre wouldn't read it afterwords. It was a good thing I made a copy before starting.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:58 AM   #7
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilleydog View Post
The main reason is that you can edit at the Main Gui page instead of opening each book entry up to add the ISBN. Currently I have a couple of thousand PDF files imported for which I have the ISBN numbers in an excel spreadsheet. I can sort the files in Calibre by their series type and would be able to add the isbn much quicker than opening each record. Its still time consuming but it goes faster than opening each record. I tried to update the metadata.db using sql queries but calibre wouldn't read it afterwords. It was a good thing I made a copy before starting.
Let me guess; you scanned all your books to PDF. I'm doing the same thing and I'm having to put my ISBN in manually as I put each book into Calibre. Since I'm in the process of scanning my books and put each one into calibre as I complete the scanning process, it doesn't seem like such a chore since, after downloading the metadata, I usually have to do a few tweaks while I'm in the edit window anyway.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah that sucks, however, adding a column for this sort of one time use is too much work, in my opinion.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
When I perform big, bulk add's, I then select the "new" group in the the GUI,
Right click the grouping and select "Edit Meta-Data Individually"
That presents the Edit window for each book in the list, sequentially.
Fill in the datas and click OK

The next title appears.. Repeat until done
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
yeah that sucks, however, adding a column for this sort of one time use is too much work, in my opinion.
In my case, I don't need a column displaying the ISBN. Considering all calibre can do, I don't mind copying and pasting the ISBN into the metadata window since I have to edit the downloaded metadata anyway (whoever compiles it at ISBNdb seems to have a sporadic aversion to uppercase letters, sorta like a certain developer I know of ).
Old 09-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
tilleydog

I got it to work using the sql lite solution. I dumped my books table to CSV. Sorted it appropriately then cut and pasted from the other spreadsheet. Then deleted my old books table, imported the new one, (making sure to make the fields were properly defined) and started up calibre.

Saved my self a couple of hours possibly days.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
I got it to work using the sql lite solution. I dumped my books table to CSV. Sorted it appropriately then cut and pasted from the other spreadsheet. Then deleted my old books table, imported the new one, (making sure to make the fields were properly defined) and started up calibre.

Saved my self a couple of hours possibly days.
Great. Did the triggers cause you any trouble?
Old 09-18-2010, 01:22 AM   #13
tilleydog

I'm not sure.

Everything seemed to work. But I ran into problem later on when trying to add new books to the database. IT would fail to add the book but upon restarting calibre, would say the database was corrupted and prompt me to create a new one. I then went into sqllite browser and go to the last record which would be a partial entry of the new book. Removed that and everything would start up again but can still not add new books to database.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:33 AM   #14
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Sounds like there must be some other non-obvious problem with the database?

A solution that might work is to first tell Calibre to create a new empty library at a new location, and then use the Calibre facility to copy books to this library from the existing library. As long as this is all done using Calibre itself, hopefully the new library will be self-consistent.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #15
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Sounds like there must be some other non-obvious problem with the database?
It seems likely. It's very tricky to directly access Calibre's database using SQL tools. There are multiple triggers that actuate when Calibre accesses some fields. They function to keep the whole Calibre structure (internally to the db and and externally in the folders) consistent when fields are changed. For certain types of changes, you have to know what Calibre does, disable triggers, do it all manually and then reenable. Using Calibre's own tools is much easier, but then you have to learn those tools and enough Python to run them.