Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
OS X Mavericks is out!

Here is the link for those interested. You can install the full package and install from all the way back to Snow Leopard, nice!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x...75248567?mt=12

Considering I'm on the Mavericks beta, it still let me download the full thing again. This was such a hassle with Lion and Mountain Lion betas apparently.

Celebrate and spend that $20 you saved with the free update.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Free is a good price.

Looking forward to iBooks and ability to have menus on any screen.

I'll probably wait a bit, though. My main concern is that it will break Fusion: I'm still on v4. It still works okay on 10.8 (though not officially supported) and there are a few reports that it works on Mavericks as well, but if not I'll need to upgrade for $50 and hope my VMs still work.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
Downloading it right now. And it is downloading pretty quickly. I thought it would be slow today. Can't wait to see it.!
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelreader View Post
Downloading it right now. And it is downloading pretty quickly. I thought it would be slow today. Can't wait to see it.!
I think because a LOT of people jumped on the beta this time around. A lot of us had so many issues on Lion and Mountain Lion and started hearing about how smooth Mavericks was compared to them, so there wasn't a rush as most are on the golden master already.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Beware if you have a Logitech mouse

Beware if you have a Logitech mouse running Unifying Software, there will be issues. My Anywhere MX is freezing up when I open apps. It unfreezes after a while, but it is very frustrating. I researched the issue and it is because Logitech won't release an updated driver for Mavericks. Seems like a lot of people with various Logitech devices are having issues.
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
A little over 5 GB download and about 35 more minutes to install on my MBA. I like how I got an advisory on my iPhone that my MBA signed into my iCloud/iMessage services. If it wasn't me I'd at least have a chance to do something about it quickly.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Beware if you have a Logitech mouse running Unifying Software, there will be issues. My Anywhere MX is freezing up when I open apps. It unfreezes after a while, but it is very frustrating. I researched the issue and it is because Logitech won't release an updated driver for Mavericks. Seems like a lot of people with various Logitech devices are having issues.
Wow that is not good! Unifying Software is on both of my Mac's. The old one I was waiting for the new Mac Mini to show up, and I am beginning to wonder if it ever is! The way the prices have increased on the other Apple products I wonder if they are not going to continue Mac Mini or hike that price up good. Then is the Haswell processor really worth the wait?

I am getting the freezing up on my Snow Leopard all the time, I have to manually shut the Mini off 1-2 times a day. But I believe it is the slow processor and the larger software it is trying to run. Or???
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Wow that is not good! Unifying Software is on both of my Mac's. The old one I was waiting for the new Mac Mini to show up, and I am beginning to wonder if it ever is! The way the prices have increased on the other Apple products I wonder if they are not going to continue Mac Mini or hike that price up good. Then is the Haswell processor really worth the wait?

I am getting the freezing up on my Snow Leopard all the time, I have to manually shut the Mini off 1-2 times a day. But I believe it is the slow processor and the larger software it is trying to run. Or???
I have an old (and cheap) Targus mouse (really small) that connects to the Mac by USB cable. I plugged it in so that when my Logitech mouse freezes I still can control the cursor. Having two mice connected is a kludge solution, but it will have to do until Logitech updates the drivers.

I think I found another issue with Mavericks. Ever since updating, my Mac Mail (OS X stock app) has slowed way down and doesn't seem to be updating the mail very often. I can't find a setting to set how often it checks for new mail. It has frozen a few times and not found mail that has already been delivered to my iPhone and iPad. I have last years Mac Mini (late Fall of 2012).

Last edited by jswinden; 10-24-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have an old (and cheap) Targus mouse (really small) that connects to the Mac by USB cable. I plugged it in so that when my Logitech mouse freezes I still can control the cursor. Having two mice connected is a kludge solution, but it will have to do until Logitech updates the drivers.

I think I found another issue with Mavericks. Ever since updating, my Mac Mail (OS X stock app) has slowed way down and doesn't seem to be updating the mail very often. I can't find a setting to set how often it checks for new mail. It has frozen a few times and not found mail that has already been delivered to my iPhone and iPad. I have last years Mac Mini (late Fall of 2012).
My Mini (old one) is from 2007, so it probably can't handle the Snow Leopard software. I am thinking of reloading the software from scratch in case it is something else (virus?).

I noticed my Ipod Touch 4th Gen in the last several days now says unable to/ or can't retrieve email message, but then it does. Is it all of Apple products that are acting a bit flakey?

My other Mac has Lion, but I am not to eager to update yet to Mavericks, especially if Logitech Unifying keyboards and mice aren't working.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
My Mini (old one) is from 2007, so it probably can't handle the Snow Leopard software. I am thinking of reloading the software from scratch in case it is something else (virus?).

I noticed my Ipod Touch 4th Gen in the last several days now says unable to/ or can't retrieve email message, but then it does. Is it all of Apple products that are acting a bit flakey?

My other Mac has Lion, but I am not to eager to update yet to Mavericks, especially if Logitech Unifying keyboards and mice aren't working.
I haven't had any issues with the iOS devices, other than iOS looking like poop, but that is aesthetics. So far only the Logitech driver issue and Mail app for Mavericks issues.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard

So far, the only thing that is not working for me is CINEMA 4D Lite, but that hasn't work at all since I installed Adobe After Effects. And then I had to download Autodesk Maya twice because it didn't give me the service pack that made it compatible with the later Mavericks betas.

Let's hope that the wild printer that just showed up out of nowhere five minutes ago will hook up.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #12
new

Quote:

Is your Mac Mini the i5 version? That is what one of mine is. Has it slowed down your computer at all? That is what I am concerned with, it is probably quite large (software).

Can you pm when your Logitech problem gets cleared up? I am not going to install Maverick or buy a new computer with it on there til it gets fixed. It is my home theater, gotta have the unified keyboard and mice. Thanks
Old 10-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Is your Mac Mini the i5 version? That is what one of mine is. Has it slowed down your computer at all? That is what I am concerned with, it is probably quite large (software).

Can you pm when your Logitech problem gets cleared up? I am not going to install Maverick or buy a new computer with it on there til it gets fixed. It is my home theater, gotta have the unified keyboard and mice. Thanks
Yes, I've got an i5 processor in my Mac Mini. I put 16 GB of RAM in it though, and that helps a lot on speed. I haven't noticed any slow downs with Mavericks, other than Mail app being a bit slow to retrieve new mail. Apple claims that Mavericks runs faster than Mountain Lion, but I don't really see any noticeable difference.

I will PM you when Logitech fixes the drivers.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I upgraded to Mavericks on my 2009 MBP and even though it runs great, I have a big beef with it. I think I had somehow turned all anti-aliasing (AKA FUZZY BLURRY TEXT) off in Mountain Lion. Now there seems to be no way to change it in Mavericks or in Safari. Fuzzy blurry text everywhere is driving me nuts.

eP

Last edited by elemenoP; 10-25-2013 at 10:53 AM.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #15
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Unhappy

I think I won't be upgrading from Mountain Lion. Upgrading OSs often brings at least as much headache as joy.

Upgrading to Mavericks may be free, but upgrading my virtualisation software is not. Parallels Desktop want me to pay €50 to them for a Mavericks upgrade. That sucks.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote