Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
Spotnik
Spotnik began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Russian News After Calibre Conversion

All,

After following this very useful thread:

http://www.nookboards.com/forum/index.php?topic=1304.0

I managed to get Calibre embed the fonts I needed to read some Russian Language news feeds on my nook. At least at first--when I went back to do it a second time, the converted files gave me a message "Sorry, cannot open book" or some such. The UN-converted files would at least open and display the "?????" in place of the text. I tried this on two different feeds (RIA, Argumenty i Fakty) and got the same result.

Incidentally, the RIA file I downloaded on Saturday read just fine on the nook, yesterday's files in both cases would not load.

They can be viewed on the desktop and read just fine (both before and after file conversion.

I opened the bad files in Sigil and could not detect any difference between then and the good files--the fonts were in the right folders, the stylesheets were identical.

Obviously the nook does not see them as identical files. Was yesterday just a bad feed day?

Two steps forward, one step back!

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.
Spotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Spotnik
Spotnik began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Okay--figured it out. Evidently after you set these particular conversion preferences, the incoming feeds get converted automatically--at least, mine are now! I didn't didn't know this, so I ended up converting files that didn't need it (i.e. screwing them up.)

I took a quick look through the Calibre docs but couldn't find where this would have been explained. Sorry if I missed something obvious.
Spotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert