Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 05:00 AM   #46
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
I guess I did word that rather awkwardly, didn't I. I meant ... and see if the zenpad ships?
PayPal got my money back for me so it's just out of curiosity. Engadget never got the review unit promised, just a copy of an invoice they didn't verify with SMiT. So will I believe it if they claim to be shipping (again)? Not until someone like Katelyn reports having one in their hands.

I hope that happens. Good luck!
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #47
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, Asus TF300T
I finally went ahead and filed a paypal complaint. Was hoping it would come through they would make good on it, after all, their story sounded...plausible, even if improbable.

For $14 more the Android 7 8GB Home Tablet is more exciting for me anyway, and is actually shipping in 1 week to pre-orders at Amazon.
jalandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #48
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Jetbook Lite, Slick Er-701
Possible tablet.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.39169

Looks like it might be worth a look. From the number of posts I am pretty sure it at least exists and the price is nice.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #49
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.39169

Looks like it might be worth a look. From the number of posts I am pretty sure it at least exists and the price is nice.
I have one and it's sitting in a drawer.

1) My USB port is finicky- I had to try 4 cables to find one that didn't fall out

2) The charging port is finicky. I have to keep checking to be sure it's actually charging. If not, I have to rotate the plug a little and it will start charging again

(I did read one other post from someone with problems 1 and 2 on his device as well. Don't know if it's a general problem with these devices or if it's the luck of the draw)

3) You can't charge the device using the USB port

4) The biggest issue I have (now that the programs aren't all upside down with the firmware update) is that the quality of the text in Aldiko (my preferred reading program) is horrible. I just don't think a 7" device with screen resolution of 800 x 480 is going to cut it

These are my own opinions and I know there are others who have the device and think it's just great for the price. Mine is for sale - if anyone is interested PM me. I'll let it go very cheap. Otherwise, it's going to gather dust.

BTW - My zenpad (yes, I'm still holding out for one ) is supposed to ship tomorrow or so they say. I do think it will get shipped soon and they are now including all sorts of accessories to make up for the stupid delay and poor roll out of the device. I look forward to try reading on a 5" device - hopefully this will be the one (backlit device) for me. I'm waiting for the Pocketbook 302 with matte screen then that will be my primary reader.

Last edited by Katelyn; 05-17-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:03 PM   #50
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

It appears to be unofficially official that the zenpad is indeed a fraud. I've asked Paypal for a refund and others should do the same.

I contacted Sean Hollister at Engadget yesterday and today he posted part of the email I received from Enso on May 12th. Since that time, Enso hasn't replied to any of my emails and now their Website is down - either due to heavy traffic or they are hightailing it out of Dodge.

My mission was to let as many Websites as possible know about the fraud but seems Engadget is doing the work for me. You know what they say, Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

Do I regret letting my order stand and waiting to see what happened? Naw, life is too short for that. Besides, I suspect Mr. Alberto Armandi will get his comeuppance along the way.
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 10:22 PM   #51
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
It appears to be unofficially official that the zenpad is indeed a fraud. I've asked Paypal for a refund and others should do the same.
It's a shame it didn't somehow turn out okay in the end. I hope you get your money back.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #52
tgeek
tgeek began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia n800, Jetbook
It appears that Engadget FINALLY received the Zenpad for review. To say they were a bit harsh would be putting it too lightly. I hope you get your money back. My fingers are still crossed for the Notion Ink Adam.
tgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #53
Katelyn
Addict

Yea, I have been banging a big drum anywhere I can about this fraud. He's now saying the zenpad will ship in 10 days. I just have to laugh. Here is my post in the Engadget forums today:

Alberto, I'm still waiting for any reply to my plethora of emails to you. You have no shame. What's hysterical is you are still trying to blame the delay on the factory.

The zenpad has NOTHING added and has only the stock Android 1.5 OS. If the order had really been placed, the units would have been shipped to Enso from the factory within weeks, not months. See the manufacturer's site - delivery lead time - 2 weeks. http://www.hktdc.com/sourcing/produc...et_Device.html

Also, gotta love Alberto's last line in his blog, "We appreciate that not everybody thinks we are a scam." Oh yea, who? Show me one email, blog, post, anything that indicates you have even one supporter. I think you're delusional. Just send me my zenpad.

From the blog at Enso-now.com

Personally, i would have loved if just Engadget used less harsh tones, but well, you know what happened. Anyhows I do think that their review is a little biased, because of all the troubles we caused to them. Let me say what i think : First of all the screen is usable, it just needs to be calibrated, and there is an installed app for that.
Buttons layout is not casually spitted out, I use the device daily and it just has a steeper learning curve, but once you get used to it, it just feels good and quite confortable. Going ahead, the digital compass ability is via GPS only, and there are apps for that in the official Android Market. The Android market itself is included, works and installs applications correctly. There are applications to open any video format, including flash and AVIs. Regarding the Android version, it was our mistake to mention version 1.6 on our website. We have achieved a porting of a newer android version but it is not stable yet. We will release it in the next weeks, after shippings have started. The procedure for upgrading will be simple and clearly explained. This will solve the minor quirks that Engadget mentioned about playing videos.
There have been additional delays regarding the manufacturing process but everything is solved and delivery is set for the next 10 days; the same day we will receive the goods, a tracking number will be sent to each customer. There will be no more waiting. Please apologize for lack of communication, we hope you can understand we want to provide you a final delivery date. Anyway thanks Engadget for regarding us as a real company and for their hands-on and unboxing.

We appreciate that not everybody thinks we are a scam.

Posted in Announcements By Alberto Armandi
Old 06-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #54
Dellaster
本の虫

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto Armandi
Anyway thanks Engadget for regarding us as a real company and for their hands-on and unboxing.

We appreciate that not everybody thinks we are a scam.
So Engadget received and reviewed a SMiT MID-560A (it even still has the SMiT logo on the front). In what way does this imply "not a scam"? How hard is it for a company based in China to get a single unit made in China and send it off?

There have been too many contradictory statements and broken promises (lies) in past 2.5 months since they claimed the zenPad was shipping. So now it's another ten days and, oh so sorry, they made a slight boo-boo in stating all along that it has Android 1.6? Really?!

Is it reasonable to believe anything this guy says at this point?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #55
Katelyn
Addict

Gotta give this guy props for keeping us entertained. I am in awe of his self-aggrandizement
(self-ag·gran·dize·ment (sĕlfˌə-grănˈdĭz-mənt)
noun
The act or practice of enhancing or exaggerating one's own importance, power, or reputation.)

From his latest blog -
---------------------
6/2/10 2:29 PM
This will probably be our next product
We know that it's not time to come out with new products, given the delays and mess we created.
But we think and hope that at this point, all of you understood that this is not a scam, and we are a real company.
If you never did business with Chinese companies, you won't know how hard it is.
Sometimes it can get very ugly, with long time delaying and various difficulties, apart those who stormed us since the start.
Like Engadget sudden first review and the hundreds of angry customers who ordered and are still waiting.
We did not manage to offer refunds because Paypal, once again, limited our accounts, and that means we cannot issue refunds. If you don't believe this, just ask them.
But we will finally be able to ship imminently, that means probably we will start next week.
The whole process should completed in just a few days.

Many reviews will be available on web soon, so don't stick just with engadget's point of view, i think you will like your zenpad.
So please stop asking refunds and send crazy emails, we won't be replyin' to everybody and repeating that there is a delay.
Once we will able to ship you will be immediately noticed and sent a tracking number.

Ok, now let's talk about the new device

Operatying System : Android 1.5 ( upgraded to 2.0 in couple of weeks )
Display : 800x480 Resistive high quality touchscreen, can be used with just fingers.
CPU : Marvell PXA303 Xscale 624 Mhz
RAM : 128 MB
FLASH NAND ROM : 256 MB
microSD card : up to 32 gb
Connectivity : WiFi a/b/g - embedded 3G WCDMA or EVDO , embedded GPS
Battery : Lithium battery ,2500mAh/7.4V,up to 4.5 hours on wifi.
Dimensions : 152mm x 83mm x 16.5mm
Weight : 510 grams

I am testing personally the device and it works quite well, the 3G modem from HUAWEI is very fast.
It features also an embedded accelerometer. Here are some pictures. :
Old 06-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #56
Katelyn
Addict

You've got to be kidding LOL!

latest blogs today -
Old 06-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #57
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Katelyn,

Hopefully you were able to cancel your order. I cancelled immediately after Engadget's posting. Then I read Enso's blog and knew I made the right choice. These ppl are crazy.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #58
mby90300
mby90300 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello from France,

I'am very happy to find - at last - some people speaking about this Enso Android tablet !
I did an order (In April 7th) of 2 tablets ... and until now, I received nothing !
Unfortunately, I asked too late to Paypal some help (More than 45 days after the purchasing date) and they can't do anything for me.
Of course, all my Email sent to Enso was without answer ... and my account from the website has been canceled !
I would really appreciate if somebody could tell me what I could do to get back my money !

Thanks in advance and congratulations for this very interesting forum !
Regards,
Michel.

Last edited by mby90300; 07-11-2010 at 01:12 PM.
mby90300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #59
jjfarren
jjfarren began at the beginning.

Device: none
We are actually starting shipping zenPads.

Hi, this is Alberto Armandi Director of Enso Limited. We can ensure that we are starting shipping imminently, within the next 2 days all customers will receive their tracking numbers. If you really want to ask for a refund you can place a chargeback request with your credit card company as per the instructions mentioned in our latest blog post.
Thanks
jjfarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #60
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfarren View Post
Hi, this is Alberto Armandi Director of Enso Limited. We can ensure that we are starting shipping imminently, within the next 2 days all customers will receive their tracking numbers. If you really want to ask for a refund you can place a chargeback request with your credit card company as per the instructions mentioned in our latest blog post.
Thanks
Hi all,

AA, please excuse me for writing this - I mean no offence - but I am unsure if your advice regarding refunds is appropriate. My feeling is that it may not be:

A while ago, I got stung by an eBay purchase and went direct to my credit card company for a refund, rather than use the PayPal dispute process. I received an email from PayPal threatening me with a permanent ban if I did it again.

Since my knowledge is dated, I'd ask if other members can enlighten us regarding AA's advice (or JJFarren). PayPal is very useful (for overseas purchases), and jeopardizing one's status is something I'm sure we'd all rather avoid.

Regards to all,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote